1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

text message problem

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 3' started by dbsf2004, Dec 23, 2011.

1. dbsf2004

dbsf2004 New Member

Some people are telling me when i send them text messages from my Droid 3 that all they recieve is square boxes. This is from verizon to verizon in the same town. Any ideas please.
  2. Shimmy549

Shimmy549 New Member

My first suggestion would be to clear the cache of your messaging app (Manage Apps>Text Messaging>Clear Cache).

I'll also suggest installing an alternative app for texting, like Handcent. If clearing the cache doesn't do the trick, try using another program to send texts. If people receive normal texts from the third-party app, you'll at least have the ability to send texts while you try to hash out the problem.

Have you rooted or ROM'd recently?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
  3. Alcapwn89

Alcapwn89 New Member

Are you using any weird characters in your texts or do you have a "signature" attached to your texts? Usually square boxes mean the operating system doesen't know what the character is because it does not recognize it.

I remember back when the Droid 1 came out, I just got it and had it for a week or two and was texting my GF. I accidentally hit then shift key and some letter that had a really weird symbol on it, typed it out on screen and accidentally sent the text. Her blackberry freaked out and gave her 5 pages of gibberish for one character! We were able to do it repeatedly also; it was because of this one weird font thing.

Sadly I don't see the same one on my Droid 3 so they must have removed it :( it looked like the symbol for the Euro, but thinner and more jagged looking.
  4. Shimmy549

Shimmy549 New Member

I hate not knowing if my suggestions worked-lol.

5. Dri94

Dri94 New Member

i know this happens alot if im texting phones earlier than jun2011. the droid3 has some characters that other phones do not. if i text a samsung phone, forget what its called, and i use the ... button, the samsung phone restarts. so i just use all normal characters in texts now
  6. wendee2150

wendee2150 New Member

This has happened to me too. But I just asked a question like what is jenn's cell number? And all they got was a screen full of squares.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
  7. Shimmy549

Shimmy549 New Member

From what I've been reading, the problem usually only affects certain phone models. I've never had this happen to any of the phones I've texted, but I know it can happen.

Out of curiosity, does this happen when using the hardware and virtual keyboards, or only one or the other?

Also, were/are the affected phones on Verizon?

My best guess is still to try a third-party app or maybe a third-party keyboard.

8. mikedyk43

mikedyk43 New Member

This could happen if you are sending texts in a font that the receiving phone does not have.
Search tags for this page

boxes in text messages

droid 2 squares in message
sms is all square

squares in text messages

text message is all squares

text message square symbol

text messages appear as boxes

texting square meaning
two squares text message
what are boxes in text messages
what do squares mean in texting