Tethering Apps being pulled from market!?!?

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by Talon8Ya, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Talon8Ya

Talon8Ya Member

Ratings:
    +1
    In my search's for apps lastnight I found that alot of the tethering apps are being pulled from the market.

I did DL Easy Tether Lite to try it out and by the way it works great. This might be the first app I buy so far all others I have are free.
    Well in my search I found an app that was a petition to keep the tethering apps from being pulled.
    It is called Keep Android Open Petition.

From the info there it seems that T-Mobil and other carriers have been pushing to have certain apps like tethering taken off the market.

Has anyone else seen this?? Thought??

My thoughts are as follows on the tethering issue.

When I had my MotoQ I had to pay a rediculas amount of money each month to tether on top of my data fees and standard fees. I understand verizon's reasoning and really do not have a problem with it even thought it is wicked expensive.

That being said I really only needed to tether every now and then from my new house in the woods where there is no broadband and even dial up barely works to get a couple work things done. It was disturbing to see that google who supposedly has this great open market unlike the closed crapple market suddenly blocking apps.

I really love the fact that android is so open and the development is open to all. I really do not want to see it go the way of crapple.

My 2 cents.

P.S. anyone have any recommendations on tethering apps for me to try before I make my decision on which to purchase??
    I did not like the lag in PdaNet and so far I really dig Easy Tether but any other suggestions would be welcome.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  2. chomorro

chomorro Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You got me all excited to try easy tether, but there is no mac support? Guess i have to stick to pdanet for now since im not rooted.

3. Sal

Sal Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I ddn't even realize you could tether if you weren't rooted. Which apps even do that and how complicated would they be for someone who doesn't like to do much fiddling?

4. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I can only suggest PDAnet as thats all I use. No lag ever.

5. Mowalker1

Mowalker1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh NOOO!

That was the main reason for buying the Droid, we RV and camp (when we can) and needed something to hook up to the netbook. Sometimes we are not in an area where there are coffee shops and WiFi in the vicinity.

I would use the tether for a larger screen and some bill paying. Maybe some internet surfing.

That totally stinks and I will sign the petition

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  6. Talon8Ya

Talon8Ya Member

Ratings:
    +1
    It works great on the PC. I hope they make a mac version soon. It is way faster than PdaNet for me.

7. Talon8Ya

Talon8Ya Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Well both PdaNet and Easy Tether work well. For me Easy Tether worked the best and fastest. It is also cheaper than PdaNet.

Very simple to setup. Just DL the app and on your PC go to the Easy Tether website and DL the desktop file. A quick install and away you go.
    Just plug in your droid to the system, mount it, run Easy Tether and the USB Debug mode (easy tether pops up the box for you so no hunting for it) and click the icon in your tray on your pc and you are online.
    The free version starts out full speed, the full version only $9.95 I think stays at full speed forever with lifetime upgrades.

So far I am really impressed.

On top of it all the 3G speed is better than most DSL in this area. Fast and stable. Very impressed with my Droid.

8. Talon8Ya

Talon8Ya Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I did not get any lag on PdaNet but it was noticeably slower than easy tether. I have been going back and forth with them since yesterday just to gauge speed and no matter where I was easy tether was quicker.

I even watched a couple movies on my laptop and was impressed over all with the 3G speed regardless which I used. Both are fast don't get me wrong.

9. Talon8Ya

Talon8Ya Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Both Easy Tether and PdaNet work great for just what you want and do not require root. If you get a connection where you are on your Droid you can connect.

That being said up until a week or two ago there were many more tethering apps in the store. I still cannot believe they are getting pulled.
    I signed the petition yesterday.

Have fun.

10. jsh1120

jsh1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Unwad your panties. :) Although any tethering violates your service agreement with VZW, you are unlikely to be in trouble with Verizon if you use your Droid occasionally as a 3G modem. Even less so now that Verizon has announced a $0 charge for tethering the Palm Pre Plus.

All carriers face a dilemma in terms of how to manage 3G network demand in the face of the explosion in devices that access the internet. On one hand the sale of millions of devices capable of serving as broadband modems adds to potential bandwidth contention. On the other, competitive pressures prevent carriers from adopting a hard line with regard to tethering.

11. Talon8Ya

Talon8Ya Member

Ratings:
    +1

Good points.
    I did just see that for the palm when my wife was looking for a new phone this past week.
    I tried to get her to get a droid and even though she likes it she just did not want one. Too much for her. She ended up with and Env Touch. Nice phone but not a Droid.

12. Talon8Ya

Talon8Ya Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I was just checking for tethering app's again and in the market it is down to about 4 options for it when there used to be about 10 to 12.

This is with 2.1 OTA installed now as well.
    It was the same with 2.0.1 before that.

13. Andornardo

Andornardo New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I hope they make a tethering app that allows your droid to be a modem so that you can use your ipad or any device with wifi capabilities to be able to use the droid's internet capabilities. i actually dont really know if what i wrote is correct, grammatically.

14. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +340
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 4
    Do you mean teathering over WiFi? You can do that now with a rooted Droid. You can tether anything with WiFi capabilities.

15. Mowalker1

Mowalker1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0

Thanks for the info - I have unwadded my "panties" and untied my USB cord:) I will still be keeping an eye on this subject