Tethering: PDANet versus Tether(berry)

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
PDA Net

I saw an article that said you had to switch the phone to debugging mode to PDA Net to work. Is this right? If so, then afterwards do you switch it back the USB mode to the original setting?

Yes, but it's not really necessary to switch USB debugging back off when you're done, unless you're paranoid. I leave mine on all the time with no problems.

Newps

Reaction score
PDA Net

I saw an article that said you had to switch the phone to debugging mode to PDA Net to work. Is this right? If so, then afterwards do you switch it back the USB mode to the original setting?

No, you turn on PDA Net on the phone and then tap "Enable USB Tether". That's it. Just yank the cord out when you're done.

Newps

Reaction score
I use tether for hours at a time. Wifi is no good for that, I'd have to plug it in. If I have to plug it in there's no point in wifi.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I use tether for hours at a time. Wifi is no good for that, I'd have to plug it in. If I have to plug it in there's no point in wifi.

Except that it's free :)

riverdees05

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. I downloaded the trial version and am using it now. It works good. I will use it for a couple of weeks and if I still am as happy as I am now, will purchase it. We do a lot of traveling and some places still down have free wifi, so it should easly pay for itself in no time.:icon_ banana:

leonsb3

Reaction score
when you consider you can get a wifi card/air card for over $60 a month...the one time $20 fee start to look pretty good, no?

riverdees05

Reaction score
When you buy PDA Net, do you buy it for the Droid or do you buy it for the computer? I am looking to use it on two computers at different times.

We were in San Diego last week and the wifi was very bad so used PDA Net many times during our stay.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
When you buy PDA Net, do you buy it for the Droid or do you buy it for the computer? I am looking to use it on two computers at different times.

We were in San Diego last week and the wifi was very bad so used PDA Net many times during our stay.

Not sure what the licensing is. E-mail the Dev and ask. I think it's for the PC, but I'm not sure.

marknichelson

Reaction score

According to the PdaNet site:
"One license covers one phone (you can reuse the license if you switch to a new Android phone). There is no limit on the computer side."

Hope that answers your question.

alanbk

Reaction score
It's currently on sale for 18.95 for the andrioid. Great progarm well worth the price. I bought it for windows mobile long before the droid was ever around.