Tether for my ipad

lennywc

Reaction score
I bought an iPad ,the one without 3G and I really wanted to usE my droid for tethering, well unfortunately I upgraded my droid to 2.1 and that left me no easy way to root my droid. I searched and found a pretty easy way to root my droid . I did it by using the sprecovery method ,there is a video online that shows you what to do. Well eventually I flashed a rom that gave me root access and this rom ,"jrummey" also makes your *droid a wifi hotspot. It is so cool, any wifi capable computer can use my droid to gain Internet access thru verizon 3G. *Thank you verizon. So if anyone needs a 3g wifi *portable hotspot this is the way to go! I did it and I know absolutely nothing about cell phones and computers. So if I can do it so can you.

Here is the website that can show you how. **
**Video: Flashing SPRecovery SBF to Stock 2.1 | Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use my Droid to tether to my Mac Book Pro when traveling. Last month, while driving on I 81 I was able to read the forum while my wife was driving. It is very very nice.
Mike

OP
L

lennywc

Reaction score
You must be jealous. Look, the iPad is just so much fun. It is a pleasure to use , fast and smooth. It complements my droid perfectly. It streams YouTube better than any laptop or pc I have owned. Almost 12 hours of battery life and that is streaming on the internet, wow!
And Netflix , what can I say? Just beautiful smooth streaming no jitter and a beautiful big bright sharp screen. Until you own one or are able to spend some time with one you just won't know how great this iPad device is. I feel sorry that you have a closed mind about these things. Apple made a great device, that's it . (Oh,I am not an apple fanboy , this is my first apple device.)

Mod Edit....Play nice

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
L

lennywc

Reaction score
Mike,
Glad to hear you managed to tether also.
Yes! It is so cool ! I really did not want to buy the 3G iPad because i just did not want another bill from a phone company. I went out on a limb and bought the iPad wifi model thinking I would find a way to tether it , despite what
Jobs said about not be able to tether it. Eat that Steve! Well I did it and am very happy with my decision.
Lenny

c0Ld

Reaction score
I bought an iPad

I found your problem.

Wireless tether should work just fine, Steve Jobs just wanted to make a bit more money when he said that.

Last edited:
M

Matth3w

Yep works great. Don't listen to the iPad haters, none of them even own one to compare it to. Half of them had their parents or some other significant other buy their Droid, they couldn't even buy THAT on their own.

I have a 64GB and my wife's 64GB is shipped and should be here the 27th. I'm a huge PC guy, hate Mac computers, but the iPad is friggin' great, especially if you travel a lot, and like to travel lite.

Either way, I also tether my iPad using the Droid. No need for 30 dollar crappy ATT service when I can do it for free on good 3G coverage with my Droid.

c0Ld

Reaction score
Name five things your ipad can do that the droid cannot already do. The ipad is an over-sized ipod touch that even uses the same firmware / OS -- it took the least innovation out of anything apple has spewed out over the last couple of years. I'm hardly dissing anyone personally for buying it as much as I'm saying how utterly useless the product is, so I don't really see the need for personal insults here. If someone gave me a free ipad it'd go straight to ebay or get destroyed in the most hilarious fashion possible. When you're my financial advisor you can feel free to state my purchasing power, but until then your claims are merely immature.

OP
L

lennywc

Reaction score
This is not really fair to either the droid or the iPad because one is a computer and the other is a cell phone...
Five things hmmmmm
1. Display a movie on a 9.56 x 7.47 inch screen.
2. Run for 11 hours on it's internal battery
3. Synth/ piano apps that play glissandi and have true polyphony
( have not found a droid app that can approach what has been written for the iPad).
4. Directly display .PDF files in the browser.
5. Allow for hours of comfortable browsing or reading without eye strain.

I agree that the iPad is but a large touch. And I think the touch is work of genius , by making it larger they just made it better. This fact did not change the fact that it is a brilliant bit of technology. Oh , it does have a few more bells and whistles than the touch, these things just make it a little better.
The fact that other companies are now rushing to build iPad clones just proves that it is a great device and people love it.

M

Matth3w

Name five things your ipad can do that the droid cannot already do. The ipad is an over-sized ipod touch that even uses the same firmware / OS -- it took the least innovation out of anything apple has spewed out over the last couple of years. I'm hardly dissing anyone personally for buying it as much as I'm saying how utterly useless the product is, so I don't really see the need for personal insults here. If someone gave me a free ipad it'd go straight to ebay or get destroyed in the most hilarious fashion possible. When you're my financial advisor you can feel free to state my purchasing power, but until then your claims are merely immature.
1. Battery lasts forever. Even turning off wifi, religiously trying to conserve power, my Droid barely lasts all day. When I travel I need to carry two extra spare batteries per day to make it through.

2. Surfing on the internet and typing into text boxes doesn't suddenly catapult the browser to the bottom of the webpage.

