"Text Message Not Sent" Notification keeps coming up

MarkPhlipy

Reaction score
Text Message Not Sent

I have the same problem today, Frank. Received an MMS message with a photo, after it downloaded and I clicked the message a pop-up came up "A read receipt will be sent, Yes/No" I clicked Yes thinking I had to in order to view the message. Suddenly now that "text message not sent" notification keeps popping up.

I've deleted the original message/photo, rebooted the phone (soft reboot, on and off) twice, even cleared the messaging and SMS cache in the Applications settings, no luck.

I saw a similar post from almost a YEAR ago for the Droid X forum on line, and there was talk about 3rd party SMS applications like HandCent that when loaded allowed access to the "unsent messages" queue. But I never had any SMS app other than stock, and I really would rather FIX the problem than work around it!

Seems the only answer those folks got from Verizon was (wait for it) "Factory Reset."

Now I know there are some Verizon techs on this forum, but since I've gotten MY G2G, I've heard that mantra over and over from Level 2 Techs - "Sorry, sir, but you'll have to perform a factory reset." Why cannot we FIX the problem?

Sometimes...only sometimes mind you, I wish I had bought an iPhone (shiver).

Anyway, hopefully someone will notice this thread and give us some insight.

Thanks for posting Frank.
Mark P.

MarkPhlipy

Reaction score
Text Message Not Sent

This is the first thread where I've seen a Droid Forum rep reply, so I'll repost this here in hopes 252ChevyBoyz will be able to direct me.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...suggestions/145377-text-message-not-sent.html

Have found five threads now across the forum with this same problem, and so far, other than downloading HandCent, which I'm not crazy about doing, I've seen no fix.

Received an MMS message with a photo, after it downloaded and I clicked the message a pop-up came up "A read receipt will be sent, Yes/No" I clicked Yes thinking I had to in order to view the message. Suddenly now that "text message not sent" notification keeps popping up.

I've deleted the original message/photo, rebooted the phone (soft reboot, on and off) twice, even cleared the messaging and SMS cache in the Applications settings, no luck.

I saw a similar post from almost a YEAR ago for the Droid X forum on line, and there was talk about 3rd party SMS applications like HandCent that when loaded allowed access to the "unsent messages" queue. But I never had any SMS app other than stock, and I really would rather FIX the problem than work around it!

AND, I don't really want to do a factory reset, either.

Tried shutting off the stock app notifications, clearing the Text Messaging and Messaging caches, force closing them, then restarting the phone, taking out the battery, and all combinations of the above.

Still getting the "Text Message Not Sent" notification.

And it's somehow linked to this "read receipt" business. And since it only seems to pop up when I enter the SMS/MMS application itself (not when I turn the phone back on), I wonder, too, if it's a message stuck in Verizon's server, and not a problem on my end necessarily.

Any help would be grand for me and the other five or so users facing the problem.

Thanks.
Mark P.

MarkPhlipy

Reaction score
Text Message Not Sent

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...suggestions/145377-text-message-not-sent.html

This is thread number six, I believe, with the same problem, and so far, the ONLY fix I've seen anywhere is to download a third party app called HandCent that allows you to delete unsent or enqueued messages.

I'm still looking for a fix that doesn't require third party app or hard reset. So far no luck, and you're user #6 or 7 that has this same "Text Message Not Sent" pop-up. See the thread above that I found first.

Hopefully the trackback will help keep us all in the loop.
Mark

MarkPhlipy

Reaction score
Text Message Not Sent

Still struggling with this one because I DO NOT want to have to resort to installing a third party app when this should be a FIX that either Droid (Google) or Verizon make.

We shouldn't have to work around these technical issues, but I have YET to see a moderator address this, and this is thread #7 I've found on this same issue.

Received an MMS message with a photo, after it downloaded and I clicked the message a pop-up came up "A read receipt will be sent, Yes/No" I clicked Yes thinking I had to in order to view the message. Suddenly now that "text message not sent" notification keeps popping up.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/tech-issues-bug-reports-suggestions/145377-text-message-not-sent.html

MarkPhlipy

Reaction score
Text Message Not Sent

Eight thread with this same problem listed, other than HandCent and hard reset, no fix. Can't imagine this many people having a problem and STILL no fix from Google/Android or Verizon.

I've deleted the original message/photo, rebooted the phone (soft reboot, on and off) twice, even cleared the messaging and text messaging caches in the Applications settings, no luck.

