Tethering up and running on droid

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by thericksonebay, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Xerozix

Xerozix Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It is free, it just doesn't allow HTTPS, which means you can't log into facebook.

2. Livewire

Livewire New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    its a hp notebook, with windows xp

3. Livewire

Livewire New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    figured it out....NICE!!!!!!!!

4. teddyearp

teddyearp Senior Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Current Phone Model:
    Motorola XT1103 (Nexus 6)
    Well, I can confirm that I could connect with my 'trial' version of PDANet, although as mentioned I probably could not use it to check my gmail, facebook, etc., as those all require https connections (not tested tonite) and my 'trial has long run out on my XP laptop. I was able to update my AVG free just now tonite. My next DUN/tethering adventure will be to use Proxoid, many thanks to those who posted it here. Oh and BTW, I really don't give a crap about WiFi tethering, nor BT tethering, as I would prefer my phone to be charging while I use it for this. As you know, those other methods of tethering are covered elsewhere. For me, I only use it when I'm on the road when it's just me, my Jeep and my XP Laptop.

And as far as your bandwidth, well I've been doing this stuff for years and years WAY before I had a smartphone, and maybe even longer than the rest of you have. Back then they called it the 'backdoor'. Like when I used to do this with my LG phones, and was on the old America's Choice II plan which only used minutes. Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that if you use some sort of tethering on your Droid and do not pay for BB access, well use common sense. Don't go and download huge files, use tethering for playing online games (some of you have, but you're pushing it), limewire, frostwire, torrents, etc. I guess I'm just trying to say, don't push your luck, otherwise it might ruin it for everyone and VZW will try to find a way to close this 'backdoor' as well, just like an article I read about AT&T trying to find a way to charge more for data for the iPhone. Not to mention you getting your data shut down and/or a HUGE data bill.

Thx and good luck

5. jeff.essy

jeff.essy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can verizon tell your using tethering?cause I don't want to be shut off

6. jasonb

jasonb Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i just tried the pdanet tethering on my droid with my bran new laptop just for the hell of it and it was amazingly easy to setup and works very well. i don't have the best cell phone service at my house but it's still ok for just browsing a forum. i wont be using this a lot but it may really come in handy someday.

(just wrote this post while tethered)

7. UltmateToughbook.com

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a quick question that doesn't seem to be adressesd except, perhaps fleetingly.... BT DUN... I can connect my Droid to my CF-30 Toughbook running XP Pro via USB... It works fantastc. (I bought the full version) But the BT DUN connection always gives me errors. I have tried to go through Network Connections and select "Modem" but it shows COM4 9regular Modem and COM7 (PDANet USB modem) and NOT the COM40 DUN modem that it wants to connect through.

Does anyone have a work-around?

8. Dougw133

Dougw133 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You can download and try the BlueSoleil bluetooth stack. If the PAn or DUN works, you can buy it after thirty days. It's an essential software for using bluetooth devices. You can even recieve and make calls from your PC while the droid is connected via bluetooth.

9. UltmateToughbook.com

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! I'll have to give that a try!

I'll post back as I see very little about BT DUN with regard to PDANet....

10. millians

millians New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can't send email

The tethering works ok with everything except sending emails. I am using outlook on my hp laptop connecting to comcast. HELP!

11. teddyearp

teddyearp Senior Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Current Phone Model:
    Motorola XT1103 (Nexus 6)
    Diggin' up bones, I'm diggin' up bones, just like a thread that's six months old . . . .

First, go to menu -> settings -> about phone and tell us what it says there. Then give us the further details as to what app you are trying to use to tether.

12. 1thepapa

1thepapa New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Holy Moly! Talk about simple and easy. I've been a member of droidforums for 30 minutes and I've already benefited. Thank you all!
    :clap::i-m_so_happy:

Search tags for this page
dunservice
installer fail to open device

installer fail to open device pdanet

lg dun service

lg dun service android

lg dunservice android

lg dunservice app

pdanet installer fail to open device

pdanet installer failed to open device
what is lg dun service