1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Terrible battery thread

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR MAXX' started by 94lt1, Feb 19, 2012.

1. 94lt1

94lt1 Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

So since the ota my battery has been getting pretty bad life. I'm just past the 14 days. So that would mean a CLNR device.. no thanks. I've seen that u should and shouldn't deep cycle the battery. And that you should and shouldn't run it dead and recharge it.

I personally don't know. When I ran mine dead, an emergency came up and I had to unplug it and run...with 40% battery on it. So maybe that's part of NY issue.

I keep everything off on my phone. And the odd thing is, I used to get almost 14 hours of almost straight running time off my battery... that meaning usage. Now I'd be lucky to get 5.

I'm getting concerned. Thoughts?? I appreciate it.

sent from my RAZR MAXX
  2. msblueline

msblueline New Member

Run it dead before bed then plug it in and charge it fully.

Give it a reset. Just don't make a habit of it.

I'm running mine dead for the first time tonight. Then going to plug it in and charge it full over night. We'll see if that works. I only got 14 hours out of it today.

msblueline

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using DroidForums.
  3. 94lt1

I've had mine off charge for 2 hours and I'm down to 50%... using fb, the browser and this forum. But still wow. Idk. I hope this resolves itself. I don't want a cleaner phone

sent from my RAZR MAXX
  4. msblueline

msblueline New Member

I'm at 5% 15 hours. Waiting to charge it up. You might have something running in the background. Menu, settings, apps, running apps. See what's eating your battery.

msblueline

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using DroidForums.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  5. rlarson_mn

rlarson_mn New Member

My experience is the exact opposite of yours. I have had great battery life right out of the box. After the update about a week ago my battery life has actually gotten better. When on wifi doing my usual heavy use age of my unit my battery reading after a 16 hour day is in the mid to upper 60%. When away from wifi and on 3G the entire day doing the exact same thing but adding BT head set as well as GPS the lowest I have ever gotten is 30% and that's with not charging of any kind during the days use age.
    The only setting I have changed is the screen to 29%. No smart actions or task manager intervention.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  6. cece5702

cece5702 Member

Are you using Task Manager? Smart Actions? These two are phenomenal on battery life.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX
  7. 94lt1

I have everything set to shut down with task killer. My big battery eaters are the screen and browser.

But here's what's happened today. I turned off my phone last night, and let it charge over night. I usually charge overnight anyway. But now the battery is lasting like it used too.

Charger issue possibly or maybe a charging issue??.

As far as apps... I have 5 apps on my phone that didnt come with it. Power amp, DROID forums, another forum, power amp unlocker, history eraser. That's it.

So it seems that turning the phone off and letting it charge helped tremendously. Oddly.... so I'll continue to do that if need be. Sure won't be taking a CLNR phone....

sent from my RAZR MAXX
  8. 94lt1

The odd thing is, I had my phone set just this way and I was getting 14 hours of constant use out of my phone. Anyhow... I just disabled background data... see if that helps.

sent from my RAZR MAXX
  9. cece5702

cece5702 Member

That's good :) I'm not talking about Task killers its Task Manager its built into your phone. It's a pre-installed App on the Maxx

10. 94lt1

I follow, I don't use task killers from the market... they don't allow the phone to operate correctly. I use the stock app. And have everything set to kill after the screen goes off.

sent from my RAZR MAXX
  11. cece5702

cece5702 Member

OK! Awesome :)

12. 94lt1

So I installed juice defender.. on aggressive and now its working a lot better. I'm sitting at 90% battery. When I rehearse I always plug In my phone, idk y... but I do. So its working well now

sent from my RAZR MAXX
  13. MysticalDreams

MysticalDreams Member

IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back
    why are you running them dead? I thought with this type of battery running them dead hurts the battery not enhances it.
  14. Garemlin

Garemlin Developer Relations

Amazing some of the low battery life I am seeing in different threads. I have been using mine daily without regard to battery life. I usually go 12-14 hours off charge and get 4+ hours of screen on time and am usually at 40-50% left. I have no smart actions set, screen at 80%, GPS, wifi and bt on all the time.
  15. cece5702

cece5702 Member

JD is good! I used it on other phones but don't need it on the Maxx!

16. 94lt1

My phone is constantly being browsed on, and fb, and the DROIDX forums. Actually I think what really helped was shutting it off last night and charging it. It was doing great today. Sooooooo..... a charging issue perhaps??? Idk but all is great now. Thanks

sent from my RAZR MAXX
  17. 94lt1

Once my day starts it gets hectic for my phone. After I get up and get going.... my phone can be in constant use for 6 hours or better. That's screen on time. Possibly even streaming.

But my phone was an animal at first. I was able to browse for nearly 14 hours and still had battery in reserve. But its doing awesome again... so I'm thrilled
    sent from my RAZR MAXX
  18. FoxKat

FoxKat Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I've posted on this subject numerous times on various threads, but for the benefit of those here, please read the following:

Simple Guidelines for Charging Lithium-based Batteries

• [*=1]A portable device should be turned off while charging. This allows the battery to reach the threshold voltage unhindered and reflects the correct saturation current responsible to terminate the charge. A parasitic load confuses the charger.
    This is the first in a group of recommendations from Battery University (link below).

This means, while charging if the phone decides to do something (such as downloading email, updating the facebook stuff, or some other activity that increases power consumption), the charger could be fooled into thinking the battery has reached it's overcharge cutoff threshold, so the charger stops charging the phone. This could happen even at only 70%-80% of capacity. This is likely why those who have charged their phones while powered down "seem" to have "fixed" the bad charging. It's no miracle, just simple electrochemistry.

Also information on Wikipedia (which actually came from the Battery University website), shows that charging or discharging to the limits actually reduces battery lifespan, and that multiple charges of lesser amounts throughout the day, and avoidance of deeper discharges will help to extend the battery's life.
    Prolonging battery pack life

• Avoid deep discharge and instead charge more often between uses, the smaller the depth of discharge, the longer the battery will last.[SUP][96][/SUP]
    • Avoid storing the battery in full discharged state. As the battery will self-discharge overtime, its voltage will gradually lower, and when it is depleted below the low-voltage threshold (2.4 to 2.9 V/cell, depending on chemistry) it cannot be charged anymore because the protection circuit (a type of electronic fuse) disables it.[SUP][96][/SUP]​
    • Lithium-ion batteries should be kept cool; they may be stored in a refrigerator.[SUP][96][/SUP][SUP][97][/SUP]​
    • The rate of degradation of Lithium-ion batteries is strongly temperature-dependent; they degrade much faster if stored or used at higher temperatures.[SUP][96][/SUP][SUP][98][/SUP]

The full scoop is here, and scroll to the bottom to get the nitty gritty on this subject (including the one-liner above).

Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries
  19. dolfanpete

dolfanpete New Member

I got 18 and a half hours Sunday. Mostly Wi-Fi

Monday at work toggling between 3g and 4g and using google maps navigation and a lot of web surfing. And with all that I got 14 hours with 20% remaining.

Try getting juice defender to help preserve battery life. And shut off running apps that don't need to run.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
  20. IanBadeer

IanBadeer New Member

Have noticed a significant drop in battery life since the OTA update. Previously would run the phone for 12 hours and be at 40%, now I'm hitting 40% after just 6 hours.

Edit: Also noting higher battery temperatures since I got a case for the phone. Previously would run at 80F without case and now at 98F with case on. Not sure if the higher temps are also related to the poor battery performance.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012