MarkPhlipy

Reaction score
Text Message Not Sent

I've deleted the original message/photo, rebooted the phone (soft reboot, on and off) twice, even cleared the messaging and Text Messaging cache in the Applications settings, no luck.

This is the ninth thread I've found on this topic, over a dozen members complaining, only fix I've seen is to load HandCent (not really looking for a third party work around, I would like to see a FIX) or hard reset.

Anyone from the forum moderators to a Verizon or Google/Android tech would be helpful to hear from....why do we tolerate not fixing problems like this from the product manufacturer? If a car started honking the horn incessantly for no apparent reason, would we get a new steering wheel, or fix the horn?

Mark P.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/tech-issues-bug-reports-suggestions/145377-text-message-not-sent.html

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hello boss. I have the same notification come up from time to time and it could be the person's phone that your sending to like if they might not have signal.

Couple things I do if I have it occur multiple times in a row is (do a "battery pull" or toggle in and out of "airplane mode" ). Doing a battery pull will just restart all processes on your phone and airplane mode cuts the signal/data on and off. Doing a battery pull every couple days isn't a bad idea or atleast reboot every couple days. If your real picky you can do it like once a day but every couple days seems to work pretty good as far as keeping it running smooth.

Also could try going menu/settings/applications/running services and stop the "google messaging service" which would restart the messaging service. When you stop it the process will start itself back up with the first text message or email.

When you selected yes to the option that popped up what happened was when you read the message the phone sent a message back to the other person saying that you had read it.

One final solution would be to download a file manager such as "ASTRO" and go into the sd card and go to the "downloads" folder and maybe delete the photo/video.

Also might try to hook the phone up to the computer in "pc mode" which unmounts the sd card when its hooked up and then the phone remounts the sd card when you unhook it from the computer.

If you wanted to unmount then remount the sd card manually then just go menu/settings/sd card & phone storage/unmount sd card. Then to re mount it go menu/settings/sd card & phone storage/mount sd card.

Hope this can help and if nothing seems to be helping post back and let us know.

Sent from my Liberated D2

Last edited:

MarkPhlipy

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response Chevy. Tried all you suggested, most prior to my posts here. So far NO LUCK. Deleted the MMS-sent photo, rebooted, unmounted the SD card, nothing.

I'm still stuck thinking from all I've read that this is yet another network glitch with Verizon, like the one I had in January that caused all my real-time widgets to stop working.

Is there anyone at Verizon or Google/Android to look into these issues?

Thanks again.
Mark

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Its not a problem and I hope this problem can be fixed but when it happens to me the messages actually do reach the recipiant because they reply back. I'm with you on this one because I think it really might be a network glitch kinda like a false message. Maybe it will be fixed in a OTA update from VZW or something. Hopefully we as users on a open android OS can fix it ourselves. Hopefully someone can join the conversation and shed some light on this situation.

Sent from my Liberated D2

stevenbolt

Reaction score
Had same problem for a week. I went through every thing you did. I found solution after reading your post. Go to text settings, turn off message auto retrieve, clear all notifications off of bar. Then switch from text to home a few times to make sure it doesn't come back. Finally turn message auto retrieve back on. Problem solved. I don't know why or how it works but I tried everything except "reset" :(

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

nrbuhrow

Reaction score
Thank you gsu_golfer it was helpful for my wife's droid 2 global. And everyone who looks at this thread needs to read the posts before posting "hey i need help" and I wouldn't expect any typical person at a verizon store to know how to fix every possible problem with cell phones.

kabeeo

Reaction score
any resolution?

Just got the Droid 3. Love it as I did my 2. The text messaging receipt thing though is a problem. On the Verizon program the messages each have an error message saying that they weren't sent. In Handcent I can see for a moment that the sent icon shows up but then the dreaded red exclamation point shows up as an error. All the messages are being sent and received but like most people I take great comfort in those green check marks in Handcent. Plus the incorrect error messages are just annoying. And it worked great on my Droid 2! Does anybody know the deal? The Level 2 tech at Verizon tells me it's not a known problem and I would have to do a hard reset which I am not doing having just gotten all my apps and settings put in. Anybody? verizon?

dpouzts

Reaction score
Solution from gsu_golfer with "text notification messages not being sent" and Handcent asolutely worked on my Droid 2. Thanks!

PS My Verizon store people didn't know what to do either.

Last edited:

kabeeo

Reaction score
Thanks. But still no solution. I think it must be a Verizon issue. Or an incombatibility thing with the Droid 3.