tethering question

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by codyodyody, Jun 2, 2010.

1. codyodyody

codyodyody Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just moved to a new apartment and I do not have the internet right now and i need it for work. I am rooted so i know about the tethering feature. I have heard verizon will know if you're tethering. Is this true? if it is how much tethering is too much tethering? Thanks in advance

2. hazynighthawk

hazynighthawk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    u would use a bunch more data tehtering im suree butt it dosent matter how much u use u have unlimited soo technically they cant fine you

3. five5

five5 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    it would take much more than just looking at how much data you have used to figure out if you are tethering. Not like you can't download movies, torrents, ect onto your phone and thats what uses the most data.

I have downloaded/streamed movies, shows, you name it with it.

MAKE SURE you have unlimited data plan though, otherwise your bill will be $$$$

4. LtKen

LtKen Silver Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Long story short, you can be caught and charged for every MB that you download tethered. Is it likely to happen, not at all.

Simple rules for tethering include using it only when you absolutely must, and only for applications that you could also use on your phone. This means no Flash-enabled websites.

Keep your data use down to guarantee you keep yourself off the radar.

5. mackiv

mackiv Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What radar..? Dude..just tether, I play modern warefare allll the time on my fones connection. To a certain extent, hawk is right, your not GOING to ge caught because unlimited means unlimited. They would much sooner make it free than attempt to fine u for using your unlimited internet on your "open source" fone. It'd hurt sales for verizon if people find out that even tho "droid does" verizon won't let it. Steve jobs can't even stop tethering on the iphone and he's a total dikkk!!
    Oh but at the end of the day this is just my point of view. Thaanx.

6. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This has been discussed many times. Unlimited data is for data used on the phone only. Not tethering. Verizon can charge you for any data used while tethering if they want. Right now they don't seem to care. When Froyo comes out with built in tethering (if Verizon does not disable it which many think they will) and Verizon officially comes up with a tethering plan for the Droid they might start caring and charging.

7. LtKen

LtKen Silver Member

Ratings:
    +3

You might want to get educated before you post things that are blatantly false. Unlimited means unlimited, IF THE DATA STAYS ON YOUR PHONE. Tethering is explicitly banned in the TOS.

Are you likely to get caught, no. Does Verizon seem to care right now, no. What will happen in the future? No one knows.

As for now, caution is smart.

8. floyd

floyd Member

Ratings:
    +1
    AT&T just changed their data plan on the fly. No more all-you-can eat. You think Verizon won't do the same thing as they claim their network is stressed by more and more wireless users? Read the fine print in your contract. And call your congressman and the neutered FCC when it happens. And watch the tumbleweeds blow by as you wait for action from the crooked sellouts in DC.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Search tags for this page

tethering, what can happen if i do it