Text Message App?

Bahester

Reaction score
I'm looking for an app that will show me the number of texts over the little message icon in my home screen. For example if I recieve 3 texts while I'm away a little "3" over the message icon. Same for email. Does anyone know of an app that does this?

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
Not sure of an app forthat, but if you use LauncherPro, if you go into the settings for it and click on dock settings, you can have it do exactly what you said (assuming you have the mail and text messaging icons in the dock).

Here's an image I found online that shows what I'm talking about:

LauncherPro-Missed-Call-Missed-Text-Missed-Email-Notifications.jpg

OP
B

Bahester

Reaction score
Ah, awesome. My only question about Launcher pro is - if I DL it now, will it totally erase the way I have everything setup on all my pages?

Montecarlo97z

Reaction score
handcent does this as well and has a lot more options then the factory text message app

nonamedude

Reaction score
handcent is pretty cool. I would recommend it. I just downloaded launcher pro and yes it will change your home screens. Totally changed all of mine. I spent like 30 min getting stuff back how I wanted and it was totally worth it. It is a lot better than the stock home.

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
Ah, awesome. My only question about Launcher pro is - if I DL it now, will it totally erase the way I have everything setup on all my pages?
Well, you can always go back to the stock launcher and your setup will be the same as you left it, but upon installing launcher pro and using it, yeah you'll have to change things around.

OP
B

Bahester

Reaction score
Cool, thanks. One last question - sorry, been a long day of trying to figure out my new Droid. My buddy said all he did was download the FB app from the store and he had an option to sync his pictures with contacts or whatever. I downloaded the FB app from the store as well instead of going under my accounts and adding my facebook account. However, I don't see that option in facebook when I go under the menu. Any ideas?

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
Hm, not sure about that one. All I remember doing was logging into facebook and the first screen after you log in asks you if you want to sync your facebook contacts. Maybe you hit next too fast and missed it? No idea man, sorry.

Only thing I can think of is going into your apps and clicking on the "Social Networking" one and find facebook on there and log in through that and see if it gives you the option to sync after logging in.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Or you can go into settings from the home screen, going to accounts and selecting facebook. If it doesn't already have one set up you will log in and then it will ask if you want to sync. I'm pretty sure that's the same thing the facebook app does.

OP
B

Bahester

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try that. I'm also having a problem where my Gmail isn't pushing emails. I go to a major college and they use gmail as their email, but I can't log in directly using gmail, have to go in and set up the imap and smtp addresses and such. However, if I use the built in Droid email with all those settings it pushes fine. Maybe just some kind of Gmail bug? I'll post if the FB problem gets resolved, thanks for the help.

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
What school do you go to? My university recently changed over to gmail also, but I havent tried setting it up on my phone.

OP
B

Bahester

Reaction score
I go to North Carolina State University. I'm still having 2 big issues if anyone has any advice. My gmail won't push my emails. If I hit refresh, they come up, but not push. The built in Droid email service works with the same email, so not sure why gmail isn't pushing. Also, I have no facebook option to "sync with contacts" to get the pictures. I've downloaded and uninstalled a few times, and I never get the option to sync at all. Has anyone else had this happen?

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Things work differently on the D2 in regards to Facebook sync.

The change they made to the D2 in the Facebook area mean that the Facebook app on the market is not necessary to sync Facebook contacts/pics to your Droid contacts, etc.

That's the good news...

The "bad news" depending on how you feel about it, is that you don't get the choice, which was available on the D1 w/the FB app from the Market, to sync no FB contacts, only those on your phone already, or all of them on FB.

Set up your Facebook account on the phone by going to Settings>Accounts and selecting the Facebook icon...if you have two icons, I believe the smaller one is from the Facebook app from the market, and the larger one is the built-in FB client. Once you log into the built-in FB client on the D2, all of your FB contacts will be sync'd to your contacts on the D2, and will also be set as the picture source for contacts.

You can actually uninstall the FB app from the market, you don't need it at all if you don't want to use some particular feature of it.