94lt1

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
My phone is constantly being browsed on, and fb, and the DROIDX forums. Actually I think what really helped was shutting it off last night and charging it. It was doing great today. Sooooooo..... a charging issue perhaps??? Idk but all is great now. Thanks

sent from my RAZR MAXX

OP
94lt1

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Amazing some of the low battery life I am seeing in different threads. I have been using mine daily without regard to battery life. I usually go 12-14 hours off charge and get 4+ hours of screen on time and am usually at 40-50% left. I have no smart actions set, screen at 80%, GPS, wifi and bt on all the time.

Once my day starts it gets hectic for my phone. After I get up and get going.... my phone can be in constant use for 6 hours or better. That's screen on time. Possibly even streaming.

But my phone was an animal at first. I was able to browse for nearly 14 hours and still had battery in reserve. But its doing awesome again... so I'm thrilled
sent from my RAZR MAXX

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I've posted on this subject numerous times on various threads, but for the benefit of those here, please read the following:

Simple Guidelines for Charging Lithium-based Batteries

• [*=1]A portable device should be turned off while charging. This allows the battery to reach the threshold voltage unhindered and reflects the correct saturation current responsible to terminate the charge. A parasitic load confuses the charger.
This is the first in a group of recommendations from Battery University (link below).

This means, while charging if the phone decides to do something (such as downloading email, updating the facebook stuff, or some other activity that increases power consumption), the charger could be fooled into thinking the battery has reached it's overcharge cutoff threshold, so the charger stops charging the phone. This could happen even at only 70%-80% of capacity. This is likely why those who have charged their phones while powered down "seem" to have "fixed" the bad charging. It's no miracle, just simple electrochemistry.

Also information on Wikipedia (which actually came from the Battery University website), shows that charging or discharging to the limits actually reduces battery lifespan, and that multiple charges of lesser amounts throughout the day, and avoidance of deeper discharges will help to extend the battery's life.
Prolonging battery pack life

• Avoid deep discharge and instead charge more often between uses, the smaller the depth of discharge, the longer the battery will last.[SUP][96][/SUP]
  • Avoid storing the battery in full discharged state. As the battery will self-discharge overtime, its voltage will gradually lower, and when it is depleted below the low-voltage threshold (2.4 to 2.9 V/cell, depending on chemistry) it cannot be charged anymore because the protection circuit (a type of electronic fuse) disables it.[SUP][96][/SUP]​
  • Lithium-ion batteries should be kept cool; they may be stored in a refrigerator.[SUP][96][/SUP][SUP][97][/SUP]​
  • The rate of degradation of Lithium-ion batteries is strongly temperature-dependent; they degrade much faster if stored or used at higher temperatures.[SUP][96][/SUP][SUP][98][/SUP]

The full scoop is here, and scroll to the bottom to get the nitty gritty on this subject (including the one-liner above).

Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries

Last edited:

dolfanpete

Reaction score
I got 18 and a half hours Sunday. Mostly Wi-Fi

Monday at work toggling between 3g and 4g and using google maps navigation and a lot of web surfing. And with all that I got 14 hours with 20% remaining.

Try getting juice defender to help preserve battery life. And shut off running apps that don't need to run.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

IanBadeer

Reaction score
Have noticed a significant drop in battery life since the OTA update. Previously would run the phone for 12 hours and be at 40%, now I'm hitting 40% after just 6 hours.

Edit: Also noting higher battery temperatures since I got a case for the phone. Previously would run at 80F without case and now at 98F with case on. Not sure if the higher temps are also related to the poor battery performance.

Last edited:

xxwabbit

Reaction score
Amazing some of the low battery life I am seeing in different threads. I have been using mine daily without regard to battery life. I usually go 12-14 hours off charge and get 4+ hours of screen on time and am usually at 40-50% left. I have no smart actions set, screen at 80%, GPS, wifi and bt on all the time.
^ditto! It's great not having to worry about battery life. When I first got this phone, I was still in the paranoia mode..worrying whether or not I should charge it before I left home.

OP
94lt1

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Thank fox.... I was aware of your comments... I've found what my issue was... yes it was the phone only charging to 70-80% as you said. However. When my phone is in my hands its multi tasking with the screen on. Though I keep my screen dim at all times.... the screen, browser, Facebook, and the DROID forums all running for 3-4 hours at a time, between rehearsals without a charge is what was killing it. I tried it on my bionic with the normal battery.... no way it was gonna happen. So it was an over use issue. The phone kept up at first, but lost it. Then after turning it off to charge... it was keeping up again.

This phone gets used.... lol. And it keeps up. I love it.

sent from my RAZR MAXX

PapiLouis

Reaction score
Ive gotten low battery after charging sessions as well, but most of the energy drained is from the android os app, "kernel". is this the same problem as Fox mentioned about not charging fully??

cece5702

Reaction score
16 hours my phone has been off the charger and I'm at 70% battery left. Phone calls, texting, twitter and a few videos! I love this baby ;-)

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX

Section_10

Reaction score
16 hours my phone has been off the charger and I'm at 70% battery left. Phone calls, texting, twitter and a few videos! I love this baby ;-)

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX

Ha, yes, this is what I expected from this phone. Just not what I got.

Phillies

Reaction score
I get 11 hours before my battery is dead... and that's with zero phone calls...

LesDroid

Reaction score
Am getting terrible battery, At work theres not to much signal and i dont know if it waste more battery because is always searching but i get to work at 7am, by 10am i already have 50%, without using it. Also this has happen twice already, when i plug it to charge, say is at 50%, it discharges the battery instead of charging. Whats going on here? plz help

OP
94lt1

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Wow... this was one of my very first threads.... man have I learned a ton about this phone since then... :D

Did you read the posts ahead of you in this thread??? It should help you :)

Are you running smart actions battery extender? What's your signal like?
Screen on time?

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Wow... this was one of my very first threads.... man have I learned a ton about this phone since then... :D

Did you read the posts ahead of you in this thread??? It should help you :)

Are you running smart actions battery extender? What's your signal like?
Screen on time?

I read the posts before I glanced at the date of this thread ... it was another one of them there Twilight Zone moments :icon_eek: :rofl3: