Tether question

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wired tethering is even more secure. Although, there is a debate about when/if Verizon will crack down on unsanctioned tethering as it is against your terms and conditions.

Droids

Reaction score
Yes, WEP is mostly useless, but the Access Control List is perfect. Only those laptops you authorize will be able to tether. I'm one of those IT guys, but were I work we don't believe in locking down desktops. If they infect their machine more than once with a virus, then that machine gets locked down but only that one. I dislike network nazis, and the guy that stated he could lock down your 3g connection... maybe he was just joking, but it's sad how many of them are clueless. I know a few with computer science degrees and/or certifications who have no real world experience and can't seem to get anything right. I especially hate IT peeps that lock desktops and network access, just because they can. But I also see many people waste a good portion of the day updating their FB status, or running multiple IM clients and chatting all the time.

In the future though I wouldn't brag about what you can do to bypass their policies, they may start restricting who can bring a laptop to work, etc.

badazz74

Reaction score
Let me guess websense right, my work is the same way the block almost everything. I was usina a proxy for a long time but they caught on. You can ssh tunnel which I haven't tried, just not worth losing my job.

pylesw

Reaction score
If it's your own phone and laptop, no. But, if it's government property and the IT team has access to install software, then it's possible to install apps designed to lock down Bluetooth, USB and WiFi to prevent tethering. I'm actually surprised they allow you to connect your personal laptop to their network. Most companies don't.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
the only thing you would have to worry about is if the laptop is the govt agency's that you work for.

if it's YOUR laptop - you're set. In fact, I have an 'official work computer' and i don't surf anything except work on it. I'm blocked from most good stuff anyways, but I bring my lappy and tether whenever I want to look something up that may raise an eyebrow. I'm not surfing pron, but I'm just not comfortable with people being able to snoop and see me playing gems or whatever.

For FB and Social stuff, I just surf my phone.

DSkeet

Reaction score
the only thing you would have to worry about is if the laptop is the govt agency's that you work for.

if it's YOUR laptop - you're set. In fact, I have an 'official work computer' and i don't surf anything except work on it. I'm blocked from most good stuff anyways, but I bring my lappy and tether whenever I want to look something up that may raise an eyebrow. I'm not surfing pron, but I'm just not comfortable with people being able to snoop and see me playing gems or whatever.

For FB and Social stuff, I just surf my phone.

Yes it's definately my laptop. I have a govt pc that I use only when I have to to access my gmail or news etc...They monitor those big time. I can't go to any site that may in any way be related to gambling, sports, auctions etc or social sites...If you try to access one you get a BIG DHS logo that pops up on the screen and says that this site has been logged. The IT guys are pretty laid back. They really don't care and I am pretty sure he was joking...After he acted serious I wrote him back and was like "OK ADMIN" LOL...Thanks alot for the help so far!

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
The bigger question is why are you wasting my tax dollars playing on facebook and Ebay.

Because i can :) You think I'm on there all day???

I knew that was coming..... everyone seems to think, just because you are a govt employee, they think it's stealing if you don't spend absolutely every second working.....

don't poop on the clock, or else you are a thief.... :rolleyes:

DSkeet

Reaction score
The bigger question is why are you wasting my tax dollars playing on facebook and Ebay.

Because i can :) You think I'm on there all day???

I knew that was coming..... everyone seems to think, just because you are a govt employee, they think it's stealing if you don't spend absolutely every second working.....

don't poop on the clock, or else you are a thief.... :rolleyes:

Tell me about it dude, jeez...I'm sure everyone that has access checks SOMETHING that's personal at some point in the day. To me personal email and social sites are on the same level. They are both for personal use.

BenB2362

Reaction score
Most people need access to the company's network to do their work. Company network access can be restrictive. For example..while in the company's network you may not be able to get internet access without going through a company proxy server and the proxy server restricts what sites you can use.

Gaining access to the company network by connecting directly to the network at the company office or use of a VPN (Virtual Private Network) when you're connecting through another means (Home Broadband, Starbucks Wifi, Etc.) to get into the company's network allows the IT department to control what you can access. Not to mention being able to track and report on it.

Doesn't matter whether you own the PC or not...once you're in the company network the way you are forced to access it and what restrictions they enforce while you're in the network will dictate what you can do. For example - If you tether at work instead of going directly into the company network you may still need to use company VPN software to get into the company network to do your work so tethering won't solve the "free Willy" access issue ;-)

Forgot to mention that the above is why you gotta love smartphones like the Droid...you can still access Facebook, stock quotes, etc. even when the company locks your work PC down. Won't be long before they pat you down coming through the door ;-)

Last edited:

JCo352

Reaction score
Most people need access to the company's network to do their work. Company network access can be restrictive. For example..while in the company's network you may not be able to get internet access without going through a company proxy server and the proxy server restricts what sites you can use.

Gaining access to the company network by connecting directly to the network at the company office or use of a VPN (Virtual Private Network) when you're connecting through another means (Home Broadband, Starbucks Wifi, Etc.) to get into the company's network allows the IT department to control what you can access. Not to mention being able to track and report on it.

Doesn't matter whether you own the PC or not...once you're in the company network the way you are forced to access it and what restrictions they enforce while you're in the network will dictate what you can do. For example - If you tether at work instead of going directly into the company network you may still need to use company VPN software to get into the company network to do your work so tethering won't solve the "free Willy" access issue ;-)

If it's his own PC and his own internet, from his phone, he can go anywhere on the internet he wants, and no one will see. Unless his boss is standing right behind him.