Tethering Options with Kit Kat on Verizon

bpmcclure

Reaction score
Hi, I lost tether capability with the upgrade to ICS, and ended up rooting and restoring it. I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan and would like to not have to pay extra for the privilege of using it for tethering. This upgrade time around, I thought I'd do some research before shooting myself in the foot. I understand the upgrade to Kit Kat removes root access, and I have read a few comments elsewhere that usb tether may or may not work, but mobile hotspot seems gone.

Anyone got first hand experience on tethering after the upgrade? Thoughts on how to make it work?? Thanks, Bruce

B-Unit

Reaction score
First, the update is still JB, not Kit Kat. Second, get yourself Voodoo Root Keeper. I used that, applied the update, rerooted via voodoo, and my tether works just fine.

OP
B

bpmcclure

Reaction score
First, the update is still JB, not Kit Kat. Second, get yourself Voodoo Root Keeper. I used that, applied the update, rerooted via voodoo, and my tether works just fine.

Thanks! Guess I jumped to a conclusion on just what the update was. Another couple of questions. Do I need to un-root before the update, then re-root using Root Keeper? And do you know if there is a conflict with Root Keeper and Super SU (free version). I looked at Root Keeper and there is reference to SU, but not sure which version is a problem. Anyone know the answer to this one? Do I uninstall SU, install Root Keeper, then proceed?

Just looked at Super SU Pro and it has a survival mode that atteompts to keep root across OTA. Anyone got experience with this on the latest update, 98.72.189?

Sorry for all the questions, I am no pro at this and would like to get it right. And thanks in advance.

Last edited:

B-Unit

Reaction score
Not sure, I discovered that while my tethering continued to work, I was not able to get anything else that required root to work. I simply ran the Razers Edge tool to root again and am back in business.

OP
B

bpmcclure

Reaction score
OK, I used the Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper app, had to install Superuser too. I did a Titanium backup of everything, ran Voodoo, did the root backup, then did a temp unroot using the same app. Then installed the update, ran Voodoo again, and restored root. Everything seems normal. Thanks to all for your suggestions and guidance, I'm sure I'll be back with more issues in future.