Tethering up and running on droid

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by thericksonebay, Nov 6, 2009.

1. thericksonebay

thericksonebay New Member

I got me a droid this morning for 188 at walmart and absolutley love it i have tethering via usb or bluetooth fully operational with the newest android pdanet software and motorolas newest droid drivers
  2. JhankG

JhankG New Member

With no charges from Verizon? Link please!
  3. thericksonebay

yes with no additional charges you can google pdanet for android and also go to motorola dot com and support for the drivers. ( although pdanet is free for the first 30 days then after that it cost 29.95) but by then there will be somone else who has a free one
  4. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Guest

How-To, Walk-Through with pics would be awesome!
  5. thericksonebay

ok im sorry i have never posted before when i go to google i type in ( pdanet android ) click the june fabric dot com link it gives you 2 to choose from 32bit and 64bit pick wich operating system your running. then download that while that takes place browse to motorola dot com click consumer good then click support find your phone on the right click software and drivers and download the usb drivers then run pdanet dot exe you download when it ask you to plug in your device install the usb drivers then plug in your device. after that go to your device you will see pdanet in your app start in and turn it on the click ok on your computer and your done
  6. Stigy

Stigy New Member

WARNING!!

Please be careful tethering with PDANet.

I know people who have gotten caught by Verizon for unauthorized tethering (tethering without a plan) and were charged for all data used.
  7. thericksonebay

thanks for the warning but i have used this program every since my first windows mobile phone and have never had problems. your laptop just uses the data from the phone and not through verizons high priced tethering option that isnt even available until sometime next year hopefully soon somone will do a wifi tethering
  8. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

wow great job by you... set it up in 2 minutes, and it works like a charm (albeit a little slow)...

how can VZN tell whether you are tethering or using data directly on the cellphone?
  9. Baconstrip

Baconstrip New Member

If you have an unusual amount of data going through (like if you're torrenting) that could probably raise some red flags :) Other than the amount of data used, there's no way they can tell..
  10. wuyanks

gotcha... but if you have an unlimited plan, VZN should keep their trap shut. there are apps on android that can consume quite a lot of bandwidth, from what i've seen...

now if you're downloading 50 gigs a week, then MAYBE a red flag should come up :lol:
  11. Stigy

Stigy New Member

The "Unlimited" plan is not unlimited - it has a cap of 5GB, but there is no way any Android application will get you up to 5GB in one month...
  12. wuyanks

thanks for the info, the VZN rep neglected to tell me that when i asked him that very question.
  13. EntropikOne

EntropikOne New Member

verizon reps tend to know a lot less than the internets =P
  14. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Yes it is only a 5GB cap for tethering and broadband access only though, please don't think you have a 5GB limit on just surfing the web or listening to music on the phone.
  15. intrepidpursuit

intrepidpursuit New Member

The Verizon "unlimited" data plan they make you fork out $30 IS limited to 5gb per month. If you pay for the tethering app then they give you 5gb for tethering and 5gb for phone access. So if you used tethering as your primary mode of internet access you better watch how much you use or they will start charging you overages, whether you pay the V tax or not.

I know some Verizon reps personally. They know all the rules and loopholes and are great at helping me get around them, but they work on commission and would never tell their customers about fees that might loose them the sale.
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  16. tomwrightjm

tomwrightjm New Member

Can anyone else post confirmation that the got PDANet to work on their Droid to tether and connect other devices to the internet via the Droid.

I had a Droid I reserved in my hand today but just couldn't pull the trigger if I was giving up tethering, it was too much of a risk for me (backup internet connection).

Before I deactivate my currently working device for a Droid I need to be dead certain that people are getting unofficial tethering working!

Great news none the less though!
  17. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Then dont get the tethering part of it, if both are limited then.
  18. thericksonebay

the tethering is unlimited for phone usage, if you use the vz acess software you have to pay 15 extra for 5gb for tethering, as long as you use pdanet or another program like that where it will looks like its your phone using the data then your fine. This has been working with me for years i used on it a windows mobile now i just use the net to surf and emails i dont do heavy gaming or downloading although i do play my ps3 somtimes online with the tethering
  19. gmpm5754

gmpm5754 New Member

I have the pdanet working with usb but can't get the bluetooth to work. Can you explain how you did?
    Thanks
    RT
  20. sudo

sudo New Member

Just to clear things up:

Data usage is unlimited for use with the phone only.
    Data usage via tethering, when it comes out (rumored second quarter of next year), will be capped at 5gigs for an extra $30/mo. Note, this is for tethering only as if you have this option, you'll still have unlimited usage for your phone.

Mind you, this only applies to the legit way offered through Verizon. Getting the PDAnet application or root-ing the older versions of Android are entirely different.

I purchased a mobile broadband card and plan through them over two years and am grandfathered in to their unlimited data usage plan before they, along with every other provider, started capping it. I'm hoping I'll be able to somehow capitalize on this when tethering becomes legit through Verizon by having that be my modem under the truly unlimited plan.
Search tags for this page
dunservice
how do i link droid apps to eve online
installer fail to open device

installer fail to open device pdanet

installer failed to open device pdanet

lg dun service

lg dun service android

lg dunservice android

lg dunservice app

lgdunservice application
pda net failed to open device