Tethering - Here's why I wouldn't do it...

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I seriously doubt they would ban you from service without so much as a warning.

So many things have pages of fine print.
I have not read the entire contract I have with Verizon.
If rooting your phone violates your warranty and if that means they don't have to assist you anymore, then you already have been warned. If tethering violates the term of your contract then, again, you already have been warned. That being said, if someone wants to post those relevant terms of the contract and share with us all, please do so.

Not that I advocate excessive tethering or anything, but with the current apps, VZW has no idea if the 15gb I downloaded last month stayed on my phone, or was forwarded via WiFi Tether to a PC....

It's just like how Bright House cable cant tell (easily) which PC on my network gets the most use, as far as they know, it's all going to and from my router.

It depends. If you tether and visit some webpages when your internet is down they most likely can't tell.

If you tether, visit Hulu and stream down some shows they can tell. Your phone can't generate that traffic and can not use that traffic.

If you tether your xbox and play some games your phone also can not generate nor use that traffic. ISP's most definitely can track the type of traffic and the protocols used.

Now, that being said nobody knows if they will do anything. However if it is impacting their traffic and they terminate the contracts for the first 50 people they catch tethering I bet it alters the behavior of a bunch of other people who are doing the same.

Odds are you won't be the one caught so we can all sit back and keep an eye out on things and either some random people get nailed, or they don't. Then we each decide what we want to do in the future.

V

verian

the person who started this thread shouldn't be making claims on Verizon's behalf.
1) there are people employed by Verizon whom are members of this community and or troll the forums. (everyone has know about the tethering scene the begining)

2) they can vary easily tell if your tethering by the information in the packets going threw your 3g connection. (if your dumb*** is playing farm ville on facebook on your verzion account they know. don't think your slick.

3) If they were unaware of the want for such and ability it wouldn't be coming as a service provided by them with a fee on fresh and upcoming android phones.

4) If everyone would shut up talking about it and quit spouting bull crap.

and number C) why would they cancel service on a breach of contract when they could just make you pay more money.

I went threw this with us cellular they accused me of tethering. they said my phone's browser couldn't us as much data as I was burning threw. Holy crap they were right. They busted me. I told them to prove it they said legally they can't. Its against the law to be tracking someones internet usage so closely. They accused me of using torrents to d/l hd programing. They were right again. they had me nailed but couldn't touch me. you know what i got out of all of this. I FING Dorid they had no choice but to let me out of my contract with no penalty or restore service. contracts provide protection both ways user and provider. If people would stop tethering to play MW2 none of this would be up for consideration. don't believe me search it there is a thread in DF witch should be called how to be a dumb *** but instead is called how to get XBL to work with the droid. I'm sorry ban me if you need to but all the people doing stupid crap are ruining it for everyone.

V

verian

Sorry to hijack the conversation but you legally get 5Gb to use as you wish Verizon has been kind enough to turn and look the other way as we all reach upwards of 10 or 15Gb thank you Verizon thank you. they don't have to do that unlimited data doesn't me unlimited it means 5Gb a month. but they get it 5Gb isn't enough any more.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I think if they started to really crack down on this the bad PR would be at the worst time imaginable, Apple is trying to gear up as much as possible and is taking ATT with it. They need all the support they can get to stay ahead. If they go crushing contracts and charging fines it holds that in jeopardy, IMO.

bullhonkie

Reaction score
If you really believe that you could be in for a rude awakening. They can access your router at any time and they can see exactly what each device is doing.

Right. The cable company can look past my router password and violate all the rules of NAT, to view my routers logs (that expire every 2 days). Sorry dude, it cant be done.

LOL! You don't think they have a root password that supersedes yours? Guess again. Call them and ask them to check your router. They will NOT asks for your password and they can get into it. I have called my provider before and listened as they did it. Try it. Tell them you are having dropped packets and ask them to check your event or error log.

Wow. Really? Just wow.

You should just stop because every post you make makes it clearer that you have absolutely no idea how packet routing works and what the basic functionality of a NAT-performing router is.

The only way what you're claiming could even be remotely possible is if you used a router that was provided by your ISP. Even then it would be ridiculous because it would be such an enormous security risk to have a single password that would grant access to any and all routers from that ISP. Do you realize how silly that would be? If anyone were to leak that password, then every single customer of that ISP could have their routers hijacked and used for botnets, DDoSes, or other nefarious purposes. Ask any security expert and they'd tell you that has to be one of the worst ideas ever.

A root password that supersedes all others. Even on custom firmware like DD-WRT or Tomato. That just makes my day.

Actually on-topic:
As others have stated, Verizon can't tell if the traffic originates from or goes to a device other than your phone. However if you visit certain sites (Hulu streaming was a good example) or transfer certain types of packets (gaming over XBL, online PC gaming, etc) that your phone obviously can't go to or generate on its own then all bets are off. As long as you're smart about it, only do things while tethering that your phone could do and don't consume unusually high amounts of bandwidth, I don't see that they would have any reason to be suspicious.

Rogerdodger

Reaction score
Please explain "tethering" and why Verizon is against it

Hi all -------- I really enjoy all the various tech stuff ---------
but would someone please explain " tethering " to me . What is it ---------- and why is Verizon not happy about it .
I don't get it ------- They sell a phone that can do all this stuff and then they say you can do this ------- but you can't do that .
PLEASE FORGIVE ME --- I'M A LITTLE CLUELESS ON THIS
Thanks in advance for explaining this . :)

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Tethering is when you use your phone as a modem for your computer. You turn the 3g service from Verizon into an internet connection for your computer.

The reason Verizon isn't happy is for two reasons:

1) They can't charge you for a typically paid service. Tethering for free when you are supposed to pay is robbing them of that money. Also people being able to tether for free means many more people are going to do it, which causes the second issue.

2) Using all that data, with so many customers using it at once, slows down the system because it's consuming much more data than is typical. This slow down, if enough at once, can cause issues AKA the reliability of AT&T's service (dropped calls, spotty 3g, exc...)

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
This thread is entertaining. So much misinformation is going around on so many different subjects.

By the way, can someone supply me with the fine print that Verizon can cancel your account PLUS makes you pay an ETF for violating the warranty terms on your phone?

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I don't even think Verizon even knows what all is in their fine print.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Exactly. Hence, I don't ever foresee this happening.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
This thread is entertaining. So much misinformation is going around on so many different subjects.

By the way, can someone supply me with the fine print that Verizon can cancel your account PLUS makes you pay an ETF for violating the warranty terms on your phone?

You're right.

I also wanted to add that if you encrypt all traffic and use a proxy, then they'd probably have no way of knowing what you're doing with your phone. Of course they could still tell the AMOUNT of data.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Actually if you coat your Droid in tinfoil (approximately 3cm thick) then they can't even detect the amount of data either.