Tethering Hack

TheSilencer1313

Reaction score
I just completed the radiocomm tethering hack yesterday, and everything was working fine.... including tethering.
I woke up this morning and now I have hardly any service.
3g is going in and out constantly, and texts messages take forever to go through (if they go through at all).

Does anyone think this is because of the tethering hack, or do you think Verizon is down in my area??

Shimmy549

Reaction score
Nothing like that happened to me and I've not heard of it happening to anyone else, either. Yeah, that's anecdotal, but I wouldn't worry.

If hotspot worked for you after you hacked, then you didn't screw up the hack. As long as you didn't mess with anything else while connected to the RadioComm program, I'd say it's just a regional Verizon glitch.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

TheSilencer1313

Reaction score
Yeah I was hoping is was just the Verizon network going down.
Everything worked fine after the hack, and I haven't had my phone connected to radiocomm since.

One more question though.....
Do you think Verizon will be able to detect people that do the hack somehow (through sim card maybe) and are tethering?

Shimmy549

Reaction score
Well, this hack makes it appear as though all of your phone's data is being used by your phone. That's how it should look to Verizon. To the best of my knowledge, there is no other way for Verizon to determine whether or not you're using your phone as a hotspot.

I've used hotspot sparingly and I've not been charged the $29.99 or whatever it is for the service and there've been no inexplicable data charges on my bills. By all accounts, this hack is legit.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

solraven

Reaction score
I suppose that depends on what country you are in. If you are in the U.S. and on Verizon then you won't be using anything other than CDMA unless you go outside of our borders, but I suppose if you were in another country, you wouldn't have asked this.

Side Note: When I installed the last OTA update, it reset my radio back to its original configuration and I had to do the hack over again. Thought I would throw this out there.

so you can still OTA update after rooting? on d1 it would try to ota but fail as the bootloader doesn't pass a check.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
so you can still OTA update after rooting? on d1 it would try to ota but fail as the bootloader doesn't pass a check.

Rooting wasn't what caused OTA's to fail. It was the custom recovery. If you just rooted you could accept the OTA and it would pass. The bootloader had nothing to do with it.

"Stay classy Interwebz"

mikedyk43

Reaction score

Yes you can OTA when rooted, however, you must be stock (no ROM) and you MUST have all of the apps that came with the phone. It has also been discovered that the last OTA update has patched the current root exploit, so if you wish to stay rooted I recommend the OTA Rootkeeper app (free in the market).

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

jkcsho

Reaction score
Has nebody had issues lately? WY wife's d4 was doing the same thing for like 2 weeks then whala! They started working again.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums