Tethering trouble

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I guess my fear with changing the above settings is that if there was any doubt you were tethering before, its now confirmed, and they have a phone number to see its not added to your account.

Ghalt

Reaction score
Because thats how they know you are tethered and charge you for using it. Tethering cost extra. PdaNet works as well but you have to buy it when the trial runs out.

If you're already on an unlimited plan, they don't charge you more, do they?

rosariorose9

Reaction score
Because thats how they know you are tethered and charge you for using it. Tethering cost extra. PdaNet works as well but you have to buy it when the trial runs out.

If you're already on an unlimited plan, they don't charge you more, do they?

They certainly do! When I had my BB Storm I read some pretty scary posts at Crackberry from users who had tethered their BB's using aftermarket (not Verizon) 'solutions'. Verizon detected their 'non-authorized' tethering and billed them for the useage...in the thousands of dollars!! :icon_eek:

ltkjr

Reaction score
I installed Easy tether on my phone and computer and I can't get it to connect. I tried all 3 options charge, mass storage and tether. None will work.
I installed pda.net on my phone and computer. I can't get that on to connect either. I think I need the right drivers.

Some tips: On the DI be sure to check "Unknown sources" under "Application"s I downloaded the free PdaNet from "Market apps" then bought the full version and it works great!!. Free verison should also work. I find PdaNet to be faster than most hotel wireless networks.

If all fails try this:

Before PdaNet install on your computer disable "Let Windows chose download software drivers":

I have Windows 7. Another Windows version may have different wording.

1, Click "Start"
2, Right click on "Computer"
3. Select "Properties"
4. From Home Panel page select "Advance Systems Setting"
5. From System Properties page select "Hardware"
6. Select " Device installation Setting"
7. Select "No let me chose"
8. Select "Never install driver software from Windows Update"
9. Select "Apply"

Now try installing PdaNet. After PdaNet is installed and working on your computer and DI reverse the above to "allow Windows to automatically install driver software".

Follow the PdaNet install instructions and use the DI USB cable when instructed to connect the DI to the computer.

Hope this is helpfull and good luck!! IMHO it is worth the effort to get the PdaNet application installed.

rosariorose9

Reaction score
ltkjr,

Are you concerned that Verizon may detect your 'unauthorized' tethering? Honestly, some of the posts at Crackberry were downright scary! One poor soul had a $3000+ bill from Verizon...

big58ben

Reaction score
Quick question on the cost. How much data was used? I've only heard of it being a problem when the 5 Gig limit is exceeded.

rosariorose9

Reaction score
^^^

Can't recall the data useage - it's been a while since I read those posts, and I'm no longer frequenting Crackberry since I abandoned :icon_ banana: my Storm. The 5 GB ceiling you mentioned applies, however, to authorized Verizon tethering. With unauthorized tethering, ANY useage is potentially chargeable, even if it's below 5 GB. Some members on the Crackberry forum noted that they were very careful to keep their data useage to a minimum and had not been charged for their unauthorized tethering...but the whole thing made me VERY nervous. All I need right now is to get a large bill from Verizon for data useage :icon_eek: .

Reaction score
Well then. Its as if I wasn't paranoid enough. I'm not too worried because I never really use pdanet, but I do use Andtorrent which I DL ALOT of stuff with...ugh.

OP
P

Phonegeek

Reaction score
Some tips: On the DI be sure to check "Unknown sources" under "Application"s I downloaded the free PdaNet from "Market apps" then bought the full version and it works great!!. Free verison should also work. I find PdaNet to be faster than most hotel wireless networks.

If all fails try this:

Before PdaNet install on your computer disable "Let Windows chose download software drivers":

I have Windows 7. Another Windows version may have different wording.

1, Click "Start"
2, Right click on "Computer"
3. Select "Properties"
4. From Home Panel page select "Advance Systems Setting"
5. From System Properties page select "Hardware"
6. Select " Device installation Setting"
7. Select "No let me chose"
8. Select "Never install driver software from Windows Update"
9. Select "Apply"

Now try installing PdaNet. After PdaNet is installed and working on your computer and DI reverse the above to "allow Windows to automatically install driver software".

Follow the PdaNet install instructions and use the DI USB cable when instructed to connect the DI to the computer.

Hope this is helpfull and good luck!! IMHO it is worth the effort to get the PdaNet application installed.[/QUOTE]

I tried this and I still can't get on the internet. I can connect but it says it cannot detect internet connection on the phone. Thanks for the posts.

canadian63

Reaction score
I have the same problem with tethering. I always tethered my BB when i went to Indiana and I had a Windows computer. Well, I have the Incredible thru Verizon and I now have an Apple computer. Behold I called Verizon and they said the Incredible can NOT be tethered to a mac. I am extremely unhappy about this needless to say.
If anyone knows of a way to tether my Incredible to an Mac computer please let me know.
To Phonegeek I feel your pain.....

Suzanne

Woehoss

Reaction score
I know tethering on Android is currently not supported by Verizon, and I've heard if they find out you're doing it they can cancel your account and charge you the early termination fee, or charge you per megabyte by how much data was used. I wouldn't mess around with it if I were you. But I'm a pretty paranoid person.