Tether hack

r314bd

Reaction score
While using Wifi Tether 1.3 (whatever the newest beta version is) I notice the default notification for Tethering or Mobile Hotspot is Active is also turned on even though I have tried both freezing it and completely uninstalling it with Titanium Backup. How can I know for sure that my usage during that time isn't being reported to Verizon as using their mobile hotspot app?
x2. The tethering works but that notification makes me nervous.

reybie

Reaction score
While using Wifi Tether 1.3 (whatever the newest beta version is) I notice the default notification for Tethering or Mobile Hotspot is Active is also turned on even though I have tried both freezing it and completely uninstalling it with Titanium Backup. How can I know for sure that my usage during that time isn't being reported to Verizon as using their mobile hotspot app?

Have you checked with the devs to see if they know? Might be a petty question but it could come with a hefty price tag if vzw do know we're using hotspot.

r314bd

Reaction score
Not a cause for concern. I asked about this over at XDA and got this response:
"That behavior it does is normal. The stock app is just a modified version of the aosp built in tethering mechanism. So when AWT sets the prop that tells the system that tethering is on the stock app gets triggered. Even cm7 on thrill does this."

This quote is from tekahuna (a developer of android wifi tether) on gtalk.
I asked him the same question.
So we're all good :)

Last edited:

quizzard

Reaction score
IIRC, when you are Wifi Tethering, the packets Verizon recieve are labeled as wifi tether packets. When you are tethering VIA USB, the packets are labeled the same way as if you were NOT tethered.

I do believe there is a Radiocomm hack that edits your outgoing packets to mask the fact that you are wifi tethering.

There are many users using the SQLLite hack to wifi tether for free. Most likely, Verizon knows about it, but has yet to act. If you want to be completely safe, pay for the hotspotting.

djstinso

Reaction score
With what everyone is saying I am still not so sure that verizon does not have some sort of built in monitoring in place now on the D4. I think I plan to keep my eye on this thread at least for a month to hear what the people that are trying it right now say about their bill in a month. So for those that are trying it please keep the rest of us updated.

r314bd

Reaction score
With what everyone is saying I am still not so sure that verizon does not have some sort of built in monitoring in place now on the D4.
It's perfectly safe. Verizon will not start charging you for tethering without warning. If you are using a tethering app they can detect, it will redirect you to the Verizon paywall website; they can't detect WiFi Tether 3.1-beta11 or FoxFi otherwise you would get the paywall/warning page.

quizzard

Reaction score
I have been using free wireless tether since September on the Bionic. No slap on the wrist yet.

dopeismarcus

Reaction score
I can report that Wireless Tether Version 3.1 Beta 11 works perfectly on my rooted droid 4. The speeds are incredible, im getting tethering speeds of 18mbps, and i watched a 1080p youtube video with absolutely no lag. im really loving 4g.

EDIT: i strongly suggest only using a wireless tether while plugged in and charging. you will absolutely murder your battery life during tethering

thanks!!!

djstinso

Reaction score
I have been using free wireless tether since September on the Bionic. No slap on the wrist yet.
I appreciate the update. I have been waiting patiently. I had the d1 with wired and wireless tether, and knew that to work. I was just playing the caution card this time for some reason in my mind.

OP
J

jkcsho

Reaction score
I wonder why they locked the d3 (3g) and no lock for the d4 especially since its 4g. I had to use the tether hack on my d3.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

r314bd

Reaction score
If you want to be completely safe, pay for the hotspotting.
FfBNY.jpg

chuckh1958

Reaction score
My bad - I forgot I had a static IP address set on my laptop so DHCP was failing. Changed the DHCP starting IP to 192.168.1.x and it worked.

Where did you find the DHCP settings? I've been looking for it and can't find it. I've checked in both FoxFi and the Andrioid network settings.

reybie

Reaction score
wireless and network settings, wi-fi settings, hit menu, then advanced

galleria2k

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to use the D4 tethering with a netbook running XP? I am having no luck. On my old D2Global, I used Easy Tether & it worked great. AFter my D2 went swimming, I got a D4. On Motorola's website, it looks like the built in tether works only on Vista, Windows 7 & Linux. Is there a workaround or patch for XP? Easy Tether claims there is a USB driver to be downloaded from the Motorola website, but when I click their link, there is nothing there. If anyone has the driver & can post it, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

My D4 is not rooted. I am relatively sure I would brick the phone trying to do that. I am low grade tech savvy. :biggrin: