Testing ROMs.....bored.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by spc_hicks09, May 21, 2011.

1. spc_hicks09

spc_hicks09 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ok so I got bored today and figured I would flash some of the more popular ROMs on here to see which one worked best with my Droid 1. The results may or may not surprise you.

First of all, let me get this out of the way:

Regardless of what rom YOU are are running, this is just my opinion on MY device that way I can put my opinion out there on multiple ROMs in 1 thread.

Simply Stunning 5.2 w/ Stock Kernel:
    Quite a bit of random reboots along with GPS being slightly inaccurate.

MIUI 1.5.13 w/ Stock Kernel:
    Pretty nice build, everything ran ok. Don't like the fact that there's no app drawer and the fact that it's pretty much an iOS clone.

Liquid GB w/ Stock Kernel:
    Laggy after running for a few hours. Very laggy when unlocking the screen. Music "skipped" while playing and when the screen would go dim. After unlocking the screen it took about 5-10 seconds for Wifi or 3G to resume. LOVED the theme choice! Frost Bite was awesome! Very low benchmark scores. Loved the extra options like bootanimation and all that.

Project Elite w/ Stock Kernel:
    Just overall didn't like it. GPS seemed snappy though and very accurate. Horrible battery life.

CM7 (Latest Nightly Build #78) w/ Stock Kernel:
    Almost flawless! The only problem I could even find with this was the fact that the USB Transfer option only works with 3 different kernels. The stock Kernel, Prime's Kernel and Peter Alfonso's Kernels. Other than the USB Transfer issue, this ROM is almost flawless and will definitely be my everyday runner!!

If you actually took the time to read this and think that I did something wrong when flashing the ROM that you like, you're wrong. I know what I'm doing being a dev myself and know how to flash a ROM and how to read instructions. So if you're all butt hurt because I said something bad about your ROM then don't even bother commenting. Again this post was MY opinion about MY device. If you have something constructive to say then by all means comment. If you just want to gripe, go to a different post.
    Last edited: May 21, 2011
  2. kevdog

kevdog New Member

Don't be a hater
  3. b-jammin21

b-jammin21 New Member

Its nice to see that my phone isn't the only one that Liquid lags hard on. Everyone else says it runs perfect for them, and I do like the rom, but it really does lag HARD for me. Especially on screen wake and unlock, answering phone calls, and other things throughout the rom.

I'm running Simply Stunning 5.2 right now, and its perfect for me. The only problems I have with it are that the screen on animation doesn't work, and there's no "God Mode" like there is in UD. Flawless aside from that for me tho.
  4. Chizzele

Chizzele Team Sourcery Developer

I tried most of the Roms on your list and found fairly similar reactions from my device as well..
    One Rom you don't have on there and i think you should try and even be pleasantly surprised is Sourcery Rom.. Tons of features, smooth, stable and fast... and no i'm not the developer of it just a happy user.
  5. b-jammin21

b-jammin21 New Member

I hear a lot of good things about Sourcery. How's the battery life? Is it worth giving up GB to switch to Sourcery?
  6. Natey2

Natey2 Active Member

The most popular (as in widely-used) ROM would be the stock ROM from the Carrier. ;)

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app
  7. Chizzele

Chizzele Team Sourcery Developer

I get 15 hours every day, i unplug it at 7:00am and plug it back around 11pm with 10% - 20% left with moderate use. I am with the Rom since day one and never had any user post an issue about battery life.
  8. jengas kahn

jengas kahn New Member

k. good to know. thnx bai.
  9. spc_hicks09

spc_hicks09 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

I thought about trying Sourcery but it's a froyo build I think. Still might try it though and see how it does. Thanks for the tip!

LOL yeah ok!
  10. swallisa

swallisa New Member

You might want to take a look at the new droidconcepts rom it's FRG83G froyo and it's fast and stable. Woody's building his own settings.apk from scratch so it's a new tweak for settings at every build update.
  11. Droid_3.0

Droid_3.0 New Member

Im loving metiCkOne 2.2.1 froyo with The mash up theme