Tethered to my laptop using pdanet...overage on shared minutes?!!!...

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
agreed... "I can't wait til they charge you" comments are nothing more than sour grapes

pyro6128

Reaction score
I dont think its so much "I hope they charge you", but more like "don't be shocked when you get charged for engaging in an act that you already knew was not allowed as per your contract". Most of us tether, but we know the risk involved. It sucks to get a speeding ticket, but hey, you were speeding, its your fault.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
I dont think its so much "I hope they charge you", but more like "don't be shocked when you get charged for engaging in an act that you already knew was not allowed as per your contract". Most of us tether, but we know the risk involved. It sucks to get a speeding ticket, but hey, you were speeding, its your fault.

maybe most, but not this one....

Personally I've been waiting for them to start nailing people who are tethering and will be glad when they start billing/fining people... especially people that do it excessively, and yes 20+ hrs would qualify.

he just likens me using PDANet to getting his lunch money stolen in primary school

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's MO. Tether all you want and justify it however you want but many carriers specifically disallow it in their TOS. Be aware of the potential risks. VZW might not be cracking down but I know at&t has in the past.

DroidJT

Reaction score
Request more information or a Re-Rate if necessary

I have am unlimited data plan with Verizon and used pdanet on my road trip. We had it on most of the ride...close to 20 hours. I got a text from some 9000 number saying i would get a bill in December! I checked my phone usage and it is saying that I have an allowable 450 shared minutes and I've used 6500!!!! Anyone ever heard of them charging data to minutes?

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

Short answer - best solution: Have the Verizon Account Authorized Point of Contact from your company (if that is not you) call Verizon Wireless and request more information. Its possible your account went over the shared pool of minutes on another person's line of service for the actual shared Minutes Used for that month and not Data and this could be a big misunderstanding on your part. If it was just a minutes overage, you can request a re-rate for that month's usage and ask Verizon Wireless to retroactively increase your 450 shared minutes to a 6000 shared minutes (or whatever they suggest to cover that month) for an increase difference of $150 or so and that's your overage cost. If it's data usage that somehow came from your tethering in the form of billed "Minute of Use" data (a old way data was billed before the newer plans in use today) ask Verizon to correct the mistake and bill you for the unlimited data that all new smartphone data plans are on. Problem solved.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Not hardly. First: there is no 6,000 minute plan. There's only 700, 1,400, 2,000, and unlimited...unless its a business or other "specialty" plan. Second: the OP is already on unlimited data, required on smartphones until 10/28.

I have am unlimited data plan with Verizon and used pdanet on my road trip. We had it on most of the ride...close to 20 hours. I got a text from some 9000 number saying i would get a bill in December! I checked my phone usage and it is saying that I have an allowable 450 shared minutes and I've used 6500!!!! Anyone ever heard of them charging data to minutes?

Short answer - best solution: Have the Verizon Account Authorized Point of Contact from your company (if that is not you) call Verizon Wireless and request more information. Its possible your account went over the shared pool of minutes on another person's line of service for the actual shared Minutes Used for that month and not Data and this could be a big misunderstanding on your part. If it was just a minutes overage, you can request a re-rate for that month's usage and ask Verizon Wireless to retroactively increase your 450 shared minutes to a 6000 shared minutes (or whatever they suggest to cover that month) for an increase difference of $150 or so and that's your overage cost. If it's data usage that somehow came from your tethering in the form of billed "Minute of Use" data (a old way data was billed before the newer plans in use today) ask Verizon to correct the mistake and bill you for the unlimited data that all new smartphone data plans are on. Problem solved.

DroidForums junkie!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Tethering would go to data and not voice. If they're saying its a voice overage, you may have been cloned. Do you have My Verizon??

DroidForums junkie!

DroidJT

Reaction score
Not hardly. First: there is no 6,000 minute plan. There's only 700, 1,400, 2,000, and unlimited...unless its a business or other "specialty" plan. Second: the OP is already on unlimited data, required on smartphones until 10/28.

Um, yeah there are. Nationwide Business Share. He said "450 share". If they are a business with an old OAA, they could have grandfathered plans they could use but VZW would probably only go with Nationwide Biz share for a rerate. Nationwide Email for Business Plans Study up! :)

Last edited:

ConqSoft

Reaction score
Not really sour grapes, but they're the ones who are using more bandwidth, thereby degrading the service of everyone else, without having the tethering plan and paying the extra money to cover Verizon's cost to upgrade their infrastructure to handle said bandwidth.

Jakeworld

Reaction score

Um, yeah there are. Nationwide Business Share. He said "450 share". If they are a business with an old OAA, they could have grandfathered plans they could use but VZW would probably only go with Nationwide Biz share for a rerate. Nationwide Email for Business Plans Study up!

WTB: Reading comprehension skills.
You may want to work on your reading comprehension :). Re-read the post you initially responded to if you don't follow (Hint: see post below).

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Last edited:

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
And I said, "unless its a business". Maybe its YOU who needs to study!

Um, yeah there are. Nationwide Business Share. He said "450 share". If they are a business with an old OAA, they could have grandfathered plans they could use but VZW would probably only go with Nationwide Biz share for a rerate. Nationwide Email for Business Plans Study up!

DroidForums junkie!

DroidJT

Reaction score

Maybe I should have put a smiley face (edited post) so you understood I wasn't hacking on you. :) I saw your "business plan" remark and when reading his responses he said "450 share" and it was a "company phone". It's an assumption I made but even if it is not business plans he is still welcome to request a re-rate for whatever plans they will make available for it. Also, if (and I have seen this before) he was stuck on some old plan or the roaming partner was using Minutes of Use, then my advice is sound. Trust me. All I know is that he has a problem, I was suggesting a solution. But you're right, the newest consumer plans are what you said they are.

DroidJT

Reaction score
WTB: Reading comprehension skills.
You may want to work on your reading comprehension :). Re-read the post you initially responded to if you don't follow (Hint: see post below).

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

I com-prend-e, amigo. :) I think Slickstream's talking business share from his posts.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
No worries! :)

Maybe I should have put a smiley face (edited post) so you understood I wasn't hacking on you. :) I saw your "business plan" remark and when reading his responses he said "450 share" and it was a "company phone". It's an assumption I made but even if it is not business plans he is still welcome to request a re-rate for whatever plans they will make available for it. Also, if (and I have seen this before) he was stuck on some old plan or the roaming partner was using Minutes of Use, then my advice is sound. Trust me. All I know is that he has a problem, I was suggesting a solution. But you're right, the newest consumer plans are what you said they are.

DroidForums junkie!