Tethering on my phone sucks.

nathantaylor07

Reaction score
I have a Droid x and its rooted. I did not root it and do not really know what it really does. I know that I can tether with my phone being rooted. It has the app easy tether on it and that is what I have used when I have used my kindle fire. The problem is it barely works. The signal will show full strength but the tablet acts like there is no signal. Thanks for any help. Also some pointers to understanding the "rooting of a phone" would be awesome. I am pretty ignorant about this stuff.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

leftspin

Reaction score
Having root privileges on a Linux system (like Android) is essentially akin to having Administrator privileges on a Windows system. It allows you to make changes to system files and components that you are prevented from accessing as a non-root user. This is how we are able to install custom recoveries like CWM, by changing files that require root privileges to change.

As far as your main question, could you be a bit more clear? I don't understand if you mean that you're trying to tether the Kindle Fire to the Droid X in order to use the internet on the Kindle Fire, or if you've already tethered on your Kindle Fire and you don't understand why it doesn't work on the X. Also, what version of Android is running on your Droid X? This can be found in Settings>About Phone. This is important because on different versions of Android we need to do different things to get tethering to work properly.

OP
N

nathantaylor07

Reaction score
Thank u for your timely response. Sorry for the ambiguity of the question. What I was trying to ask is why does the kindle act like it does not have a signal to work off of. It will show that the signal is full but when I try to search on the internet, it acts like there is no connection. Also I would like to know how to get more out of this phone being rooted.

leftspin

Reaction score
Thank u for your timely response. Sorry for the ambiguity of the question. What I was trying to ask is why does the kindle act like it does not have a signal to work off of. It will show that the signal is full but when I try to search on the internet, it acts like there is no connection. Also I would like to know how to get more out of this phone being rooted.

I'm not sure why the kindle's connection isn't very good, maybe your data connection isn't very good? There's a difference between being connected to a network and being connected to the internet. You can have a really strong signal from the network but if the internet connection is weak then you won't be able to browse very well.

As far as getting the most out of a rooted phone, for me the biggest thing is flashing (installing) custom ROMs which are versions of Android that have been modified to add more features and functionality. If that's something that you want to get into I recommend doing a good amount of research so that you understand what you're doing. There are also a bunch of apps that need root to work.

Reaction score
the easy tether app isn't a "wi-fi or hot spot" app. It requires your phone to be connected via usb cable to the device and there is a program needed to be downloaded and installed on said device.

Search for tethering in the forums, I know there is an app out there wifitether that I had and it sets your phone up like a hot spot. I used to have this app working well, then I don't know what happened and just can't get it to work right anymore.....

Natey2

Reaction score
Install FoxFi on the DroidX. You don't need to be rooted. Configure & launch it, and connect your tablet via WiFi to the DroidX hotspot. Works for me.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk