Tether with a D4

snowman

Reaction score
I never remember any one mention this I just tried it and works well in process of moving no internet and tried tether , never worked on old D-1
but works well on D4 why is it not talked about

I just pluged my phone into the computer with the mini-usb cord from the charger went to settings and turned on
tether, and the comutter uses the 4G VERY well and cruizes the net probably better then my wirless connection at home
no app needed the computer runs Win 7 and reconized the phone as a internet connection ---works well for me
you have to plug in the phone to computer before this option is available

Mark_Silet

Reaction score
It works?

I have been looking to upgrade from the original droid, but I have been unwilling thus far to pay for the ability to hotspot to the phone.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I never remember any one mention this I just tried it and works well in process of moving no internet and tried tether , never worked on old D-1
but works well on D4 why is it not talked about

I just pluged my phone into the computer with the mini-usb cord from the charger went to settings and turned on
tether, and the comutter uses the 4G VERY well and cruizes the net probably better then my wirless connection at home
no app needed the computer runs Win 7 and reconized the phone as a internet connection ---works well for me
you have to plug in the phone to computer before this option is available

Yes most 4G verizon phones allow a wired tether with out a plan. I used this frequently when I had my Bionic.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

OP
snowman

snowman

Reaction score
let me ask this , understand I have the old unlmited data plan still
but why would you buy a plan and pay extra for what the phone does already (hotspot)
is it just because some do not have unlimited data?

OP
snowman

snowman

Reaction score
I have been looking to upgrade from the original droid, but I have been unwilling thus far to pay for the ability to hotspot to the phone.

I'm not paying any extra

droidbound

Reaction score
Tether and hotspot are two different things. With the tether you use the D4 like a modem. Hotspot allows x devices to use your phone like a wireless router.

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

dtalitho

Reaction score
When I tried to get online on my Droid tablet with my DG2, I went to HotSpot to do it and was told it required a seperate data plan. I just ordered the D4. I think I am reading here that if I tether the D4 to my tablet, I will have internet, w/o addl data plan? Am I correct?

Erikbal

Reaction score
Basically if I understand right, what they are saying is if you turn on the tether mode on your phone and plug it into a computer using the usb cable that's part of your charger the computer will detect the phone as a modem. Now in order to run it on a tablet I think you'd have to do it wirelessly and connect to it like wifi and if that's the case it'd be using it as a mobil hotspot and for that you need a package.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
snowman

snowman

Reaction score
Erikbal
user-offline.png
yes thats correct, but you have to plug the cable in before the option is available to turn on tether
it will be grayed out unless it is plugged in then turn it on , let us know how it works for you.
also hope you have the old unlimited data plan or it may eat up a lot of data on your package, snowman

dtalitho

Reaction score
OK, now I see the catch. It must be pluged into the computer to work. I did not read it carefully. When I am at home, I have wifi, why would that be beneficial? Perhaps when I am at work, where there is a computer but no wifi that works.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
does foxfi work for wireless ?

podspi

Reaction score
does foxfi work for wireless ?

Yes. Although I couldn't tell you how quick they'd be to catch on. It does trigger the stock hotspot notification, but I do not have a plan and could still hop on, so YMMV

galleria2k

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to use the D4 tethering with a netbook running XP? I am having no luck. On my old D2Global, I used Easy Tether & it worked great. AFter my D2 went swimming, I got a D4. On Motorola's website, it looks like the built in tether works only on Vista, Windows 7 & Linux. Is there a workaround or patch for XP? Easy Tether claims there is a USB driver to be downloaded from the Motorola website, but when I click their link, there is nothing there. If anyone has the driver & can post it, I'd be grateful. Thanks.