Tethering Droid to PC

aliskay

Reaction score
I just bought the Droid this past weekend. The sales person said, "all you have to do is plug in the tether from your phone to your desktop PC and you will have internet on your PC". I should have known it sounded too good to be true.

Anyone that can possibly 'dumb this down' for me to get internet access on my PC (no internal wi-fi card)?? :blink:

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
PDANet... check the Android Market.

I purchased it and it's completely worth it. I don't like using WiFi tethering because it drains your battery in 50-90 minutes. Corded tethering is the way for me 90% of the time.

OP
A

aliskay

Reaction score

I purchased it and it's completely worth it. I don't like using WiFi tethering because it drains your battery in 50-90 minutes. Corded tethering is the way for me 90% of the time.

A little dumber please...

I clicked on Android Market, then what....? :unsure:

sockmess

Reaction score
look up PDAnet. your going to have to install it on your computer and phone.

If you have no internet for your computer don't worry. Just install pdanet on your phone from the market and then connect the phone to your computer, mount usb and copy the file or whatever file specified to your computer. its free for about a week i think and then you pay a one time fee of $20. Worth it if you don't have broadband or plan on using internet for your laptop away from home and wi-fi access areas a lot.
Don't expect brodband speeds though. Though i can get up to 2Mbps downloads on good days. That is still not good enough for gaming, but decent enough for Hulu and youtube.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL

A little dumber please...

I clicked on Android Market, then what....? :unsure:

Here's a link to the Android page of the company that makes PDANet.

Download PdaNet

Just download the appropriate file for the computer you want to tether to. Install it.

Then download the Android app for your phone that you want to provide the internet access.

The rest should be pretty obvious. If not just come back and post.

Good Luck... No worries, it's pretty easy!

OP
A

aliskay

Reaction score
Okay, now that I am tethered, my internet is bigger than my screen and going to page, then zoom and shrinking makes what I am typing all out of whack. Any idea?

texasPI

Reaction score
pdanet is free......forever.

No its not. A payment of 20 dollars after the trial period is needed, of course you can cheat it. But why would you do that?

Wrong...it is free forever. Please don't spread misinformation. When you first use the program its a trial version of the full software. After the trial period expires then you can still connect to the internet; however, HTTPS will be blocked. Which (for the OP) means that basically anything that requires you to sign in (i.e. email, banking etc.) will not work because those types of services use HTTPS.

Btw sockmess, use of these and other programs cheat VZW don't they? So, don't be all mightier than thou...

OP
A

aliskay

Reaction score
I will need access to the HTTPS as that is a lot of why I am on the internet, email, banking, bill paying, etc.

I am not cheating Verizon in any way as you are forced, yes, forced to pay $29/month for the internet access when purchasing this phone, it is not an option to not pay the internet fee.

Last edited:

texasPI

Reaction score
I will need access to the HTTPS as that is a lot of why I am on the internet, email, banking, bill paying, etc.

I am not cheating Verizon in any way as you are forced, yes, forced to pay $29/month for the internet access when purchasing this phone, it is not an option to not pay the internet fee.

aliskay, my comments about the cheating were not directed at you. Just for clarification however, the $30 data plan you pay for your phone does not cover tethering. If you want tethering from VZW you'll have to pay $30 on top of the $30 you pay for the Droid. That is if you wanted to do it the proper way. Just FYI, the use of programs like these are a violation of VZW's terms of service. Not trying to scare you or anything but you should go into this with your eyes wide open. I'm not a prude or anything, in fact I use easytether.

That said, you should also check out easytether in the market. The full version costs $9.95.

OP
A

aliskay

Reaction score

aliskay, my comments about the cheating were not directed at you. Just for clarification however, the $30 data plan you pay for your phone does not cover tethering. If you want tethering from VZW you'll have to pay $30 on top of the $30 you pay for the Droid. That is if you wanted to do it the proper way. Just FYI, the use of programs like these are a violation of VZW's terms of service. Not trying to scare you or anything but you should go into this with your eyes wide open. I'm not a prude or anything, in fact I use easytether.

That said, you should also check out easytether in the market. The full version costs $9.95.

I know you were not commenting directly to me about the cheating. The salesperson told me directly that the $29/month would cover my surfing on the droid and tethering. I specifically asked this as I do try to keep the eyes wide open about what my costs are going to be. I told her I was paying $60 to sprint and she said now I can save $30 month by tethering my droid directly to my pc, her words.

sockmess

Reaction score
Wrong...it is free forever. Please don't spread misinformation. When you first use the program its a trial version of the full software. After the trial period expires then you can still connect to the internet; however, HTTPS will be blocked. Which (for the OP) means that basically anything that requires you to sign in (i.e. email, banking etc.) will not work because those types of services use HTTPS.

Btw sockmess, use of these and other programs cheat VZW don't they? So, don't be all mightier than thou...

Being that Verizion doesn't really have an option to have the droid enable other products to go online, your not really cheating them. Especially since you have to buy a data plan this is just letting you use it to its fullest extent.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
For the OP, in a nutshell you can go to the market, look up "contacts" and download something that organizes your contacts for you. It's a tool that is available to you and everyone else. Verizon has their own similar tool online. I don't think using one of the MANY from the market is cheating anyone.

Now I don't think that Verizon offers a tethering tool/app for the Droid but even if they did, getting one from the market is not cheating them or anyone else.

PDAnet I've used before rooting and was happy with it though I never paid for the full version because I didn't need the access to secured pages. Use it for the trial period and if it suits your needs, then pull the trigger and buy it. Or try one of the other ones out there. You can always uninstall something you don't use.