Text messaging question.

rzunig1

Reaction score
I did a quick search and didn't find any posts relating to text message limits.

I have what I believe is a Motorola Droid 1 (How do I find out for sure?) using Verizon as my carrier. I'm pretty sure it's the first generation Motorola Droid.

Here is my issue:
I was told that any text message sent to me that is larger than the standard 160 characters, would be split up into two or more messages. This is not happening on my phone, and I'm wondering if this is an OS problem, phone problem, or if I just need to call Verizon to have them investigate?

I have gotten several texts that were cut off, never to receive the rest of the message.

Also, is there a way to have text messages forwarded to an email address as a backup?

Thanks.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
IF your phone looks like this, it's a Droid 1: motorola-droid.jpg

It within the settings I believe, where you need to change the setting. Something about splitting messages more than 160 words into two messages.
I'm not aware of any app that'll forward messages to email, but you can check out SMS backup

OP
R

rzunig1

Reaction score
Yep, that's my phone.
I looked at every option in the settings, and saw nothing about splitting messages. I will go through them again anyway.

There is a "text message limit" option, but that is for how many text messages to save, and doesn't have anything to do with the message size or splitting.

Thanks.

dolpns13

Reaction score
My old, non data phone, used to split text messages over 160 characters. I have a Droid 1 and it does split the messages, but i think it is more than 160 characters, alot more... It shouldnt really make too much difference because the text messages are actually threads and you can easily see the split messages.

OP
R

rzunig1

Reaction score
Same here. My old blackberry used to split the messages. With my Droid 1, I get the first part of the message, and I never get the rest of it.

I was able to forward the text message to my email, and it is 160 characters, up to where it was cut off.

Here is the exact message:

"(kinda tsar related computer question) So my laptop crashed and I was unable to transfer data from my hard drive before it did. I really want my TOPO! and Garm"

Hope this helps.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Try a 3rd party app such as handcent. Also if the person sending the text turned that option off then that could be why you're only getting one.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Try a 3rd party app such as handcent. Also if the person sending the text turned that option off then that could be why you're only getting one.

Go SMS is another option that allows a few more options than Stock SMS...these apps are similar but it comes down to personal preference if you like one of them IMO...