Text Message Limit

Emdot

Reaction score
When I upgraded to 2.2 the limit was set to 200 and it purged like 900 texts from one of my conversations. Afterward, I tried to set it higher but it looks like it maxes out at 1000? Any way to just disable this?

Thanks for any insight

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Mine (Handcent) had an option for No Limit so I checked that. Are you rooted?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
E

Emdot

Reaction score
Not rooted, but will root if it enables me to remove the limiter. I also have Handcent but have other problems with it sending MMS.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Not rooted, but will root if it enables me to remove the limiter. I also have Handcent but have other problems with it sending MMS.

Oh ok. I was asking because there's an app called SMS Backup & Restore that I use between switching ROMs. But, Handcent only asked me when I open it for the first time after a data wipe, I have been unable to find the option manually though.

qmr55

Reaction score
Just upgraded from my OG Droid to the Bionic, loving it!

One thing I noticed is my old option to check off "Delete Old Messages" is gone. Now you can set a limit to 1000 max, but you can't uncheck the "Delete Old Messages" box so it never deletes anything. Any reason why they did this? Anyone have a way around it yet?

Thanks a ton!

qmr55

Reaction score
Didn't know that happened but I use go sms so I have that option. You should try it out.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

I thought about using that! So there is no limit in that app? Even though it uses the stock app to retrieve the messages?

Thank you!

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Open text. From all threads or a individual thread depending on what you want, then Menu>select multiple. You get ghosted check boxes. Hit the ones you want and then delete

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
PS after Select multiple>menu>select all if you are not picking and choosing threads

qmr55

Reaction score
Thank you but I'm looking for the option where the phone doesn't delete my messages automatically. Not trying to delete them myself.

For example...the OG droid you could uncheck "Delete Old Messages" and it would NEVER delete messages. Now you can't do that on the Bionic and can only set a limit. So at 1000 texts, they will begin to delete.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Idk if there is a limit but I set each conversation to have a limited of 400 texts with auto deletion of the old ones. I personally don't want thousands of texts on my phone, that's why I set a limit.

qmr55

Reaction score
Idk if there is a limit but I set each conversation to have a limited of 400 texts with auto deletion of the old ones. I personally don't want thousands of texts on my phone, that's why I set a limit.

Just found it in the Settings > Advanced > Application Settings!

Love this app, thanks for the recommendation!

kpoker

Reaction score
My old D1 had unlimited per conversation so I have my saved message. 1 conversation with 3k+ messages. Is there anyway to keep it as unlimited. Default setting is 200 but you can change that to 999. Nothing larger?

MidgetGiraffe

Reaction score
the most per conversation is only 1000 sadly at least for now it might be changed with future updates but i wouldn't count on it

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

kpoker

Reaction score
That kind of sucks. I prefer a droid but are the new iphones also having message limits? Seems dumb with so much memory available and considering the d1 had unlimited.