Text Lag is Back

LunaImages

Reaction score
Text Lag: An Update

Well, in my other thread I described how it was taking a long time for my DX to load text messages. I performed a factory reset once, and it fixed the problem. Unfortunately, the problem is back, and I'm at a loss. I shouldn't have to expect to perform a factory reset on my phone to keep it running right. I'm going to call Verizon in the morning to discuss, and I'll report back.

---

***UPDATE*** I posted the following on the next page, but also put it here so it doesn't get lost. Sorry it took me so long to update; I had a ton of stuff going on at work this week, including having to deal with being yelled at by someone at Good Morning America for reasons beyond my control. Needless to say, it's been a hard week. So, my apologies in advance.

---

Ok Everyone, here's my story:

I've been on and off the phone with Verizon customer support for over a week. Fortunately, the woman I dealt with took up a personal interest in my problem, and kept in touch with me by e-mail. She initially told me to perform a factory reset. That was when we both thought the problem was fixed. Days later, the problem recurred. I wrote to her again and got a phone call back within minutes.

She told me it sounded like a unique problem, because there hadn't been any notes logged that she could find in their system with information pertaining to our problems. In order to try to get to the bottom of it, she suggested I call Motorola to see if they had any information for me.

I called Motorola and asked them if they'd heard of the problem. After running a database search, they said they hadn't heard it. I then told them about all of you on this forum having the same trouble.

The woman I spoke with told me to tell all of you to call Motorola and Verizon to explain your problem and get a case number for your issue. This way, Motorola will start being able to log the issues and have their engineers try to develop a way around the problem.

I asked if this was a problem that might be caused by Motoblur syncing with Facebook/Twitter, and was told that it shouldn't affect the phone's performance either way, because it was designed with the 5,000 Facebook contact limit-per-profile in mind. I tend to believe this, because I have several friends that have the same phone; they have large numbers of contacts and don't have my problem. Even my fiancé's DX performs fast and snappy, and she has 1,000 contacts in her phone now.

If it were a problem with syncing contacts with Facebook, I'm left wondering why it would take several days for the bug to rear it's head. Wouldn't it be sluggish from the get-go? I'm also convinced it's a software glitch, since everything else continues to blaze away on the phone.

Either way, the only solution offered to me by Motorola right now is to return the phone on an exchange. Fortunately, the service rep I've been on and off the phone with at Verizon set me up, and the replacement Droid X should be here in the next couple of weeks. I am hoping this will resolve the problem, and I will report back when I receive the phone and see if the bug is gone.

So case in point to all of you having issues: CALL MOTOROLA AT 1-800-734-5870. Tell them about your problem, get a case number, and see if you can exchange your phone. If you do it within the first 30 days after your initial purchase, there won't be any penalty. If enough people call and report the issue we're having, Motorola will hopefully more than likely end up addressing the problem. I hope this info helps you, and good luck!

Alyssa13

Reaction score
Please tell me what they say! I just activated mine a few days ago, and I am already experiencing serious delays when I try to access my text messages. It normally takes me about 15-20 seconds to go from my inbox to the actual thread. It doesn't sound like a long time, but it is extremely annoying.

K

kkwan77

I've noticed this problem but appeared to be a delay or lag with the touchscreen to where it would take a few secs to recognize a key press or swype.

Solution: Called VZW and received a certified-like new replacement device and the problem has not returned. (also fixed the buzzing earpiece problem)

OP
LunaImages

LunaImages

Reaction score
I'll let you guys know. Alyssa, our problems are identical. It seems to me it wouldn't be a hardware problem because it is literally the only thing that is running slow. The screen is responsive, all other apps work fine. It's only when I try to pull up a text thread; it doesn't matter if there is 1,000 or 1 message in the thread, it takes about 10-15 seconds to open. Verizon is closed today, so tomorrow I'm going to call and ask if there's any kind of software glitches they've made note of. If they can't seem to fix the problem, I'll just send it back.

djbis

Reaction score
I'll let you guys know. Alyssa, our problems are identical. It seems to me it wouldn't be a hardware problem because it is literally the only thing that is running slow. The screen is responsive, all other apps work fine. It's only when I try to pull up a text thread; it doesn't matter if there is 1,000 or 1 message in the thread, it takes about 10-15 seconds to open. Verizon is closed today, so tomorrow I'm going to call and ask if there's any kind of software glitches they've made note of. If they can't seem to fix the problem, I'll just send it back.

I am seeing a tremendous amount of problems when it comes to texting on the Droid X.

Selecting the Default Motorola TXT app brings up a black screen that takes anywhere from 5 to 30 seconds sometimes more to load the TXT history. Once it loads the history it seems to try to cache the images of each contact and also it tries to convert the phone numbers to contact names. This simple process locks up the phone and the TXT app. It takes a few minutes to complete, rendering the TXT app useless. Since all the other TXT apps rely on the default moto app then all the other apps are suffering similar problems (handsent for example). Once all the photos are in place and the numbers have been converted to names the cache seems to remain until the phone is restarted, sometimes the cache disappears for no reason as well and the whole process must begin once again.

I have a suspicion that the problem relates to the phone not being able to handle a large amount of contacts (about 1300, many which are synched from Facebook). With a fast processor I would have thought this would not be a problem!?