3. Even overclocked at 1250MHz my Droid operates much less smoothly than my iPad.

4. More, better apps and games on my iPad

5. Movies on a screen that is much bigger

6. Typing on the iPad keyboard is much nicer

7. My iPad doesn't lock up and require a reboot

8. The iPad natively supports Arabic font in the browser...even after rooting and spending days looking for a solution, the Droid doesn't support this...AT ALL. You can get the Arabic characters to display but the letters don't connect like they should, rendering the text almost unreadable.

9. My iPad plays movies, music, photos, PDF documents, you name it. My Droid does all that too, but I wouldn't even CONSIDER watching or listening to music on my Droid because no way my battery would last throughout the day if I did.

10. My iPad plays Flash just as well as the Droid. :)

11. Easy ways to copy, paste, and place the cursor in the middle of text

All that is just off the top of my head.

Right now I use my Droid for three things: basic phone functions like calls and texts. Basic internet functions like searching for a phone number on Google. Tethering to my iPad for internet access.

I've lost about 99% of my interest in the Droid. Honestly, I hated Apple products in the past...but truth be told - if the iPhone works as seamlessly as the iPad...I'll ditch my Droid the day the iPhone comes out.

And I hated Steve Jobs, Apple products, etc for the longest time.

The Droid just doesn't hold a candle whatsoever. Much slower, choppier, buggier, and laggier.

muzhik

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
OnePlus One
Steve Jobs -n- Apple made other companies come out with great products...

so stop hating peeps, if it wasnt' for Apple, we would still be in *_nokia_* age!!!

Last edited:
OP
L

lennywc

Reaction score
Matth3w,
You are right, I agree I also have lost all intrest in my droid since getting my iPad, before the iPad I tried to use the droid for surfing the web and it was an awful experience, Likewise for reading and movie watching.
Now I use my droid only for phone calls and of course as a portable wifi hotspot. The iPad rules. Yes the rdroid is very buggy and the way it reads your fingers is horrible , it jumps all over . It just does not read your fingers like the iPad does, it is just so smooth. And the pinch zoom is so poorly done on the droid , choppy and laggy .
Apple has nothing to worry about concerning this.

nolanandy

Reaction score
1. Battery lasts forever. Even turning off wifi, religiously trying to conserve power, my Droid barely lasts all day. When I travel I need to carry two extra spare batteries per day to make it through.

2. Surfing on the internet and typing into text boxes doesn't suddenly catapult the browser to the bottom of the webpage.

3. Even overclocked at 1250MHz my Droid operates much less smoothly than my iPad.

4. More, better apps and games on my iPad

5. Movies on a screen that is much bigger

6. Typing on the iPad keyboard is much nicer

7. My iPad doesn't lock up and require a reboot

8. The iPad natively supports Arabic font in the browser...even after rooting and spending days looking for a solution, the Droid doesn't support this...AT ALL. You can get the Arabic characters to display but the letters don't connect like they should, rendering the text almost unreadable.

9. My iPad plays movies, music, photos, PDF documents, you name it. My Droid does all that too, but I wouldn't even CONSIDER watching or listening to music on my Droid because no way my battery would last throughout the day if I did.

10. My iPad plays Flash just as well as the Droid. :)

11. Easy ways to copy, paste, and place the cursor in the middle of text

All that is just off the top of my head.

Right now I use my Droid for three things: basic phone functions like calls and texts. Basic internet functions like searching for a phone number on Google. Tethering to my iPad for internet access.

I've lost about 99% of my interest in the Droid. Honestly, I hated Apple products in the past...but truth be told - if the iPhone works as seamlessly as the iPad...I'll ditch my Droid the day the iPhone comes out.

The Droid just doesn't hold a candle whatsoever. Much slower, choppier, buggier, and laggier.

wow, I can't believe that this came from a guys with more than 4000 posts. I don't have an iPad yet, maybe after thanksgiving. I feel no need for it at this time, but your post (honestly) might change my mind.

jcardona1

Reaction score

you know its funny, im starting to feel the same. and i still hate apple and dont own any apple products. the fanboys here are so close minded and continue to make excuses for why the droid is so choppy and laggy. im sure there is a good reason, but i dont care what it is. i want something that runs smooth all day everyday. that is why i may be jumping ship.

Audiophile

Reaction score
The iPad would be good if it was actually priced accordingly for what it can (or more like can't) do. It is basically an big Ipod touch and so you are basically paying $300 for 5 more inches of screen space.... is it worth that much? On top of that you can get a netbook that can do a lot more than what the ipad can for much cheaper. But apple overprices their products all the time so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. But if people have the money to spend on this luxury item than more power to them.

But I'm wondering for those of you that have already gotten an iPad or are thinking of getting one even considered or just know of all of the other tablets that are coming out later this year such as the HP slate, Notion Adam Ink, Lenovo U1, Microsoft Courier, ect.? And these other companies have been developing their tablets long before the iPad was announced. I have a feeling that a lot of you iPad lovers will start to realize how limited the iPad is when you see these other devices having basic features like a camera, removable SD memory, built in USB ports, HDMI, Flash, true multitasking, ect.