Tethering Detected message with PdaNet and Easy Tether

magickhapns

Reaction score
Hello I'm new to the forums and to Android, please bare with me if this has been already addressed else where, I searched for my problem in the Forums but didn't find a solution.

I've recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy 3. I purchased unlimited data for my phone and I told the customer service rep that my intention was to use it as a HotSpot, since internet service in my home area is lame. I was told by that customer service agent that there were Android apps I can download to make it into a HotSpot. After researching I found both PdaNet and Easy Tether.

But every time I activate either I get a message on my phone that says:

Tethering Detected
Tethering and Portable WiFi Hotspot service requires a subscription plan. Call 611 to subscribe.

Mind you I called my provider again but of course you get a different representative every time you call in and I was told that they could not help me, since they were not aware of any 3rd party app that could help my situation.

I read all the reviews and FAQ...I found that with Easy Tether, I can use the USB connection and that the String Agent for my computer and smart phone should correlate in order for the message not to be triggered since "Some carriers inspect your HTTP traffic for the so-called user agent string in order to detect tethering".

After following the instructions I'm still getting the message "Tethering Detected". I've searched the internet and haven't found any other solution. Can anyone assist me?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Not sure who your carrier is, but I'm going to assume that if you want to use your phone as a mobile hotspot, then I'm betting there's an extra monthly fee on top of your current data plan so you can use that feature. At least on Verizon, technically it's not legal to tether using just a data plan which is why they have a mobile hotspot plan.

OP
M

magickhapns

Reaction score
Not sure who your carrier is, but I'm going to assume that if you want to use your phone as a mobile hotspot, then I'm betting there's an extra monthly fee on top of your current data plan so you can use that feature. At least on Verizon, technically it's not legal to tether using just a data plan which is why they have a mobile hotspot plan.

Interesting...I was not aware it was ilegal...and neither time was I told my my service provider that what I was doing was ilegal, in fact like I mentioned above...the rep herself suggested that I can find an app to assist me in making my phone a HotSpot. Both times I called the reps did mention that I could purchase a HotSpot plan...but that it would only limit me to 2g...and I told them I needed it for my online biz...thus I purchased my unlimited data plan. How confusing...not being techy doesn't help the situation...sigh. Thanks for your input ;)

Roget83

Reaction score
I have used PDAnet for several months with no problems at all.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Interesting...I was not aware it was ilegal...and neither time was I told my my service provider that what I was doing was ilegal, in fact like I mentioned above...the rep herself suggested that I can find an app to assist me in making my phone a HotSpot. Both times I called the reps did mention that I could purchase a HotSpot plan...but that it would only limit me to 2g...and I told them I needed it for my online biz...thus I purchased my unlimited data plan. How confusing...not being techy doesn't help the situation...sigh. Thanks for your input ;)

Well I know on Verizon it can be considered a breach of contract, from what I've been told. Verizon has tethering plans for a reason, to make more money. Not sure about your service provider

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I believe the "official" ruling is that hacking the Hotspot feature built into the phone to use the Verizon Hotspot itself is a violation of TOS, but due to a recent FCC settlement with Verizon and overriding ruling regarding the 700mHz band on which 4G runs, third party apps such as PDANet which essentially "tether" the phone through software can not be considered a violation of the TOS by Verizon, since doing so essentially violates the rights of use dictated by the FCC.

This means, if it can be installed and run without modifying the phone or firmware, it is considered legal. Verizon may not like it, and they'll try to change the firmware with updates to circumvent any exploits ("holes") in the system that are taken advantage of to effect the wireless tethering, but there's no legal recourse available to them.

See below;

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57...ns-fcc-tethering-settlement-means-to-you-faq/

Last edited:

wcjeep

Reaction score
I'm curious how the OP recently purchased the phone and Unlimited Data.

OP
M

magickhapns

Reaction score
I'm curious how the OP recently purchased the phone and Unlimited Data.

Hi, I just moved to a new state and my service provider that I had for years can not provide me with adequate service, so I had to go to the local service provider for this area...US Cellular...could only purchases Androids. There was some issues with my billing and when I called to rectify it, that was when I mentioned about my internet service being lame out here as well. The Rep offered me their special on Unlimited Data service for the phone and told me that there are Apps that I could use so I could download that would make my phone a HotSpot, and I could link my computer to my phone and use it for my biz. The second time I call that Rep told me that there are 3rd party Apps that don't "piggy back" on their services that I could use but he didn't know of any to offer me. Android is completely new to me I've only used Iphones before and this tethering is also new to me...prior to moving though my internet service wasn't spectacular it was better then this so I've never looked into making my phone a HotSpot before. All this tethering is so beyond my knowledge so it's very confusing to me. It's been a frustrating journey to figure all this out.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What does "Throttled" mean?

Throttled means once you surpass a set amount of data usage they slow your data speeds down for a set period of time. Not saying it's true in your case but an example could be you have super fast speeds for the first 5GB but then everything after that is cut to half speed, or slower, for the rest of the billing period that month.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

Last edited:

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2

for instance, they give you 4 gigs at full speed then limit you to 5mbs there after until your billing cycle ends
there are other variances but that is the basic concept.

edit, too slow again lol

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

Throttling or metering is a also process whereby the cellular towers monitor the rate and volume of data you are using at any one time, against what the average users are using on that tower, and also against the total demand on the tower versus what it's limits are. If you are an excessive data user on a tower that is being heavily taxed, the tower can and will reduce your throughput rate, sort of like taking your foot off the gas pedal (hence throttling), and so if you were getting 12Mbs, it might reduce you to 3Mbs, so that the other users on the tower have access to a larger portion of the pipe of data. This is a way for the tower to keep the traffic flowing and not allow you to create a bottleneck or deny service by way of sucking up all the data stream "unfairly".