I am now trying to remove accounts to minimize the syncing needed to keep all the contacts up to date and interestingly enough when I tried to remove the Facebook account the phone would freeze and an error message would come up saying that the operation "timed out".

I tried over and over and the phone rebooted by itself a few of the times I tried (the phone has been rebooting constantly for no reason, by the way). Finally the accounts are no longer showing on the Android ACCOUNTS section, but one thing persists: the Facebook contacts that were synced to the phone are still in the contacts list! They have not been removed.

How can I remove this contacts?

Thank you.

OP
LunaImages

LunaImages

Reaction score
I have more information for you guys. I haven't forgotten about you, but I had to stay at work till 4:30am this morning, and im back at work again right now. I'll try and write tonight or tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Nightmares

Reaction score
I had to factory reset twice because of this. I downloaded less apps the 3rd time and it seems to be flowing smoother so far after about a week. But I cannot download Handcent which i miss terribly.

Atodal

Reaction score
Well, in my other thread I described how it was taking a long tine for my DX to load text messages. I performed a factory reset once, and it fixed the problem. Unfortunately, the problem is back, and I'm at a loss. I shouldn't have to expect to perform a factory reset on my phone to keep it running right. I'm going to call Verizon in the morning to discuss, and I'll report back.

The problem comes from the social networking trying to add all the contacts. i had to remove my facebook from the networks and my text messages worked fine.

and just to add i have over 4000 FB friends so i knew thats what was doing it. i just use the actual FB application

djbis

Reaction score
The problem comes from the social networking trying to add all the contacts. i had to remove my facebook from the networks and my text messages worked fine.

and just to add i have over 4000 FB friends so i knew thats what was doing it. i just use the actual FB application

That's what i suspected as well. The problem is that i cannot remove the facebook contacts. I disabled facebook acount But it is not removing the Facebook contacts from my contact list.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Nightmares

Reaction score
That could be it. I have about 2,000 twitter friends. But havent bothered adding them again since resetting my phone. No problems yet.

pdubbs28

Reaction score
I am having the same problem! There's an EXTREME lag when scrolling through text msgs. It's an impractical lag. I usually end up pressing the home button cause it's taking too long and even that takes a while. Any suggestions besides returning the headset. This doesn't feel like a hardware issue.

zehduck

Reaction score
I had the same issue with my DX...it is apparent to me that it is the fault of the social networking tool adding all facebook contacts to your contact list...i tried to just delete my facebook account, but that "red eyed" my phone. Once i did he recovery i didn't add a facebook account and just used the facebook app. Sms is super fast now. The facebook app will sync with your current contacts but will not add pictures. I used facebook sync to add pictures to my contacts. I hope froyo corrects this problem. How do we let motorola know?

MsAligned

Reaction score
I had the same issue with my DX...it is apparent to me that it is the fault of the social networking tool adding all facebook contacts to your contact list...i tried to just delete my facebook account, but that "red eyed" my phone. Once i did he recovery i didn't add a facebook account and just used the facebook app. Sms is super fast now. The facebook app will sync with your current contacts but will not add pictures. I used facebook sync to add pictures to my contacts. I hope froyo corrects this problem. How do we let motorola know?

Hi! I'm new to the board -- problems with text messaging brought me here. Anyway, could you go into a bit more detail about what you did? I'm not sure I understand: you didn't add a Facebook account in Settings>Accounts, but you can still use the Facebook app?
And then what's the facebook sync you used for the pictures?
Thanks for the help! Hopefully this will help me out too. (And then if Handcent could just get it's act together, I'd be set!)

zehduck

Reaction score

Hi! I'm new to the board -- problems with text messaging brought me here. Anyway, could you go into a bit more detail about what you did? I'm not sure I understand: you didn't add a Facebook account in Settings>Accounts, but you can still use the Facebook app?
And then what's the facebook sync you used for the pictures?
Thanks for the help! Hopefully this will help me out too. (And then if Handcent could just get it's act together, I'd be set!)

The worst part of this is I have not found a way to get the Facebook contacts out of the contact list without doing a factory reset. You are correct..I did not add facebook to the "settings>accounts". The only accounts I personally added to my DX was my google account and an old AOL email account. You can then download the facebook app from the market and use it without adding the account to the phone settings. There is an option with the facebook app to sync facebook with your already existing contacts in your phone. This will work, but will not sync photos (It hasnt synced photos since the update from 2.0 to 2.1, which is why I am hoping Froyo 2.2 with resolve this). There is an app in the market called "Facebook Sync" that will sync photos to your existing contacts. The only downside is that the program will not change the photo when a contact changes a photo on facebook, you will have to rerun the program for that. I do not use handcent, so I will be of no help there. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask...

I would really like to be able to put my facebook account into the account settings, but I cannot live with a sms lag...so if anyone knows how to resolve this issue, please let me know...

Sentrix

Reaction score
I have the same issue - when I pull up the stock Text Messaging app, which I currently use, my inbox will be full of numbers which slowly turn into actual contact names, along with the contacts' pictures. I have to scroll down slowly all the way to the bottom - lag and everything - to get all the names and pictures to load. Once I do that, there seems to be no problem because everything's been loaded into memory/cache. However, leave the Texting App for too long and you'll have to go through the entire process again because it hasn't been loaded in a while, and it'll take a good 5 minutes to get bug-free and smooth from the inbox. Loading individual conversations for me doesn't take very long at all, however. Just a few seconds.