Tethering Question, Non BB Related.

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by imati0n, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Raziel36

Raziel36 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Much like religion, just because you choose to live that way doesn't mean you have any right to try and make or expect everyone else to do the same. Chastising people, who most likely are adults, for their use of their phones, will not change anything. Picking on 2 people for something that thousands have pissed you off by doing, may relieve some stress, but what's the point?? lol

2. carlz28

carlz28 Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Easy guys.....the mods and admins don't like to see this kind of discussion going on here at Droidforums.
    I'd hate to see anyone get banned.

Let's try to stay on topic.
    As far as the original question, the unlimited plan truely is unlimited. Quite a few people go over the mythical 5gb limit and have never suffered ill-effects from Verizon.
    Verizon is very capable of telling how data was used on the phone. They have a program to tell if it was being used by your phone or if it was used by tethering.
    So the possibility of getting 'caught' is real...and could lead to problems with your contract.
    However, it is EXTREMELY unlikely Verzion will bother with such a thing unless everybody and their brother starts downloading 20gbs/month.
    So, imati0n, I'd say your safe ;)

3. ZeroBarrier

ZeroBarrier Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Not for their use of their phones, but for the misuse of their service; and don't I have the right when it ultimately affects me (like when Verizon decides to do away with unlimited data plans because users abuse tethering; watch UFC streamed and then Wi-Fi tether Xbox 360's and PS3's)?

We'll suffer soon enough, once Verizon changes their data plans to limited. Don't you think?

4. carlz28

carlz28 Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Well, certainly those of us on the Motodroid will be grandfathered into whatever new data plan packages they decide to go to.
    Though I'm not sure if you'd still be able to stay truely unlimited once your contract expires or a change to your account..i.e upgrading to a new phone but just extending your contract another 24 months (after the data plan change).
    We most likely won't know until if/when Verizon decides to make the change.
    But I can guarantee somebody who bought a data plan before the the change happens, will have unlimited for the length of their contract.
    They can't just go in and modify your contract in the middle of it. Well, I guess technically they can....but that would just create so many headaches for them that it isn't worth it. Plus, if they DO change your contract, then you have certain legal rights to fight it.

5. Corinacakes

Corinacakes Super Moderator
    Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +3
    Let's keep it civil people :D Don't make me pull this car over! :D

6. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7+ 256gb
    They can change it, if they do it will give you a loophole to get out of the termination fee.....

7. Dmoralize

Dmoralize Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Technically, Zero is correct, it's in the TOS so you shouldn't do it. Or at least you can't complain when they crack down on it.

However, I would like to point out to Zero that when any provider sells you an "unlimited" service, they are implying that you should theoretically be able to max out your bandwidth 100% of the time. How does it make any difference whether or not you are utilizing that bandwidth on your phone or on a tethered device? You aren't putting any extra stress on their network by accessing your data through a tethered device instead of your phone... it's the same data. If their network can't handle that much data use, then they should stop selling it to customers. They are only charging extra for a tethering plan because they owe it to their investors to rip-off their customers.

So yeah, I'm not going to cry for Verizon. But I wouldn't tether to my phone as my primary internet connection either. I look at it as a nice extra for times when I don't have any other access.

#19 Dmoralize, Jul 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  8. imati0n

imati0n Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Like I said this is not my primary means of accessing internet. I'm living in a temp house for two weeks while mine gets re-modeled. I don't feel like paying an arm and a leg for internet so I'm tethering for these two weeks then back to Fios at my house.