Tethered Droid to Laptop, Remote Desktop on Laptop To another computer HELP

billyNOTnice

Reaction score
Ok I have tethered my DROID to my Laptop using PDAnet. Now being connected. I need to know how to set up a remote desktop on my Laptop to connect to another computer. I have been using Ultra VNC Server, but I don't know what settings I need to Change in the droid to unlock port 5900 to be able to connect the Remote Desktop.... THanks for any help.

Zynix

Reaction score
It may not be possible. I had similar problems with my Q9c & pdaNet trying to use vnc single-click. It seems the port-forwarding capabilities of pdaNet weren't up to snuff; ran into the same problems with stand-alone IM software too.

I read somewhere about installing ufw (unix firewall) on a rooted droid, which may give better port-forwarding capabilities, but I can't seem to find that link now. If I run across it again or come up with any other solutions I'll come back and post it.

Good luck,

Leonard Wong

Reaction score
IIRC, you don't need to port forward 5900 on the client end to connect to a vnc server. If you have port 5900 open on the server end, that's all you need.

Actually, if you read more into VNC, all you need is a port open on either the client of the server. VNC supports reversing the connection where it turns the client into a listening agent on port 5900 so that a server can connect to it from behind a firewall.

Zynix

Reaction score
The problem I ran into was that port 5900 wasn't being forwarded properly by the phone, didn't matter which was host or client.

Looking at azilink (another android tethering program), they use the adb command 'forward' as part of their setup. If you have adb installed on the host you could try the same command for port 5900 and see if it helps. Or see if you can use azilink instead of pdanet to get it to work.

Good luck,