Tethering on Verizon Wireless network

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
hello,

So I was browsing the internet today looking for information about tethering a Droid using PdaNet. I know how all that works, but I really wanna know if I'll get caught. Don't tell me "don't overuse it!" I already know that, and what do you mean by "overuse"? is that 5GB, 10GB, what? And can Verizon really catch you, I mean with Skype Mobile taking all this bandwidth on smartphones, how do they know you're using data for tethering through PdaNet? Seriously, how do they know? Do they just look at your data usage and ASSUME you're tethering? Because realistically speaking, I think someone could easily rack up 10, 15, maybe even 20GB per month on a smartphone if they use it most of every day.

And assuming it's even possible to get "caught" (I guess they call you and give you a warning not to tether?) what can they do about it?

And do you think I could get away with 15GB/month of usage through PdaNet without getting "caught"?

Thanks in advance! dancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroid

FastKatt

Reaction score
I use between 10-15GB / Month on my D1
Lisa uses almost 2x that on her DX
Without Tethering...

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
And you're sure it's GB, not MB? And Verizon hasn't called you or flagged your account or anything?

I really want to find out if Verizon is going to do anything if I use 20GB/month (via tethering) and then another 20GB/month on the phone alone, not that they can tell the difference. I guess not? I mean some forums have people that say "oh my cousin's former roomate got flagged for overusing the data!", but then maybe they go way overboard, like running a server or something!

But anyway, wow 20GB/month! I only use 300MB MAYBE on my Palm. But then Palm kinda sucks so I never really use my phone haha.

ffej89

Reaction score
I have used Pdanet since i got my first android in June and i use 10-20 gigs a month

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
WOW! all my "getting caught and penalized" concerns are melting away! See, the Verizon Rep. told me I might be able to get away with 5GB...

jrmdroid

Reaction score
here is my 2 cents. I would say if all your doing is checking email and surfing the web then what is the difference whether you are using your Droid or tethering to a PC and using the PC. Now on the other hand if your downloading huge video files (for example) then VZW might catch on over time but still how do they know your not using your Droid to download it to the 16 GIG SD Card. I have tried easy tether (in the market) and it is way easier to setup on your droid and PC then PDANet from what I have read and from what one of my friends told me first hand. I tried it, this all I did to see what would happen or how it works. I have a very fast internet connection and have no laptops so I really have no need to tether.

also, no matter what do not use the USB Tether that comes with Froyo 2.2. once active and connected to a PC and when you use your browser on your PC to start surfing it will direct you to the VZW page where you can sign up for an additional 15 or 20 buck a month to tether. Been there tried that when I first got the Froyo update and have not tried since.

good luck....

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Yeah I was really disappointed that Verizon blocked Froyo's built-in tethering feature. Disappointed, but not suprised.

JBFuson

Reaction score
Woulndtt worry about it

I have had my moto Droid tething to my laptop and my xbox 360 for almost a yr now and they have never said anything to me. I never look to see how much BW im using, nor do i even care. If they ever asked me i would deny it and there is nothing they can do. If the tethering was at a reasonable price i would pay for it. 60 bucks for 5 GB is nuts. I use that in a week easily.

JBFuson

Reaction score
update

with almost 2 weeks left before the billing cycle ends i have used 12.319GB of Unlimited. The other droid on my plan that isnt tethering hasnt even used a GB yet. I estimate I prob use around 20GB a month. They have never said anything to me.