Tether your Eris thread (2.4mbps conncetion)

teleburst

Reaction score
I have successfully tethered my Eris using PDAnet for 2.4mb/s connection. Works great and its fast.

Got speedtest.net score of 1.38mb/s down and .76mb/s up. Pretty decent for my area (NYC)

Please dont post about Verizons terms and conditions. They dont care if you tether as long as you dont go crazy and download like 10gb/month. Yes I used to work for Verizon in the NRB (Network Repair bureau).

Is this riding an available wi-fi signal?

My experience with tethering in the past resulted in 3G speeds between 400 - 800mb/s down (ATT). I think the best I was able to accomplish was a tick over 800 but that was rare. It was usually in the 600 - 700 range.

I'm considering replacing my high speed DSL with a tethered connection and a figure close to what you mention would probably tip the scales in favor. Tethering wasn't horrible at ~700 but I've gotten used to DSL <g>.

nothing0

Reaction score
I just ran a speed test using wifi. 1.15M down and .6 up. Thats about average. The highest I ever got was 2.2 Down but that was only one time.

Reaction score
My experience with tethering in the past resulted in 3G speeds between 400 - 800mb/s down (ATT). I think the best I was able to accomplish was a tick over 800 but that was rare. It was usually in the 600 - 700 range.

I'm considering replacing my high speed DSL with a tethered connection and a figure close to what you mention would probably tip the scales in favor. Tethering wasn't horrible at ~700 but I've gotten used to DSL <g>.
We travel full time, so I have experience with Verizon "Broadband" data speeds all over the country (mostly west of the Rockies). The most common download speeds I see are around 600-800 kbps, but 1.5 Mbps is not unusual. At our current location on the sparsely populated Oregon coast, I just got a result of 1.99 Mbps down and 775 kbps up. That is pretty typical for this particular location.

I have been in many locations, though, with speeds no better than 200-300 kbps. Those have tended to be at the edges of the coverage areas that you see in the Coverage Locator - Verizon Wireless map.

Ppbb

Reaction score
Anyone using an Eris on Verizon and successful wifi tethering with an iPad?

Verizon has a pretty attractive deal on the Eris and it will do all that I want in a phone. If I can get it to wifi tether with my iPad I'll be a happy camper.

Any comments about the download speeds appreciated.

rejet

Reaction score
I just tried to find pda net on the market and it was not there. so I tried easy tether. so far it works great and its only $9.99. do you think this is ok or is pda net better? Also is verizon going to charge me the twenty dollor tether charge or are we pulling a fast one on the big guy?

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just tried to find pda net on the market and it was not there. so I tried easy tether. so far it works great and its only $9.99. do you think this is ok or is pda net better? Also is verizon going to charge me the twenty dollor tether charge or are we pulling a fast one on the big guy?

It is pdanet, no space.

Not sure about easy tether, as I use pdanet for non-https tethering. easy tether is cheaper though if you do want https tethering.

No, Verizon has no additional tethering charge. They just don't allow it. As long as you don't make it your primary ISP, and end up over 10GB downloads per month they probably won't have a problem. If your usage goes way high that would be a red flag.

I only tether when I have no access to another ISP. My favorite thing is to be tethered while driving on a trip!

crazy650

Reaction score
im thinking about getting this phone through verizon and tethering is a very attractive feature for me since i cant afford internet at my house. with verizons plan, do you have to pay the 1.99/per meg when you tether, unless you have the "unlimited" plan thats like 99 bucks?

you dont tell them your tethering they well then charge you 30 a mouth to do so with PDAnet download that at app install it then plug your phone in usb t computer and go throw steps it easy just do what your phone says

emobuddy21

Reaction score
How to tether your droid eris to your computer.

I know how to teather your phone to your laptop and its very easy even me a 15 year old can do it. All you have to do is download easytether from the droid app market. Once its done downloading all you have to do is open up the app and it should walk you through everything you have to do its very simple. I must let you know it involves downloading some software from a site but dont worry its safe.

If you own an older laptop that dosnt recieve wifi communications but you have a wifi router and want wireless internet this works because the droid eris:droideris: as you should know recieves wifi communications and it will use that to give your laptop internet while tethered to it. Hope this helps:droideris:

GahhItsLee

Reaction score
I have successfully tethered my Eris using PDAnet for 2.4mb/s connection. Works great and its fast.

Got speedtest.net score of 1.38mb/s down and .76mb/s up. Pretty decent for my area (NYC)

Please dont post about Verizons terms and conditions. They dont care if you tether as long as you dont go crazy and download like 10gb/month. Yes I used to work for Verizon in the NRB (Network Repair bureau).

I read on here once about someone tethering 150 gigs in a month without any kind of problems

JLM

Reaction score
Access Point tether?

Does anyone know of an access point (AP) tether, i.e. NON ad-hoc, for the Eris? I saw a post on XDA-Developers about one for the Incredible, but I haven't seen one for the Eris...and I can't ask on XDA because I can't post threads there yet.

I ask because my Kindle won't accept ad-hoc tethering.

Thanks.

buschbarber

Reaction score
Does anyone know of an access point (AP) tether, i.e. NON ad-hoc, for the Eris? I saw a post on XDA-Developers about one for the Incredible, but I haven't seen one for the Eris...and I can't ask on XDA because I can't post threads there yet.

Thanks.
I am using the Thunderbolt, now, but my last phone was an Eris. I followed the instructions to Root my Eris and then downloaded Wireless Tether from the Market. It worked fine.

I have friends who have done the same thing with the HTC Hero and the Evo 4G.

JLM

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply, buschbarber.

My current tether works just fine for my laptop, but it's an ad-hoc tether, which the Kindle won't access. I'm using Wireless Tether 2.0.2 from the Market.

When I try to access it from the Kindle, the message I receive is:

Unsupported Wi-Fi network

Enterprise or peer-to-peer Wi-Fi networks are not supported. Try connecting to another network.

It works just fine on my home wireless network, just not on the tether.

buschbarber

Reaction score
Eris and Wireless Tether

I have been using the Wireless Tether on my Eris, and my iPod Touch, since last fall. I am not sure why the Kindle will not recognize it. Perhaps tech support for the Kindle can answer that.

My friend uses Wireless Tether on his Hero for his Laptop, iPod, and iPad, at lunch, every day.

Reaction score
B & N Nook, too

Thanks.
My Nook has the same limitation.