Text Message Replies Going to Senders Home Email

ddrackley

Reaction score
My wife sent me 2 text messages today from her phone, to which I replied from my phone. The trouble is, she didn't get the replies on her phone. Instead, she got them in her Home email. We decided to test this out by me creating a new message and sending it to her Mobile. She replied to that message, which came back to my phone. However, once I replied to her reply, my message back to her ended up going to her Home email as specified in her contact info. On the message screen it's showing her mobile phone number at the top, so I would assume my reply should go to her mobile - as it's always worked prior to this latest software update. If I remove her Home email from her contact info, the issue goes away. However, if I add that email back to her contact info, the problem returns. The recent software update was the Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) on 9/29. I have an HTC Rezound. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dean

acejavelin

Reaction score
This is a new one to me and I really am not sure where to start with this one... are you using the stock HTC Message app? When you look at a message she sends you does it look something like this:

Wife (M (909)555-1212): Hello dear
10:15 PM

Like this:
View attachment 56661

and is the number displayed next to the name correct in the message thread?

And I gotta ask... did you do a factory reset after getting the OTA update? It is highly recommended...

Last edited:

marleyinoc

Reaction score
Any chance she's texting via google voice? (accidentally chose as default perhaps?)

-Bionic 6.7.247 via HoB

marioval

Reaction score
You could always try deleting her then recreating her as a contact from scratch.... The Google Voice thing is a good thing to check also.

OP
D

ddrackley

Reaction score
This is a new one to me and I really am not sure where to start with this one... are you using the stock HTC Message app? When you look at a message she sends you does it look something like this:

Wife (M (909)555-1212): Hello dear
10:15 PM

Like this:
View attachment 56661

and is the number displayed next to the name correct in the message thread?

And I gotta ask... did you do a factory reset after getting the OTA update? It is highly recommended...

acejavelin,

Yes, I was using the HTC Message app (Messages), and the messages we sent back and forth look like the screenshot you provided. And yes, her phone number next to her name is correct as well. I did not do a factory reset after the software update. I'll take your word for it that it's highly recommended, but that seems a bit extreme for a software update. Doesn't that wipe out all the data on my phone? Just to recap, this starts off as text messaging between our 2 phones, but on my replies back to her, if I click on my message and view message details, it says it's going to her email address that's listed as "Home" in her contact info. This happens if she sends me the text first and I reply, and also if I send her the text first and I reply back to her reply to my text. What is the reason for the factory reset, and how do I do that?

Thanks,
Dean

OP
D

ddrackley

Reaction score
You could always try deleting her then recreating her as a contact from scratch.... The Google Voice thing is a good thing to check also.

marioval,

Deleting her as a contact and re-adding her is a good idea. One concern I have with that is that this may affect my other contacts as well and I just don't know it yet. If that's the case, I'd have to delete and re-add all of them.

Thanks,
Dean

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
acejavelin,

Yes, I was using the HTC Message app (Messages), and the messages we sent back and forth look like the screenshot you provided. And yes, her phone number next to her name is correct as well. I did not do a factory reset after the software update. I'll take your word for it that it's highly recommended, but that seems a bit extreme for a software update. Doesn't that wipe out all the data on my phone? Just to recap, this starts off as text messaging between our 2 phones, but on my replies back to her, if I click on my message and view message details, it says it's going to her email address that's listed as "Home" in her contact info. This happens if she sends me the text first and I reply, and also if I send her the text first and I reply back to her reply to my text. What is the reason for the factory reset, and how do I do that?

Thanks,
Dean

Ace is dead on here. A factory reset after the ICS update will probably cure what ails you. I was going to suggest it earlier but wanted to wait until we saw what the outcome of the other suggestions was. So unfortunately, there you go.

acejavelin

Reaction score
marioval,

Deleting her as a contact and re-adding her is a good idea. One concern I have with that is that this may affect my other contacts as well and I just don't know it yet. If that's the case, I'd have to delete and re-add all of them.

Thanks,
Dean
I have deleted single contacts and readded them many times without effecting any other contacts. It will only erase the Phone or Google contact info, if the contact is a Facebook, Exchange, or other account they are synced differently and will not be effected either, so you might delete the Google contact but the person will still show in your contacts if they are also a Facebook contact, just re-add the person in as a Google contact (I never use the "phone" contact, they are not backed up by Google) and add the information back in, then you should be prompted to relink the accounts within a few minutes.

OP
D

ddrackley

Reaction score
I have deleted single contacts and readded them many times without effecting any other contacts. It will only erase the Phone or Google contact info, if the contact is a Facebook, Exchange, or other account they are synced differently and will not be effected either, so you might delete the Google contact but the person will still show in your contacts if they are also a Facebook contact, just re-add the person in as a Google contact (I never use the "phone" contact, they are not backed up by Google) and add the information back in, then you should be prompted to relink the accounts within a few minutes.

Sorry, what I meant to say was that I was concerned that the texting issue itself may affect other contacts, and that I would end up deleting and readding each one of my contacts. Sorry for the confusion.

On a positive note, I did the Factory Reset (which I'll assume is the same as the Factory Data Reset), and so far things seem to be working properly. Thank you all for your help!

- Dean

OP
D

ddrackley

Reaction score
Ace is dead on here. A factory reset after the ICS update will probably cure what ails you. I was going to suggest it earlier but wanted to wait until we saw what the outcome of the other suggestions was. So unfortunately, there you go.

Thanks Mr Smith,

Just out of curiousity, am I alone in thiking that having to perform a Factory Reset is a bit much just because the phone's software was upgraded? By comparison, I have a Playstation 3 that regularly downloads and installs system updates. However, it has never had any issues, nor has it ever required me to reset the system and start over from scratch. Just seems a bit odd to me. At any rate, I'm glad my phone's working now.

Thanks again,
Dean

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Most updates do not require an fdr but ICS was a major update that changed the whole operating system causing conflict between the old OS (gingerbread) and the new one. Some people have survived without doing an FDR but most have found that doing one is necessary.