tethering cost??

christinaa

Reaction score
I called verizon and they said they aren't associated with that!? So basically I just want to know if I'm going to get charged to use my 3g mobile hotspot.

Khyren

Reaction score
Well, if you check your plan, or the online plan... It should tell you that it's a $20 cost and that you are limited to 2GB of data through it. I read that fine print when getting mine and have never pushed the button to turn it on.

Dustin.

Reaction score
Yes, it's 20$ for 2GB..

If your interested in rooting your D2 you can always download "WiFi Tether" or "Barnacle WiFi Tether" from the market and tether for free.

If your not interested in rooting, then you'll just have to pay the 20$ a month.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
you can download Easytether or PDAnet and wired tether for free for a trial, or limited version, or you can get z4root (free)....root with one button, with the ability to unroot whenever, download wireless tether (free) and you're set. No limits or extra charges from Verizon

SerenityNetworks

Reaction score
If your not interested in rooting, then you'll just have to pay the 20$ a month.
Well, not quite. PDAnet works quite well without rooting. You can try it, to assure it meets your needs, before you buy it. Then the one time cost is the same as a month with VZN. It doesn't set your phone up as a hot spot, but it does let you tether a single PC (at a time) without any problems.

I only need to tether one every great while, so there is no way I'm going to pay $20 per month. But I will pay it once and then have it available when I need it.

Regards,
Andrew

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

MrKleen

Reaction score
Well, not quite. PDAnet works quite well without rooting. You can try it, to assure it meets your needs, before you buy it. Then the one time cost is the same as a month with VZN. It doesn't set your phone up as a hot spot, but it does let you tether a single PC (at a time) without any problems.

I only need to tether one every great while, so there is no way I'm going to pay $20 per month. But I will pay it once and then have it available when I need it.

Regards,
Andrew

Why not root and tether for free? It works very well.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score

Regards,
Andrew

Why not root and tether for free? It works very well.
exactly....

you can download Easytether or PDAnet and wired tether for free for a trial, or limited version, or you can get z4root (free)....root with one button, with the ability to unroot whenever, download wireless tether (free) and you're set. No limits or extra charges from Verizon

SerenityNetworks

Reaction score
:) mcatdtDroid's more concise post beat mine to the thread.

But as to why I haven't rooted my phone (yet), it's because I've not had the need, so why take the risk. For me, there is nothing I need or want that I can't accomplish without rooting. So why void my warranty?

MrKleen

Reaction score
:) mcatdtDroid's more concise post beat mine to the thread.

But as to why I haven't rooted my phone (yet), it's because I've not had the need, so why take the risk. For me, there is nothing I need or want that I can't accomplish without rooting. So why void my warranty?

I fully understand, and you are correct. Rooting is not a must...

That said, rooting is very easy and there is little to no risk whatsoever. If the software gets messed up for some reason it is easily restored. Also as far as the warranty goes you can simply un-root your phone and there would be no trace that it was ever rooted. So your warranty would not be affected.

Even though there is no risk, some people have no desire to root and could care less.... and there is nothing wrong with that.

OP
C

christinaa

Reaction score
Thanks for the help :) I tethered using pda net and it worked just fine as far as my warranty I do have some other issues with my phone so I'm hoping once I uninstall pda net it won't be traceable.....