Tether to TiVo?

BCool83

Reaction score
I've got a Droid X running 2.2. Just began tethering (wired, using PDAnet) to my computer today, since I'm w/o an ISP for a couple weeks at home. Really, it's quite quick enough for what I do online...so the only thing still need the regular internet for is for TiVo updates. Does anyone know of a way to tether a Droid to a TiVo?

harrellj

Reaction score
First, does your Tivo support wireless already or do you have to buy the wireless attachment for it (ours at home has a small separate thing to grab the wireless signals).

After that, in the Tivo settings, there should be a section for networks (including wireless). Just put into that the information from your tethering app (network name aka SSID, network key if set, etc) and you should be good to go. The Tivo might complain at you frequently about lack of connectivity though, since that is what it uses to get your tv listings and messages and such.

OP
BCool83

BCool83

Reaction score
My TiVo does have the ability to connect wirelessly, if I bought a new wireless adapter for it. I was hoping to find a way to connect wired to it, and allow it to check for updates that way.

My phone currently isn't rooted - I'm trying to avoid doing so for as long as possible, if for not other reason than I've never done it before.

harrellj

Reaction score
I doubt you'll be able to tether wired, just because the Tivo is expecting a LAN cable to be plugged into it and I don't think there is a MicroUSB to LAN adapter (and I'd be scared if there was), plus I don't believe an app has been written to allow that to happen.

OP
BCool83

BCool83

Reaction score
I doubt you'll be able to tether wired, just because the Tivo is expecting a LAN cable to be plugged into it and I don't think there is a MicroUSB to LAN adapter (and I'd be scared if there was), plus I don't believe an app has been written to allow that to happen.
There may not be a MicroUSB to LAN, but there is a USB port on the back of the TiVo...and I already have the MicroUSB to USB cable that came with the phone ;)

mercermtn

Reaction score
tivo updating via tether

If you have wireless capability on both your tivo and you computer, and an internet connection (tethered). you need to set up a adhoc network, make sure to enable internet sharing when setting up adhoc network on your computer. There are several ways to do this depending on you OS. If you are using W7, open network sharing center, and then set up a new connection or network, then peer to peer or adhoc. and then connect your tivo (in the setting's/ phone/network area) to your computer. I have use this method on Windows Xp and W7.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
There may not be a MicroUSB to LAN, but there is a USB port on the back of the TiVo...and I already have the MicroUSB to USB cable that came with the phone ;)
That won't do a thing for what you're looking to do.

OP
BCool83

BCool83

Reaction score
I guess I didn't specify in my original post, but I was looking for ways to tether WIRED to the TiVo. I've since given up on that idea, rooted the phone, and just ordered a new wireless adapter for the TiVo. Thanks all.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You can connect your DX to your PC, then share that connection with TiVo by connecting your PC via LAN cable to your TiVo.

You can do a search on Google to find how to share your connection.

OP
BCool83

BCool83

Reaction score
You can connect your DX to your PC, then share that connection with TiVo by connecting your PC via LAN cable to your TiVo.

You can do a search on Google to find how to share your connection.
I've done everything Google said (actually 4 websites' worth of info) and the TiVo won't recognize the shared connection.

Which is wonderfully fitting, since my TiVo wireless adapter is in the mail, and my computer doesn't want to accept the "Internet" part of the wireless connection to my DX anymore (well, no more than 5% of the time). Cool. :icon_evil: