Text messages - Reply All

dsmusicbox

Reaction score
I couldn't find this topic in the forum, so I finally decided to ask!

Whenever one of my contacts sends a text message to multiple people and I respond, the message is then sent to everyone in the message. The first time it happened my boss was included on the original message, and the response went to her also! Thankfully nothing was inappropriate in the message, but I had no idea that 1-message went to multiple people, and 2- that it would be sent to everyone included in one message via reply all style.

I have a droid 3, and use handcent for messaging. I have not thus far found any settings in this program or the stock messaging to assist with this. I am rooted, but only for sake of freezing apps at this time. Short of checking each message to see if it is sent to multiple people, is there a setting that I am missing to disable "reply all?"

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

jamesjones25

Reaction score
Good question. When I receive a text sent to multiple ppl I automaticly assume it will reply to all instead of one person. I will looking to see if your question gets answered.

Natey2

Reaction score
I hear Blackberrys have an option to enable reply all. I can't find a similar text messaging option on my DroidX.
Maybe someone has already filed a feature request with Handcent to implement this option..

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

xtremeosiris

Reaction score
I believe the iPhone 4s has a new feature that does the reply all. We use texting at work a lot with many group messages and it never use to be a problem but recently when the message is sent from an iPhone to other iPhone people then it replies to all, super annoying. So maybe its only when an iPhone originates the message?

OP
dsmusicbox

dsmusicbox

Reaction score
I can't say for sure on the Iphone, but I know my coworker also has a D3. She was one who has sent me mass messages and my response goes to the whole lot. Things that make you go hmmmm...

Shimmy549

Reaction score
If you get a message that's sent to multiple people and only want to respond to the sender, long-press the message box and choose "Reply to sender." That should do the trick.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Shimmy549

Reaction score
By the way, it seems that there is no setting that can be changed to permanently switch to "Reply to sender." It seems hard to believe, but I think someone would've figured it out by now.

So far, the long-press seems like the easiest way to respond to the sender and no one else.

Alcapwn89

Reaction score
This isn't really the Droid 3's fault; it depends on what phone the sender has and how it groups text's that are to more then one person. A lot of phones are starting to send them as MMS messages instead of breaking them up into individual SMS messages and that's when this happens. The Droid 3 actually does this by default also, but I turned it off because it was also annoying all my friends.

Also good tip on that long press> reply to sender suggestion, I didn't know that existed! :)

OP
dsmusicbox

dsmusicbox

Reaction score
I do not see the "reply to sender" option in handcent or the stock messaging program. I've tried a myriad of combinations to find it and no such luck. I can live with the original discussed scenario now that I know to watch who I am replying to, but a tweak to avoid it would be nice.

Thanks!

Shimmy549

Reaction score
No combinations of anything involved. Press and hold down on the conversation box that was sent to multiple people and a menu will pop up. "Reply to sender" is an option in the menu.

OP
dsmusicbox

dsmusicbox

Reaction score
I ended up finding it in the stock messaging program. I am not sure how I didn't see it before, unless I was using a message that was not sent to multiple recipients. I am using Handcent otherwise and do not see this option. Next best bet is just to press the contact photo and select text. Ah well. Thanks.

Shimmy549

Reaction score
Maybe you don't see it because it's at the bottom? It's a scroll-down menu.

I'm using the stock app, by the way. Just to clarify, you are long-pressing a message that was sent to more than just you, right?

OP
dsmusicbox

dsmusicbox

Reaction score
I edited my above message :) It was the last option in the stock messaging program - I had a few messages from one person, 2 of which were to multiple people. I can only guess I had been selecting the wrong message, thus no reply to sender option. Thanks for your help.

Shimmy549

Reaction score
Oops, sorry.

Not a problem. I'm still holding out hope that someday I'll find a setting hidden somewhere that allows users to switch "reply all" to "reply to sender" permanently. My dreams are modest-haha.