Tethering - Here's why I wouldn't do it...

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by JFDroid, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Varking

Varking Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It may have to do with your trend of data usage as well. I can confirm that I have been over the 5gb Data Cap on tethering alone for well over five straight months on the Droid, but even before that, a full year on my BlackBerry and not once have I ever been hit with an extra fee. Just tethering. I use a lot more data then that on a monthly basis as a whole.

2. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +319
    I spent 2-1/2 years with VZW in a call center and was a Senior Rep. I did not go to Tech Support because I didn't want to lose seniority when it came time to pick our shifts. By the time I left a year ago, they basically had me cross trained to do what a tech support person could do, but not quite all the resources they had. Having said that.

1. There is no 5GB data limit with your Droid.
    2. The Employee Accounts were never monitored.
    3. I, nor anyone I worked with or still work for VZW have heard or seen an instance where someone got busted for tethering either with PDANet or WiFi tether.
    4. I think the O.P. was given a line of crap.
    5. If you do tether, do so wisely and you'll be ok

3. nateccnn

nateccnn Active Member

Ratings:
    +25
    You obviously don't work in data security. Those expired logs are still there for one thing. Unless you wipe your drive every two days with data wipe software package. But you are kind of right since the NAT tables are on the inside of the network, if you have security set up right they would have to log into your PC to access them. Anything they see on the router side will report an ip adress of the router so unless my Droid is broadcasting the network translation from Barancle, Vz has no idea I have a PC onnected to it wirelessly. Just keep in mind that without a firewall, they can get in and see the NAT talbles. How's your firewall? All the ports blocked? Do you game? If so...they can get in.

Also...When I bought my Droid I asked the sales rep about tethering and she told me I would have to download an app from the market but that Vz does not support or condone it. I asked if they forbid it and she told me that if I have the right package they would never know or care to know. I went with unlimitewd data package so I asked about the 5 mb per month limit mentioned on many websites and she said it was bull feces. All this time I was drilling her I was expecting to choke her up but saying...OK lets see it in writing. So she brought the contract out and we read it together. Nothin in there that gives them authority to charge me extra if I go over any certian limit of data. Period. Took about an hour to get through the whole document but I was satisfied that my lmitied tethering was not going to violate any terms of my service contract. About the only thing they can get me for is in stalling non-authorized applicaitons. Anything that comes from the market would be tough to prove is an un-authorized applicaiton. Unless they specify in my contract that I can't use Barnacle...which they did not. So I say to Vz...sue me.

I laughed at the OP because he makes it sound like the Vz stores just found out about rooting. My sales rep told me where to get info on rooting. And she made me promise to put it back to stock if it needs work at a store. They know about it, folks. They don't support it. They don't condone it. And if it breaks your phone it voids your warranty. And that's about all I see that they can do to you.

My adivce is worth exactly what I charged you for it.

Nate

4. nateccnn

nateccnn Active Member

Ratings:
    +25
    If the phone is set up to allow another computer to share it's internet it releys on some level of routing and NAT. The computer has to have a different iP from the phone. Otherwise the phone won't know where to send the packets.

EDIT: Whoops...I thoguth that said ROUTING is not required.

NAte

5. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7+ 256gb
    You did this as this is the Only package you can get with a Droid.

6. rkeller62

rkeller62 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Guess I will add my 3 cents:

1) The ETF is to protect vzw from you canceling early. Legally I don't think they can charge it if they terminate you.

2) If you root you void your phone warranty, not your TOS. They have every right to refuse to service your phone, but I don't think they have any grounds to terminate your contract.

3) they do not keep, or at least can't use, detailed usage logs. When I had my xv6700 I decided to turn off my data plan to save money. Next bill they hit me with $150 dollars in data charges. When I called customer service they told me they could only tell me how much usage I had on a daily basis, not what the usage was. Turned out I had used 100 mb of data the day I called and turned data off, but they made the turn-off retroactive to the beginning of the day. Needless to say I got a $150 credit for that one.

7. JCo352

JCo352 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't tether really at all, because the 3G at my house is terrible, so I'm always connected to wifi at the house. But as far as rooting and having to take my phone in if something goes wrong(Assuming it's FUBAR). You can just call me unethical, because I will "lose" my phone.

8. nateccnn

nateccnn Active Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Yup...you're right. I used the wrong terminology. I meant to say I got the UNLIMITED EVERY GAWD DOHM THING package. I have the Mobile Broadband Connect and pay something like 139 bucks per month to keep them off my hairy back.

I think they are kissing my ass right now at the annual board memebers convention. I used like 39 kilobytes so far this month and have only hooked up to tether just to test the settings. LOL

I am going on the road next week and plan to use the service I have paid for though. Watch out Verizon...you may want to check out your LOCs and be sure you have the credit to cover my ass. LOL

Nate

9. christim

christim Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +2
    There is a market app that lets you tether via usb for and you do not need to be rooted. Look for PdaNet.

To wifi tether you do indeed need to be rooted.

10. dolfanpete

dolfanpete Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i wish i knew what this was all about. lol. tethering? is that when you put the droid on a rope and tie it to a pole with a tire on the bottom and keep hitting it in circles like in napoleon dynamite? j/k. but what is this tethering. i keep hearing something about the router, and that the cable company can find out...find out what exactly? i understand the rooting part, where they dont want us to modify the phone so that they can charge us later on for doing those things....what the hell are these little monsters we have? jeeesh. i like it....glad i have one.

11. Orion223

Orion223 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Having listened (well, rather 'read') some of the more 'learned' individuals here on the forums, I must conclude that TS may have a certain, shall we say 'vested interest' in 'relaying' this information to us. I call ... MOLE :icon_evil:

12. Mojo

Mojo Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You guys do realize the cost it would take for Verizon to dedicate teams of people to start analizing peoples accounts to see if your tethering. As another poster posted... they can only see the ammount of data transmitted. Not where you go or have been. Billing is auto generated. Not some person looking at individual usage and adding up a bill for it.

Tethering through vzaccess manager or any other software that Verizon develops or enables on your phone is the only, let me say that again.. the only way that Verizon can see that your tethering! Using pdanet.. wireless tether.. ect... only shows under your total data usage.

When I look at an account in EROES and look at someones data usage, there is two things to look at data usage and tethering usage. Tethering usage ONLY shows up if connected through vzaccess manager.

The only other way to detect tethering would to look at data trends. And spikes in data usage. But they still would have one hell of a time to prove it. And the cost involved in having people analyze This would be astronomical! Out of the 5+ years I have been in the cellphone industry I've never once had to deal with a customer billing issue due to unauthorized tethering. Never!

I've seen posts on crackberry and other sites of people making claims that they was billed for usage or canceled. But yet there has never been any proof backing up those claims. In all the years being on these tech blogs, forums, etc... one would think someone would post proof of these claims. A letter from Verizon, a bill statement, a cancellation notice. Something! But I have yet to see any proof. Period.

Search tags for this page
can i find out if my verizon account is hacked through vzam
easytether ipv6
easytether legal
easytether on dd-wrt
is easy tether legal
is easy tether safe

is easytether legal

is easytether safe

tether promo code android
tethering surf track sites