Tether ipad with Droid X - basic question

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by reddymi, Aug 26, 2010.

1. reddymi

reddymi New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am sorry, I have been reading for several hours and cant find the answer to this simple question:
    - will my hotspot capability of the Droid X be able to be used by my ipad wifi (not 3G) without me rooting or doing other things that I am not capable of doing?

Thanks.

2. 2guys1droid

2guys1droid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    although I posses neither an Ipad (lucky!) or a droid x the wifi tether should be a basic wifi signal acceptable by all wifi enabled devices. If this is the case then your ipad should be able to pick up the signal. Another alternative though would be if you get pdanet you can (read "should be able to") use the bluetooth capabilites in both devices to utilize the 3g service from your droid, to do this you must be able to install the pdanet application on your ipad which I dont know if it's possible to do so

3. lockdownx1x

lockdownx1x Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes. It will work.

4. reddymi

reddymi New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks

Thanks. All the posts related to this say I have to root my droid to do it. no clue what that is. So hopefully it works as it should (and you describe) - it is a wifi hot spot and my ipad can connect to it.

5. gavron

gavron Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If you want the VZW added-fee per month WiFi tether, you don't need root.

If you want free tether, you need to root. Plenty of threads exist on how to do that.

E

6. reddymi

reddymi New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    tethering -

now THAT is what I was missing. So the ipad is not uniquely incapable of tethering - all the rooted solutions for the ipad are just "rooted" to avoid the tethering fee. If I pay the tethering fee, then all laptops, ipads, etc can use the connection without rooting. Let me know if I am still not getting it, but this seems to explain everything. THANKS.

Search tags for this page

tether ipad to motorola x