1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Tethering with World of Warcraft.

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by Darthberg, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Darthberg

Darthberg New Member

Quick question if anyone is familiar. I tethered my phone with PDAnet to my laptop and was able to play WoW just fine. I currently have the unlimited data plan, will this affect my bill or make it appear suspicious? From everywhere I looked it seems to be fine. What are your thoughts? Thanks

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  2. liferefugee

liferefugee New Member

If they looked at the data usage for that timeframe it may look suspect but that should be it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  3. stealthgriffin

stealthgriffin New Member

My 12 yr old sister tethered her droid (don't ask) and was playing an online game. Used 9Gb of data and Verizon didn't bat an eyelash

Sent from my rooted Galaxy Tab
  4. aDroidman

aDroidman Member

If you have the unlimited plan they cant do anything to you. They cant prove that you tethered your phone unless you take it into the store and even then its hard for them to prove it. But wow is going to draw huge data so I would still be careful.
  5. mewshi

mewshi New Member

Actually, if they keep any record of what's going where, it'd be painfully easy for them to know that you're tethering...
  6. aDroidman

aDroidman Member

How many customers does Verizon Wireless Network have?

even if they did keep a record it would be so long and theres so many ppl who are tethering there droids because they pay for it. It would take alot of time and they probably wont do anything. If they did how are you breaching the contract?
  7. Darthberg

Darthberg New Member

Lots of good insight guys, I appreciate it greatly. It still surprises me that a game of this magnitude can be played smoothly with a tethered internet connection.

8. liferefugee

liferefugee New Member

3g is about the speed of dsl or at least what dsl was 5 years ago.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  9. aliasxerog

aliasxerog Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Just a warning to you: Playing WoW when you're teathered is pretty painful. WoW doesn't handle frames too well when your network connection sucks.
  10. Tjgrendel

Tjgrendel New Member

I bet i'm on verizon's hit list!

Obviously I can't torrent while i'm in college so what do I do?
    Wireless Tether all the way!

Some days 5Gb straight!
    Other days 8Gb straight!

I don't even want to look at my data usage!

However, after about 4Gb the signal starts to go in and out, but after the 7gb mark it seems to stabilize. Weird.

Anyway going to keep doing it unless Verizon can convince my school that torrents are good. dancedroid
  11. Darthberg

Darthberg New Member

Well I do everything from my phone, Pandora Radio, email, facebook, twitter, teather, World of Warcraft, streaming pod casts, pretty much absolutely everything that can consume data I use daily. And Verizon has never said a word. Let's hope the trend continues.

12. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Nobody has ever been singled out and charged a ton for data from tethering their android phone yet. Notice the last word "yet". If it happens to you, your name and situation for getting busted would be on all the android blogs because you'd be the first from VZW.
  13. stealthgriffin

stealthgriffin New Member

There are 2 clauses in the Customer Agreement that could apply:

They can cancel service if you

(e) steal from or lie to us;

or (the harder one to prove)

(e) use your Service in a way that negatively affects our network or other customers

Unless you have an OG Droid, in which case they don't have a legitimate method of tethering, using your phone for tethering/hotspot without the approved package through Verizon could be considered stealing.
  14. Ehanda

Ehanda New Member

WoW really does not use that much net usage. I play wow all the time at work and by the hour, i only use about 200MB on my droid x. Now, if you are constantly loading the game from the background downloader, it will use ALOT of data, but if everything is already downloaded, its fine. Ive been tethering for months now, and i have never got a notice or anything. So as long as you delete pdanet from your phone before getting serviced, ur fine. If you bring your phone to get worked on and they see it, ive been told by a rep that they automatically charge you for the tethering and slap it on ur account. Good Luck and Happy Killing!
  15. christim

christim Super Moderator

16. Darthberg

Darthberg New Member

It never even crossed my mind that the phone may need to be serviced. Great advice on removing the app before hand, you may have potentially saved me from another damn VZW super bill. Although I was playing WOW not too long ago tethered and it really did not consume that much data. It suprised me. All in all, its not something I will do "ALL" of the time, just when I need a connection and do not have one. The DROID X is a data monster to begin with, hence the reason VZW made me purchase the unlimited plan in the first place, right?
  17. Tjgrendel

Tjgrendel New Member

1 month ago I took my phone to Verizon about my sd card. It was rooted. I had wireless tether on the home screen. The Verizon rep then proceded to ask me if that was the rooted wireless tether. Guess what he said... cool look at mine. He showed me a custom rom on his droid x and that was it. If they did go after me for my data usage I would deffinatly sue. The term "ulimated" on my bill to me means 100% unlimited. There are no "**" or small print. I would sue them for false advertising and damages. So until they put "**" im going to keep using my phone the way I want to use it. Lol

18. Darthberg

Darthberg New Member

So I guess it just varies on each person. I have asked several local VZW reps here who own the Droid X and I get similar stories as yours. Almost all of them have their phone rooted and both managers were playing WOW tethered on a laptop. So right or wrong its happening.

19. Guitar4Him

Guitar4Him New Member

I have a rooted Droid X. Occasionally, I use Wireless Tether. My useage for the last two months has exceeded 12 GB. Is this a result of Wireless Tether? Nope...I have the Slingplayer app on my phone and use it every day. It will rack up some bandwith useage over a month's time. If they contact me about the useage, I'll point them to the Slingplayer app and then, remind them that I have unlimited data useage on my plan and there are no restrictions in the plan description that preclude using the Slingplayer app.

Ken
  20. vatothe0

vatothe0 New Member

The rate for roaming isn't printed on your bill either. Are you going to sue for false advertising if you get charged for roaming? There isn't a coverage map either.

Just because 100% of the service terms aren't printed on your bill, doesn't man they don't apply.

Search tags for this page
best tethering app for playing wow on
can i play world of warcraft using the wifi hotspot on my ip
can i play wow with easytether
can you play world of warcraft from a tethered phone
how good can you play world of warcraft tethering
how much data does wow use if i tether
how much data to tether world of warcraft?
how much internet do i use playing wow with my phone hotspot
playing warcraft with tether

tether world of warcraft data

tethering cell phone and world of warcraft doesnt work
tethering from droid to laptop for wow
will easy tether run wow
world of warcraft android tethering
wow works with a non tethering data plan