Text App (from a verizon rep)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Google voice, but as the previous poster said you can't send MMS. For that you do need Verizon's text plan. I have the 5.00 450 text plan just for that purpose.

AzJazz

Reaction score
Texting is absolutely not part of my unlimited data plan (or anybody else's, I'd be willing to bet).

I've had VZW Unlimited Data for years now. Before I purchased the $5/250 text message plan a few months ago, I was being charged $0.20 per text message (and, $0.25 per message within the last year). I always had a few bucks being tacked onto my bill every month before I bought the $5 plan.

Regarding "free texting": Yes, it is definitely possible. If you register for a Google Voice number, you can send free text messages through GV, and you can also make free (no minutes used) domestic calls through GV. GV becomes a VoIP service that you can make voice calls through the data network. If you register for GV, be prepared to wait a month or so for your "GV Invite". There's quite a lot of demand for GV numbers right now.

That said, making free GV calls/texting also violates VZW's Terms of Use.

FYI,

AzJazz

littlkj5

Reaction score
This is a screenshot of my plan. I highlighted things in red.

Text is not data or you wouldn't pay separately for data and texting.

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 212
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 171

thinkmega

Reaction score
As far as I kno text is included with data

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

It really depends on how you look at it. From bandwidth stand point, text and voice share the same bandwidth. Text refers to vz's text plan, not the get-around text message like google voice.

I cancel the text plan after knowing google voice basically can do almost the same. Therefore, the rep is right, you dont need it unless .... you want to cast your vote on the American Idol. In that GV can't be used.

J.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Text isn't data at all. You can install apps that allow you to text other people that have the app. Pretty much like the blackberry messenger but on the Droid.
text is part of my data pan, just checked it on line

I'ld like to see a screen shot of that...Texting has never been part of data on VZW

We have unlimited texting on our plan - however, we are still on the grandfathered AllTel plan...all of the phones on the plan but 1 are a smartphone - therefore, I pay one charge for the my line and then the other 4 phones are add-on lines...I want to say is $30 for the smart-phones and $20 for the other phone but I could be wrong on those prices.

Toast

Reaction score
All contract discussion aside, I use Google Talk on a daily bases. My family talks frequently and buying unlimited txt when u can have it for free through talk is pointless. I have saved lot's of money doing it this way. I also make sure to tell anyone who's getting a smart phone to get an android phone so they can take advantage of it as well.
dancedroid:icon_ banana:

Wasson101

Reaction score
GV becomes a VoIP service that you can make voice calls through the data network.
Since when? Last time I checked Google Voice routes your calls through a gateway access number using the phone network (and hence, your phone plan minutes {Potentially unlimited if you add your gateway number to your My Circle/Friends and family or whatever its called}) not data. If there is a VoIP solution involving Google Voice I'd be really interested to know more about it

its.mike

Reaction score
GV becomes a VoIP service that you can make voice calls through the data network.
Since when? Last time I checked Google Voice routes your calls through a gateway access number using the phone network (and hence, your phone plan minutes {Potentially unlimited if you add your gateway number to your My Circle/Friends and family or whatever its called}) not data. If there is a VoIP solution involving Google Voice I'd be really interested to know more about it
You can use sipdroid to do VoIP.

amgine27

Reaction score
text is in no way part of any data plan, its an add-on, you were probably seeing the overall plan