Test Menu > Set GSM/UMTS Band Problem

joenforcer

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm having a problem with my network after going into the test menu (*#*#4636#*#*). I'm hoping someone can help me out, and hopefully this will also help others in the future that have the same problem. I haven't seen any other discussion about this for this phone.

Background: I was helping a friend re-enable 4G LTE on her HTC Thunderbolt, which the store had disabled for her when she first got it because 4G was not yet available in her city. I figured this was done in the test menu, so I went to it from mhy phone to help her set similar settings.

The Problem: Stupidly enough, because I love tinkering with things, I pressed the menu button (...) and pressed the "Set GSM/UMTS Band" button. My two options were "USA Band" and "Cellular". I panicked a bit, then thinking, decided to select "USA Band". When I did that, I was on Verizon Wireless, and I get LTE data. However, I can't make or receive phone calls. My phone won't ring (though it "rings" for the person trying to call me and they get to my voicemail). If I try to call someone else, it hangs perpetually at "dialing". Setting the band to "Cellular" gives me both LTE/1X data and phone calls, but now I'm perpetually stuck on "Extended Network", which I can only imagine is U.S. Cellular in my area.

Normally, this wouldn't be a problem. I can make and receive calls just fine, data works OK. However, I'm afraid that when I travel and (what I think is) U.S. Cellular, I'm going to be in trouble, and not be able to make or receive phone calls. I need to fix this before I travel. I understand that doing a factory reset or SBF to ICS will solve the problem (please confirm if this will fix it?), but that's my ultimate and final solution. I'm not rooted right now so I don't have the luxury of backing up my app data and text messages, and would like to find a different way to fix this first if it exists. I'm hoping I didn't permanently screw up my phone. Any help is appreciated.

bamdien

Reaction score
i have the same problem but i have only one choice "USA Band" and i selected this :frown:. you are lucky when have "Cellular" option. i live in vietnam and now after doing a factory reset nothing changed T.T.

D_Nostradamus

Reaction score
Finally got it back

I ran into the same problem with my Droid 4, playing around with tel info I found this "select frequency". The only option is "US band"... don't know why to select this, but - damn stupid me - I chose this option!
I get GSM (live in Germany) back to work using tel info tool, build.prop, global mode and so on, but no more UMTS available ... :sad:
After odyssey of things: wipe, factory reset, new custom rom, factory reset of stock, flash original ICS stock (!) - still no UMTS... :frown: hard to believe. I expected this would really reset everything.
Finally I could get back UMTS only by following these instructions:
Potential Solution for Unlocking Bands on Droid 4 in US - xda-developers
Setting the values to zeros was the key.
Phew, that was a hard long way.
Looks like the tel info frequency selection results in some very deep block of other frequencies - this button is dangerous.

helron

Reaction score
What is a UMTS CM10.1 Rom? RE telephone usage| What is reason to use it on rooted phone.

msupp

Reaction score
Trouble with RadioComm

I ran into the same problem with my Droid 4, playing around with tel info I found this "select frequency". The only option is "US band"... don't know why to select this, but - damn stupid me - I chose this option!
I get GSM (live in Germany) back to work using tel info tool, build.prop, global mode and so on, but no more UMTS available ... :sad:
After odyssey of things: wipe, factory reset, new custom rom, factory reset of stock, flash original ICS stock (!) - still no UMTS... :frown: hard to believe. I expected this would really reset everything.
Finally I could get back UMTS only by following these instructions:
Potential Solution for Unlocking Bands on Droid 4 in US - xda-developers
Setting the values to zeros was the key.
Phew, that was a hard long way.
Looks like the tel info frequency selection results in some very deep block of other frequencies - this button is dangerous.

So I'm having the same issue...I've been traveling for a few months, and used 10 different sim's no problem. And I am in Russia now, and I had a problem initially connecting (which was identified and solved) but in the meantime, I made the stupid mistake of pressing "USA Band Only". But I'm on ICS with a Droid Razr Maxx. When you opened RadioComm, what did you do to get your device to be recognized? I can't get it to see my phone.

Thanks

D_Nostradamus

Reaction score
So I'm having the same issue...I've been traveling for a few months, and used 10 different sim's no problem. And I am in Russia now, and I had a problem initially connecting (which was identified and solved) but in the meantime, I made the stupid mistake of pressing "USA Band Only". But I'm on ICS with a Droid Razr Maxx. When you opened RadioComm, what did you do to get your device to be recognized? I can't get it to see my phone.

Thanks

That's been already a long time, I can't remember... I think, I just followed the 8 steps given in the description linked.
Look for some button/entry "NV" in RadioComm, then just try to "read" the value with different options - that finally worked. RadioComm is a real technician expert tool... not designed for us amateur users :sad:
Sorry, can't help you more.