Test Model for Nexus 3 by HTC?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
They couldnt care less about that other stuff. Why do you think they sell so many iphones. Theyve been told theyre easy to use, they they look good and the nave a nice display.

And what is their share now? 20-25%? That hardly indicates the majority of users don't care about specs (which also don't necessarily translate to a better device). But until about 6 months ago or so, the IPhone wasn't really behind spec-wise which weakens the argument further still. Buying an IPhone certainly doesn't imply the user doesn't care about or is ignorant to the specs, no different than buying a mid-tier PC means I don't care or know about specs.

If specs didn't matter, they wouldn't waste the print on specs or distract from the message - marketing 101 if it's not a selling point it doesn't belong in sales displays or advertisements. Consumers DO pay attention to specs - it's everywhere on just about any electronics we purchase. Several hundred bucks is not a trivial expenditure for most, and if they don't care about specs they usually get advice from someone tech savvy WHO DOES care about specs.

loki993

Reaction score
Android now has a third of the US market (33%). RIM's share has plummeted to 29%. Apple is holding at 25%.

Read more: Android Is Destroying Everyone, Especially RIM -- iPhone Dead In Water

Just a quick search, yeah apples getting beat, but not by much. That was just an example, I wasnt touting apple or anything. Thing is the android phones are becoming more accessible. Say what you want but I still cant walk into a store without seeing an entire wall of iphone acessories right next to a 4 foot section for the driod phones. So they must be doing something right. Thats a bit of an exageration yes, but you get the point. Theyre are far more acessoroes out for the iphone then any driod phone. There are that many becasue their is a lot of them out there.

When I said people don't care about specs I guess I would have said people don't care about the same specs we care about.

We care about the speed of the processor, how much ram the phone has things like that, screen resolution, benchmark scores. You ask the average user and they will most likely say the things I said. easy to use, nice display, nice camera, lots of storage space.

If they do do care about the other things its only because they're told to do so, they don't really know anything about them. All they would know is one is better then the other, why it is they don't really care.

Ask your average person off the street what speed the processor is in their phone, I bet maybe 1 in 10 will know. Ask them how much memory it has and they will probably tell you how much storage it has.

Its just like cars. Ask your average person how much HP their car has, the vast majority will have no idea, more then you would think wont even be able to tell you how many cylinders it has. Now ask that same person how many cupholders it has and they will probably be able to answer that.

Its just the average person cares about different things then someone that would be considered an enthusiast or techie.

loki993

Reaction score
And yes I realize that I picked an article that said andriod was destroying apple, but still a quarter of the market isnt half bad. I wouldnt consider 33 to 25 percent destorying, but then again this is a market where 33 percent is damn good too.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
When I said people don't care about specs I guess I would have said people don't care about the same specs we care about.

What you should have said is people care about specs, but that's not all they care about. And I've never said anything to the contrary. And placing a higher value on other things doesn't mean they don't value specs, and quite honestly there's not a big difference in specs among the high-end phones - one is dual core, another has more ram, one has a better camera, another is LTE, etc...

I think the premium devices overall dominate the market, vs. the value handsets in the low/mid tier. And that's an indication that specs do matter, you can argue capability but that's driven by superior specs.

Not to ignore the impact of more marketing on premium devices, but the mid-tier and lower-end devices are still perfectly capable and if specs didn't matter the cheaper phones would sell far better.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
And yes I realize that I picked an article that said andriod was destroying apple, but still a quarter of the market isnt half bad. I wouldnt consider 33 to 25 percent destorying, but then again this is a market where 33 percent is damn good too.

Current market share. If you look at new smartphone users. Android is outselling the IPhone about 2 to 1. And I don't know if yours is a global number, but in the US 50%, give or take, of Q1 smartphone sales were Android.
NPD: Verizon iPhone stops the Android marketshare march | 9 to 5 Mac
Android Market Share Growth Accelerating, Nielsen Finds | PCWorld

And, again, only the recent Android phones are really superior spec-wise to the IPhone - like I said a few have faster processors, a few are LTE, a few have more ram but there's no across-the-board slam dunk.

Trenton

Reaction score
Am i the only one that believes they've seen this phone before? Maybe the buttonless prototype for the iPhone? It looks unusually familiar to me.

It's the "rumored" incredible 2 we seen months ago. Someone thinks they are slick...

Sent from my Nexus S using DroidForums

squeak

Reaction score
Nexus 3 Photo Was A Fake

As the post above this says, it was just a fake. My question is if people gave found a gingerbread like interface in honeycomb does it have virtual buttons? I've watched the video with proof that its there( MobileBurn: Android Honeycomb tablets have a hidden Gingerbread smartphone UI ), but all the gnuy opens is the app drawer. I would like to see the browser and other apps running and see if there are any virtual buttons, if they are present I would guess we'll be seeing a buttonless nexus 3 and if they aren't there I would guess we can expect it to have the usual hardware buttons