Text App Lag-- Fixed With Factory Reset

LunaImages

Reaction score
So a few days ago, my text messaging app began to take a really long time to access text threads. The app itself would start instantaneously, but retrieving a message always took about 10-15 seconds, regardless of the number of messages inside.

I tried uninstalling various apps. I closed all the open apps I could. I tried soft-resetting the phone. Everything on the phone was running smoothly except opening texts.

I decided to perfom a factory reset from the boot menu just now, and lo-and-behold, it works fine again. Fortunately, I didn't have anything important on the phone yet, but I wanted to ask you guys-- has anyone else seen this type of problem?

I can't help but think it all started when I switched to Swype from the regular keyboard because the problem started happening right around the same time. I tried switching it back, but the problem remained.

I called Verizon and asked them, and the woman told me that a few other cases have been documented, and that factory resetting has always fixed the issue.

Does anyone know why it would all of a sudden start behaving this way? I'm hoping it was just a fluke, but to be safe, I'm not going to use Swype (I didn't really like it anyway.)

Nightmares

Reaction score
I had handcent, had to take it out. Factory reset. Worked fine for about 3 days. Now with the regular texting its still really super buggy, slow, and unresponsive. Tomorrow im taking it back to the store. Im seriously thinking of switching back to my regular droid and wait till the 4G phone comes out.

OP
LunaImages

LunaImages

Reaction score
I had handcent, had to take it out. Factory reset. Worked fine for about 3 days. Now with the regular texting its still really super buggy, slow, and unresponsive. Tomorrow im taking it back to the store. Im seriously thinking of switching back to my regular droid and wait till the 4G phone comes out.

How did you perform the factory reset? Did you do it through the boot menu or through the settings menu? I did it through the boot menu and it completely formatted the phone; the problem was solved. If you did it through the settings menu, try the boot method and see if that works.

Aside from the Nokia 8290 (for its elegant simplicity), this is by far the best phone I've ever owned.

Jones93

Reaction score
I had this same problem, took it in last Saturday, they tried telling me it was the antivirus app. We uninstalled that and nothing changed. I did a factory reset later that night, and it was back to normal.... A few days later back to dragging along. This is irritating.

daddycat31

Reaction score
Hey everyone...I was suffering from the laggy phone. Especially when I click on anything messaging, but it was with more than just that. I think I may have figured it out though. I did the factory reset and this time I did not add Facebook to my accounts because last time it added my facebook friends to my contacts (i have over 4800 people on there). Beside, I use the m.facebook.com anyway. Anyway, I finished setting everything else up after the reset and everything is running really smooth and opening up nice and quick (hope it stays that way). Hope this helps!!

daddycat31

Reaction score
Jones93, It has only been a day, but mine was acting laggy like that right away when i activated it...I will give a shout if it starts acting like that again...

Mpyff

Reaction score
I've been having this problem, too. It's really annoying, since I text often. Does a factory re-boot get rid of everything you've added to your phone? because I feel like I've customized it quite a bit, and would hate to start all over... I'm new to smartphones and don't really understand all the tech talk around here, even the talk that's not so technical... :) is there anything else to try to fix it?

TheJester34

Reaction score
The only time I've had this problem with an Android phone was when the text threads got really long. All I had to do was erase the thread and the texts from that person came up just fine. I think I understood this right. If not, I have no idea

OP
LunaImages

LunaImages

Reaction score
I've been having this problem, too. It's really annoying, since I text often. Does a factory re-boot get rid of everything you've added to your phone? because I feel like I've customized it quite a bit, and would hate to start all over... I'm new to smartphones and don't really understand all the tech talk around here, even the talk that's not so technical... :) is there anything else to try to fix it?

I'm not sure of any other way to fix the problem other than the way I described. To answer your question, yes, a factory reset will do just that-- reset the phone to the way it came out of the box. You will lose all your apps and custom layout. Although I believe you may redownload any purchased apps from the market. You will have to reactivate your phone (it's easier the second time around, and it walks you through.)

I didn't lose my photos, for whatever reason. Your contacts should be synced with gmail if you have it, so once you reactivate the phone, it will import all of your synced contacts.

Try pulling the battery with the phone powered on, and then reinserting the battery and turning it on. This performs a "soft reset" on the phone. See if that works, first. You will not lose any data with this method. If it's like my issue and the problem remains, you can perform the factory reset one of two ways. Here are the instructions provided to service support at Verizon:

---

Factory Reset Option 1
-From the main screen, touch menu tab
-Touch Settings
-Touch Privacy
-Touch Factory Data reset
-Touch Reset Phone
-Touch Erase Everything

Warning: This will erase all data from your phone, including:
Your Google account
System and applicatin data and settings
Downloaded Applications
It will not erase: Current System software and bundled applications; SD Card files, such as music or Photos

Factory Reset Option 2 - Warning this will reset device back to original factory settings.
-Turn off the phone
-Press Power + Home at the same time
-Display will show a triage android screen
-Press the search hardkey - this will unhide the menu and show the following options:

Reboot system Now
Apply sdcard:update.zip
Wipe Data/Factory Reset
Wipe Cache Partition

-Use VOL Down key to scroll down to "Wipe Data/Factory Reset", press camera key to select option and wipe device.

---

I chose to use the second option. It fixed the problem, and I wasn't so overzealous this time around with adding stuff I didn't need on my phone. I loaded LauncherPro and Dolphin HD immediately, and that was about it. Ever since, I've had no issues surface.

It's all your choice as to what you want to do. If anybody else has any solutions to offer up, please do. It seems, though, that the factory reset is working for most people. I'm just going to chalk it up to a bug that will hopefully be addressed when 2.2 comes out.