Texas Instruments Next-Gen Dual-Core Chip Coming 2011

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OMAP4430_zoom.jpg

One of those uber-chips that we talked about in our dual-core article yesterday has been officially announced by Texas Instruments. Their 1.5GHz OMAP4440 CPU should be available in the second half of next year. The specs are impressive to say the least. It boasts an improvement in graphics performance, processes video twice as fast, and decreases web-page load times by as much as 30%. Supposedly the chip can handle 1080p stereoscopic 3D glasses. Wow! Let's watch Avatar in 3D on our flight. It also sports an "Integrated POWERVR™ SGX540 graphics accelerator drives 3D gaming and 3D user interfaces."

You can see more official specs on Texas Instruments website here.

TI_logo.jpg

Source: Phandroid.com
by dgstorm

Edward650

Reaction score
Hope someone also improves battery life, no point in 1080p video if I can only watch like half of it

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

brando56894

Reaction score
This thing is going to be a beast, knowing that its going to be out in H2 makes me almost want to wait out my contract, which is done in november.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hmmm.....going by the OP, it has the same gpu that the Hummingbird has now....which is no slouch, dont get me wrong...

But..

Meanwhile, Samsung will have moved on from the PowerVR to the Mali in their dual core chip....which is supposed to be better than the PowerVR 540...

elitecmdr666

Reaction score
im lost i thought the new nvidia chips were going into the droid x what is going on lol now im really lost, so which chip would be better for the new droid x? also i did not know texas instrument made chips...