Terrible experience with Verizon customer service

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by falord, Jun 8, 2010.

1. falord

falord New Member

My Droid was dunked in a cup of water by my 1 year old, and I don't have insurance. I know I'm a complete idiot and should have gotten insurance and I've learned my lesson.

So I look at Craigslist to buy a used one. I looked up what to check for to make sure I wasn't getting scammed and found out I had to verify that the ESN was clean with Verizon. Before I pay the guy for my phone, I call Verizon to check the ESN. The lady I talk to says "That ESN is clear and we will be able to activate that phone whenever your ready". I was in a hurry to get back to work, so I decided to activate it later and paid the guy.

The phone I'm using now is a piece of crap ENV2 that turns itself off all the time. Apparently it turned it's self off when I put it back into my pocket, because later that day I turned it back on and noticed I had a voice mail. It was the customer service rep from Verizon telling me that the ESN was in fact not clear and that I wouldn't be able to activate it.:angry:

I called Verizon twice and spoke to two separate supervisors, but they both told me that I was basically screwed and that the phone cannot be removed from the negative list unless it's approved from the previous owner, which they wouldn't help me with either. I have never been so pissed off in my life.
  2. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

so this is your first post? what do you want us to do about it...? call craigslist or paypal or whatever you used to pay and get them to cancel the transaction.
  3. Corinacakes

Corinacakes DF Super Moderator Theme Developer

Omg! I'm so sorry :(
  4. falord

falord New Member

Just venting. Can't get money back as the seller won't answer any of my calls. Imagine that.

I do understand that Verizon is very limited in what they could do, it's just a crappy situation to be in.
  5. Sam

oh i agree.. you aren't the first to be screwed by a craigslist seller. i think it's just best to assume that everything there is stolen.
  6. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Title should be...Terrible experience with Craigslist Seller
  7. Sam

i guess but vzw DID tell him that the esn was clear, apparently without actually checking it...
  8. Beardface

Beardface Member

Didn't we just have a post yesterday from someone who noticed his stolen phone was on Craigslist?

Wonder if its the same phone!
  9. Sam

yeah, that's why i said not the first (or 30th probably) on this forum... it just hardly ever ends well.
  10. laclark2002

laclark2002 New Member

Sorry to hear that you got screwed. If you paid with cash you are basically hosed unless you met the guy at his house to buy it. If you paid with a Check you would need to call your bank and have a stop payment put on it if it hasn't already been cashed (sooner rather than later). Otherwise if you have his name or home phone number you can do a lookup in White Pages to find his address and report it to the Police. They should be able to recover your funds.

Good luck!
  11. falord

falord New Member

Apparently she just checked to see if it was currently activated on an account. Then checked the negative list after we hung up.

So now I have a water damaged Droid with a clear ESN and a working Droid with a bad ESN. Any ideas? Or just sell them on ebay for people who want parts?
  12. verian

verian Guest

I wonder of the 30+ post of this nature should be titled "lost My Droid and I bought your lost Droid on Graig's list please help"

That is to bad and I'm not making light of your situation its become an epidemic. Apparently Droids have passed high end motor vehicles on the criminal the 10 of crap to steal.
  13. laclark2002

laclark2002 New Member

The only way around it is to change the ESN which is not legal and I doubt that you will find anyone to help you do that here. While you can try to sell them for parts I wouldn't recommend doing that for the blacklisted one. If anyone checks that ESN and finds it to be blacklisted they can always come after you assuming you stole the phone. :(
  14. falord

falord New Member

There's listings all over Ebay that say bad ESN. As long as I'm up front about it, I shouldn't have any issues with it, right?
  15. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

You definitely should be up front and say it has a bad ESN (tell them your Craigslist experience why it is bad). You won't get as much for it, but you should get something for it.

It's entirely possible when you called to see if the ESN was clear, it was clear at the time. Who knows, the very next call could have been the owner of that Droid calliing in to report it lost/stolen.

Unfortunate situation, but hope it has a good resolution for you.
  16. laclark2002

laclark2002 New Member

Yeah, I would think that would be alright. I just don't want you to get nailed for something that you really had no control over which is why I brought it up.
  17. Sam

you could at least get something for the battery ;)
  18. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team Staff Member Premium Member

Yea that does suck and 'some' verions reps arent the friendliest... if this is in fact true, they should have a record of your first call and they should be held responsible..
  19. Droids

Droids New Member

Was the water damaged phone properly dried out yet? If so have you tried the battery from the bad esn phone in the water damaged phone?

Did you meet the seller at his house? Still have his phone number? Contact the local police yet? Person sold you stolen goods, why are you not pursuing this?
  20. PetRiLJoe

PetRiLJoe New Member

Cool guess what!

I bought an env2 off a very trustable source, my own friend that I know in real life! I was able to activate it on my plan no problem. Then one day I ugpraded to the Motorola Droid and when I wanted to switch my current env2 over to another phone line on my Verizon plan, which is currently being unused by any other cell phones at the moment, I found that the phone was reported lost or stolen after some time of being activated on my account. I can only imagine she did this to get a free phone replacement from Verizon so that she can activate it on her account, and now she has fifty bucks in her pocket to go feed her cow with.

Moral of the story...... don't buy used phones. There are scams that you and I cannot predict will happen. Oh and screw that dumbass girl that sold me the phone. I don't talk to her anymore.

IN MY EXPERIENCES: Verizon will not deactivate your phone if it is already activated then reported lost or stolen by someone else.
    Verizon will NOT TELL YOU the phone has been reported lost or stolen at ANY TIME DURING YOUR OWNERSHIP!
    Verizon will NOT TELL YOU this information before you deactivate it so that you can keep your phone activated. I assume they do this because they are jerks who don't feel bad about screwing people over who were already screwed over by someone else.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
Search tags for this page
clear phone off verizon negitive list
how do i take my verizon phone off of the lost or stolen lis

how long do verizon phones stay on the lost or stolen list

how long does a phone stay blacklisted on verizon

how long does a phone stay on the lost or stolen list

how long does a verizon phone stay reported lost or stolen

how to get a phone off the lost or stolen list verizon

how to get a verizon phone off the negative list

phone on negative list

verison negative list esn