tether linux with droid and use yum

debejyo

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have tethered my linux with droid. The browser is working successfully. However, I cannot get yum to work. It cannot connect to the internet. What should I do? (I'm using fedora 14 if thats relevant).

PS:

In case you want to know how I succeeded in the tether, here it is:

Start with installing the Proxoid application on your Android phone from the Android Market. On your phone, navigate to Settings - > Application -> Development and enable the USB debugging feature. On your Ubuntu machine, create the 90-android.rules file:

gksudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/90-android.rules

Add the following line to it:

SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0bb4", ATTRS{idProduct} =="0c01", MODE="0666", OWNER="yourname"
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0bb4", ATTRS{idProduct} =="0c02", MODE="0666", OWNER="yourname"
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="22b8", ATTRS{idProduct} =="41db", MODE="0666", OWNER="yourname"

Save the file and quit the text editor. Download and unpack Android SDK (use this version). Connect the phone to the Ubuntu machine via USB and start the Proxoid application. Open the Terminal, navigate to the tools directory in the Android SDK folder and run the following command:

./adb forward tcp:8080 tcp:8080

The proxy server should now be running, but to be able to use it with Firefox, you have to modify the browser's proxy settings. In Firefox, choose Edit -> Preferences and switch to the Advanced -> Network section. Press the Settings button in the Configure how Firefox connects to the Internet group. Select the Manual proxy configuration option, then enter localhost in the HTTP Proxy field and 8080 in the Port field. Press OK to save the settings and close the window. Now you can browse the Web using the created connection.