Text app slow?

WolfR1

Reaction score
At first I was thinking my phone was slowing down somehow but it appears to only be the text app. I text with the SO primarily so there's a lot of texts there but overall I don't text a ton. Over the last month or so my text app bogs down and I wait for the virtual keyboard to show up or respond to input. Or I'll get the text notification then wait for the app to show the text and when I do type in the text sometimes it takes 20 or so seconds to display that it's actually sending the text. This stuff is more aggravating than anything but I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this or has suggestions to make this quit happening. At present the only thing I know for sure is to reboot the phone.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I have never been a fan of the stock messaging app on any phone. Try a 3rd party texting app, they have more customization and color options and all that. I ditched my s4's stock messaging app for GoSMS at first then Textra and haven't looked back. I tried using my stock messaging app the other day and it froze up, but I do have alot of text messages as well...

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
That's Android Lag. It happens more in older devices. I haven't seen that issue on my G2. For the most part, my G2 keeps up. Maybe an app you recently installed is bogging it down? I saw this all the time on my Maxx HD. I'd type for 10 seconds, then it'd just catch up.

OP
W

WolfR1

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'll have to give Textra a try. As I said previously that is the only app that displays any lag whatsoever. No other app to date shows lag, even when launched or switched to immediately after the text lag/input lag.

turbodave

Reaction score
I tried Textra on my Razr Maxx HD, had to dump it. It absolutely refused to show incoming texts. Textra said that if I had other SMS or texting apps installed, like Hangouts, I have to turn it off. Yes, Hangouts is on there as part of the Google empire, but it was never turned on, and told them that, they never replied back.
:-(

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I tried Textra on my Razr Maxx HD, had to dump it. It absolutely refused to show incoming texts. Textra said that if I had other SMS or texting apps installed, like Hangouts, I have to turn it off. Yes, Hangouts is on there as part of the Google empire, but it was never turned on, and told them that, they never replied back.
:-(
By default it's turned on I believe. But it is odd that Textra wasn't receiving incoming texts. During the initial setup it should ask to make Textra the default messaging app and that's all you really gotta do, iirc.

sertio

Reaction score
Hello, try chomp sms, I tried many and for me chomp is the champ

turbodave

Reaction score
By default it's turned on I believe. But it is odd that Textra wasn't receiving incoming texts. During the initial setup it should ask to make Textra the default messaging app and that's all you really gotta do, iirc.

No, it didn't ask to be default, it just went forward with it's install. The only other text app I now have is the original stock text app that came with the phone, and there's something in it called "automatically retrieve MMS messages". I even turned that feature off, and still, TEXTRA won't display incoming texts. I'm confused. I've even REMOVED "Hangouts" (even though it was NEVER turned on, and no, it doesn't install turned on), still to no avail.

sertio

Reaction score
Yes, its very easy to make chomp the default, it asks you and say yes, then the stock messaging app wont bother you again

KeepItReal

Reaction score
Don't forget about Verizon Messaging app. It asked you to use your Android Tablet to text using your phone texting. They are synced, so all you send and receive appear on both devices. I installed on on my mom's Tablet, and her basic phone. She now texts from her tablet! Cool. And it had some nice emoticons! ! Lol

turbodave

Reaction score
Don't forget about Verizon Messaging app. It asked you to use your Android Tablet to text using your phone texting. They are synced, so all you send and receive appear on both devices. I installed on on my mom's Tablet, and her basic phone. She now texts from her tablet! Cool. And it had some nice emoticons! ! Lol

Agreed. The Verizon Messaging app is the only one I've found that peacefully coexisted with the stock app without having to adjust or delete anything.