Tethering: How your phone connects and facts and myths about it debate...

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Mojo, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aminaked

aminaked Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, the droid can't stream netflix, run java or flash or silverlight. Requests for this data are usually not encrypted. They can certainly set up software that looks to see if you're consistently downloading things like this. That would be evidence enough for them.

But I'm wondering if they would analyze traffic, not if they could. I know they could. Perhaps if anyone out there who got caught is reading this thread, they can give us more information on what Verizon told them.

2. harv2000

harv2000 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    A technical fact that would be helpful, I think, is knowing what the string issuing from PDANET contains. I've seen posts talking about the Droid as a router performing NAT, but if this is true, then there is a critical issue. With router strings, deep in the string, there is an identity of the machine behind NAT that receives the incoming data. Otherwise, the Router has no way of identifying one browsers request from another browsers request. So, if the Droid running PDANET is providing NAT services, then your request strings very nicely identify a foreign requester on the network.

3. mcatdtDroid

mcatdtDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0

post up a cancelled contract, huge bill, from anyone on the inet to prove this, or don't..... until you do, you are just fear mongering.....

can they, yes
    have they? that's the million dollar question that noone that is fearmongering can seem to provide proof to. yet they keep spouting off.

so, until then.....

iTeather

I stream movies
    I watch HULU
    I cancelled my home inet and tether exclusively
    I am tethered right now
    I even stream pron
    and as soon as I find out how, I will hook up my video game units to play online through tethering
    I plan on ruining it for everyone

I bought a droid to consolidate EVERYTHING into one unit, including internet. If it had a cable tv app, I'd have my TV hooked up to it right now instead of paying for knology cable.

4. BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I just rooted my droid and got the Wireless Tethering for Rooted Users app. It works perfectly.

I like to be on the safe side of things, so I called up Verizon Wireless and asked if I could get the broadband addon to my plan so I could tether legally. I talked to 2 different reps that said my phone doesn't support tethering so they couldn't do that. The last rep said that if I found an app on the market that allowed me to tether "it must be ok."

So I couldn't even get them to add on the broadband connect cuz my Motorola Droid doesn't support tethering.

I talked to both reps about this page: Verizon Wireless - Mobile Broadband - Products -- And both reps said they don't offer such a service. I got so frustrated that I just left it at that. They don't want my money? Fine.

I only plan on using tethering as a backup anyway since I have internet at work/college/home. But it is incredibly frustrating that they offer this on the website and I really tried to do things the "right way" but in the end, couldn't.

#28 BigMcGuire, May 10, 2010
    Last edited: May 10, 2010
  5. mcatdtDroid

mcatdtDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    but but but.....

you are still ruining it for everyone else lol

6. BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    OK I called a third time, this time armed with the website address and exact information.

This is what I got from the Verizon Wireless Rep. The $15 month Mobile Broadband Connect is for the Droid Incredible. The Motorola Droid does not support tethering so it cannot be added to my plan.

I asked her if I found an app on the market that allowed me to tether, it was ok to use it? And she said yes, as long as I stay under 5GB. I asked again saying, "I don't have to pay anything?" She said no, not for now.

Out of the 3 reps I talked to - this rep really seemed to know her stuff.

7. jroc

jroc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Fearmongering? Naw man. Its pointing out that if you do get hit with a huge bill or your service gets cancelled, dont come crying and bashing Verizon. Like if I use torrents to download copyrighted material and get sued or fined, I cant blame no one but myself.

Thats all. Just informing ppl. And like BigMcGuire and some others have said, stay under 5GB, dont get outrageous with it and you will be fine. So I dont see the problem....

8. rpk717

rpk717 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Customers who do not have dedicated Mobile Broadband devices cannot tether other devices to laptops or personal computers for use as wireless modems unless they subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect.

I have an Aircard that I pay a monthly fee to use on my wife's laptop. Does that mean I can legally use my Droid to tether my laptop?

9. mcatdtDroid

mcatdtDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Still no mythological bills. I'm beginning to think huge bills and cancelled contracts are like bigfoot sitings... on people who claim they have seen them are drunks and whackjobs, but they will try to make u feel like you are the crazy one. :tinfoilhat:

10. jroc

jroc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +63
    I think someone (might have been aminaked) made a good point: its not a matter of can they but will they?

Remember when torrents first came out? No ISP's were throttling, degrading the connection. I dont even remember Joe Public getting sued or fined for getting copyrighted material thru torrents back then. Fast forward about 10 years. I used both Comcast and RCN and they BOTH throttle. (I'm on RCN now) RCN isnt even considered a major player and they throttle now. Folks have gotten fined or sued for getting copyrighted material thru torrents.

Its not a matter of can they but will they.....

11. LtKen

LtKen Silver Member

Ratings:
    +3
    You've proven you have a problem with responsibility. I'm beginning to think that those who claim Verizon will never do anything are like the homeless people who sit outside the White House and protest the Vietnam War...

It clearly states that you're breaking the rules, and you CAN be punished, and quite frankly, if Verizon thinks people are abusing their networks, they WILL go after you. This is why they charge $30 extra a month to tether 5gb, to keep people from abusing their network. That $30/month isnt pure profit, it goes towards maintaining the hardware you're abusing.

Have fun tethering, keep it up, just dont expect any sympathy here when Verizon does decide they've had enough.

#35 LtKen, May 10, 2010
    Last edited: May 10, 2010
  12. ViciousCircle

ViciousCircle Android Addict
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    She couldn't have know all her stuff though since there is no 5GB cap on the data plan that you have to get when you get a droid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dns not verified

facts about tethering

is pdanet detectable

is pdanet detectable by verizon
pdanet connected dns 1 1
tethering facts
this device is currently not authorized to access dial-up

this device is currently not authorized to access dial-up ne

verizon this device is currently not authorized to access di