Tethering - Here's why I wouldn't do it...

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by JFDroid, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Mikejl

Mikejl Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Check out post #23 of this thread.

Mike

#49 Mikejl, Apr 24, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  2. JCo352

JCo352 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you work for Verizon?

3. funkdoctor

funkdoctor New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    First off - in the original message you state that Verizon has instructed its employees to disconnect service on customers who have a rooted phone, and force a ETF!? You realize that is illegal, right? The FCC is already all over Verizon about their ETF prices, and you expect us to believe they are now going to attempt to break the law by forcing charges on people who modify their phones? Come on buddy, 4/20 was last week. As far as tethering, it is risky. I personally know people who were hit with big charges by Verizon - but not on an Android phone. The idea that Verizon is going to try to force people to pay an ETF for rooting is fantasy though.

#51 funkdoctor, Apr 24, 2010
  4. Mojo

Mojo Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Did.. until 03/28/10 ;)

#52 Mojo, Apr 24, 2010
  5. JCo352

JCo352 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Umm that date doesn't exist lol.

6. Mojo

Mojo Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Corrected it... typo. 03/28/10

7. funkdoctor

funkdoctor New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    First off - in the original message you state that Verizon has instructed its employees to disconnect service on customers who have a rooted phone, and force a ETF!? You realize that is illegal, right? The FCC is already all over Verizon about their ETF prices, and you expect us to believe they are now going to attempt to break the law by forcing charges on people who modify their phones? Come on buddy, 4/20 was last week.

8. ska8r411

ska8r411 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thats BS. We the people are what makes Verizon,Verizon.
    They wouldnt want to lose our service.

Plus iv gotten tech support before and theyv been through my phone that was rooted and had smoked glass,i dont think the guy noticed tho lol

9. dolfanpete

dolfanpete Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks....i guess if that is not a need for me than i really dont care about it. i have internet at home, pc's and xbox, ps3...so i really dont need this tethering i guess :)....

now the rooting.....we'll see

10. Mikejl

Mikejl Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't be too sure about that. I have installed Internet reporting hardware in our data center and I can tell you where any of the 2000 users going through our proxy have gone for the last 6 plus months down to the minute.

I don't know if Vz had this capability, but it is easy enough to implement.

You are correct about needing a team of people dedicated to do nothing but monitor internet and data usage. I only have time to check internet usage when HR makes a request for particular user.

I imagine Vz is like every other company and running with as few employees as possible.

Mike

11. funkdoctor

funkdoctor New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I sat and watched a family member argue with Verizon over her tethering fees, the prospect of her account being cancelled, their accusations of her usage, her denials etc. I sat and watched all of this, and read the initial letter from Verizon regarding her tethering abuse. Is it your opinion that the Verizon store in NW Washington DC is a sort of super Verizon that is able to detect tethering when no other Verizons can?

BTW, thats sarcasm. I've seen it with my own eyes, so please lets not argue about whether i happens. I am fairly certain that my family member did not pay, but she is no longer on Verizon. Her account was closed and I am guessing the bill is in collections. The device was a Blackberry Storm and all of this happened in 2010.

12. aminaked

aminaked Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What's up with people saying that my cable company is going to hack through my firewall to undelete my log data? Do you live in China or something?

As far as Verizon not being able to tell what your data is, sure phone reps don't have access to that but surely verizon does at some level (they forwarded all data to the NSA) unless the traffic is encrypted/proxied. They COULD automate things. An algorithm could look for signs of tethering and simply tack it on my bill without human intervention. Heck, verizon tacked on a mystery charge the day I switched from at&t. I think it would be profitable to nail tetherers.

Search tags for this page
can i find out if my verizon account is hacked through vzam
easytether ipv6
easytether legal
easytether on dd-wrt
is easy tether legal
is easy tether safe

is easytether legal

is easytether safe

tether promo code android
tethering surf track sites