!TESTING! OEM-Battery Vs. Hong Kong Non-OEM Battery

droid d'oh

Reaction score
I bought 5 of these batteries for under 30...they last about half of what the oem do..I always carry 2 in my wallet Ha.....

With all the exploding batterys, that scares the s*** out of me even if it isn't discharging

Exploding batteries is exactly what I'm scared of. Especially since my droid gets real hot when charging. Still, I ordered a charger and battery combo for 10 bucks. I figure the charger is worth that much.

Careful, I've had problems with my ipod touch with non-oem chargers affecting the screen sensitivity. The voltage is not as regulated and occasionally the device will try to ground itself through your hand. It doesn't hurt but it will hurt the touch screen.

OP
T

trevorx3

Reaction score
My device has never gotten hotter than just a little bit warm except when I tried overclocking to 1.2ghz and running the TV.com app to stream television shows. Even then, it was just a little bit toasty. My laptop gets hot enough to leave burns if left on someone's lap.

Even charging the non-oem battery, it's fine.

NOTE: my device is not rooted now, so that shouldn't affect the test results.

Keep in mind the Droid's chip can withstand temperatures up to 97 degrees Celsius (I think I read this somewhere on this forum... ? can somebody confirm/deny this?)

droid d'oh

Reaction score
My device has never gotten hotter than just a little bit warm except when I tried overclocking to 1.2ghz and running the TV.com app to stream television shows. Even then, it was just a little bit toasty. My laptop gets hot enough to leave burns if left on someone's lap.

Keep in mind the Droid's chip can withstand temperatures up to 97 degrees Celsius (I think I read this somewhere on this forum... ? can somebody confirm/deny this?)

If you look in the user manual the max recommended temperature is 45C. Keep in mind as you approach 100C water spontaneously converts to vapor, which isn't very healthy for your droid's inner parts.

Reaction score

If you look in the user manual the max recommended temperature is 45C. Keep in mind as you approach 100C water spontaneously converts to vapor, which isn't very healthy for your droid's inner parts.

Causes everyone knows the Droid is made of liquid water. Sorry couldn't resist. Why would anyone want to get to 97C, that would be so uncomfortable to hold.

OP
T

trevorx3

Reaction score
While I don't doubt that high temps are bad for any device, your logic is flawed.

You say that water will spontaneously convert into water vapor when approaching temperatures of 100 degrees Celsius. Water doesn't even begin to turn into vapor until 100 degrees Celcius. And for water to "spontaneously" convert to vapor, you'd be talking SUPER HOT.

ViciousCircle

Android Addict
Premium Member
Reaction score

He's talking about the CPU temp, not the battery temp.

deputc26

Reaction score
97deg C is what TI tells the OEMs, 45deg C is what the OEMs tell the consumer. I am interested to see how this test goes. And by the way, the shorter it lasts the less likely it is to combust (generally).

ldimick

Reaction score
I received my two HK batteries yesterday. I ran one down and recharged it and ran it down again. They are no where near as good as the factory OEM battery. They are labeled EXACTLY the same as the factory battery but they have no where near the life. I would say that they have 40-55% of the life. But for the price they are OK.

The charger is a bit scary. It uses pins that slide so that it can make contact with any other cell battery. No instructions so I am still trying to figure out the pin alignment. I see the + and - on the battery but still trying to sort it out. I guess I will break out the multimeter tonight.

If you are buying this package for the charger - save your money and get a real charger.

If you are buying this for the batteries save your money and buy a REAL battery.

I will cycle these a few more times and post any updates but I don't have a lot of hope for improvement.

joker402

Reaction score
im more interested in seeing if the droids batter indicator matches to the power left.

id be freaking hilarious if the hong kong batter gave a real read out unlike the sedio

bty id wish they fix that

ldimick

Reaction score
im more interested in seeing if the droids batter indicator matches to the power left.

id be freaking hilarious if the hong kong batter gave a real read out unlike the sedio

bty id wish they fix that

Hi, i purchased the Seidio extended life battery, which i have had some problems with (does not appear to be correctly reading on the Milestone)

I asked a question in another forum and received a response from SeidioSeidio, but i am not sure if he really works for Seidio or not, here is what he said:-

"Hello,

Thank you for your comment! We wanted to see if we could clarify a few things for you:

1. Motorola Droid is not able to read the battery meter correctly because of Motorola's programming limitation. The firmware was wrote to not accept higher capacity batteries than the OEM ones. Therefore, when you have our 2600mAh, you may get some incorrect readings.

2. Based on the above, please note that we recommend you charging it full by leaving it on the chargers for more than 8 hours, or overnight.

3. Some people have had luck with the free Widget "Battery Left" on the Marketplace and teaching it to "learn" about the high capacity batteries. We are not affiliated with Battery Left and its developers, so please use the app at your own discretion.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Regards, __________________
SEIDIO"

joker402

Reaction score
and so that comes down to software and if thats the case i hope someone is working on a fix for that.

bloodstains

Reaction score
Dang, I just got one of these Hong Kong batteries that's shipping to me now. I'm going to SXSW next week and figured i'd be on my phone constantly, using the maps/finding out where shows are/texting everyone i know to see where people are at. Hope it works better than you guys are saying.