text im client

patt2k

Reaction score
hey guys i know how some phones always have that IM client that uses SMS , yes I do have droid but only 20 MB of internet I was looking through apps for IM client like that and i didnt quite work out. Is there any >?

khelek

Reaction score
hey guys i know how some phones always have that IM client that uses SMS , yes I do have droid but only 20 MB of internet I was looking through apps for IM client like that and i didnt quite work out. Is there any >?

I didn't know you could get a data plan with only 20MB allowance. That seems....odd.

OP
P

patt2k

Reaction score

I didn't know you could get a data plan with only 20MB allowance. That seems....odd.

I have my droid via page plus which is Verizon's resseler. For 44.95 I get unlimited talk n text with 20 mb of data. So would you know any program that uses text for im?

Taegost

Reaction score

I have my droid via page plus which is Verizon's resseler. For 44.95 I get unlimited talk n text with 20 mb of data. So would you know any program that uses text for im?

Wait, what? Is it on the VZ network?
I'm not sure if there are any, because most apps are written with the assumption that you'll have unlimited data. Each of the IM sites will let you set up a mobile phone though, which you can do your IM'ing through text messaging, you'll have to check it out on each individual site though.
Just so you know, the update from 2.1 to 2.2 that'll be pushed to your phone soon will be about 80M all by itself. If you have syncing turned on, you're definitely going to go over 20M in a month, you'll want to look into a higher plan... These phones and apps are all built around data usage.

OP
P

patt2k

Reaction score

Wait, what? Is it on the VZ network?
I'm not sure if there are any, because most apps are written with the assumption that you'll have unlimited data. Each of the IM sites will let you set up a mobile phone though, which you can do your IM'ing through text messaging, you'll have to check it out on each individual site though.
Just so you know, the update from 2.1 to 2.2 that'll be pushed to your phone soon will be about 80M all by itself. If you have syncing turned on, you're definitely going to go over 20M in a month, you'll want to look into a higher plan... These phones and apps are all built around data usage.

Do you know the date of the update? and I assume this can be also done via wi-fi ? the over the air update
and yes it runs on VZ network

Taegost

Reaction score
Unfortunately, no, I don't have the exact date, just sometime "soon".
That's an awesome deal, I wonder if I can switch my phone over to them, if it uses the VZ network I can still have my national roaming but with a MetroPCS price... :)

OP
P

patt2k

Reaction score
Unfortunately, no, I don't have the exact date, just sometime "soon".
That's an awesome deal, I wonder if I can switch my phone over to them, if it uses the VZ network I can still have my national roaming but with a MetroPCS price... :)

as long as you have clear esn you can i switched from t mobile to page plus

so if I have background data off and I would have wi-fi on I would be able to update without using DATA is that correct? and just update with wi fi

Code:
https://www.pagepluscellular.com

Code:
http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php/364-Page-Plus-Cellular

Taegost

Reaction score
Correct, I am pretty sure you can apply the update using WiFi. It will ask you prior to downloading it, so when you see the notification come up, you can wait until you're on a wifi network to download it.
Thanks for the info, I'm going to check it out on my lunch break :)

khelek

Reaction score

That is an interesting deal -- I could get something like that for my wife, who would be interested in some data, but not unlimited.

I'm afraid, however, I don't know of any apps that will do IM over SMS. As another poster mentioned, the apps are built with the assumption that you have a significant data plan. There's some talk of a T-Mobile IM app that, at one point did SMS for IM, but I don't think that's around anymore.

Sorry :-/

OP
P

patt2k

Reaction score

That is an interesting deal -- I could get something like that for my wife, who would be interested in some data, but not unlimited.

I'm afraid, however, I don't know of any apps that will do IM over SMS. As another poster mentioned, the apps are built with the assumption that you have a significant data plan. There's some talk of a T-Mobile IM app that, at one point did SMS for IM, but I don't think that's around anymore.

Sorry :-/

well thanks for the help guys

and yes those page plus deals are really good you either can have 1200 , 1200 minutes text with 50 MB of web for 29.95$ or unlimited talk n text 20 mb of data for 44.95 and you can use that gwdiget to turn off data.

Taegost

Reaction score
I'll have to give them a call, I don't see any other data deals on their web site, and I need an unlimited plan... I use between 2-5G per month