TERRIBLE battery life

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by Official_n00b, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Official_n00b

Official_n00b New Member

Just trying to see if anyone else has this same issue, if it's just me, or if I did something wrong.

Anyways, I was running SS 5.4 since the day after it was released. I got it from this thread:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/chevyno1/150739-rom-ss-5-4-gb-2-3-4-5-31-11-a.html

Once I got it installed correctly, it's been great. I installed the 1.1GHz ulowV kernal. I would unplug my phone in the morning and when I got home on a work day, it would be around 60% (don't have a lot of signal at work so it does a lot of signal searching). If it was a weekend, it would only drop to 70% or 80%.

A couple days ago I recently saw a thread for Patch 1 from this thread:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/chevyno1/151601-ota-patch-1-a.html

After installing this patch, my battery life SUCKS!! I'll unplug the phone at 4:30AM when I get up and by 1PM, the phone is completely dead (ie, shuts off). I don't even do anything with the phone, it just sits in my pocket for that time. Then I plug it in and let it charge for 1-2 hours. By the time I go to bed around 10, the phone is dead again.

Not only that, since the patch it will no longer play ANY videos or take any pictures on the camera.

Is this a common issue? Is this patch not intended for this ROM (see user name, n00b here)? I restored to the backup right before the patch and everything is back to running great.
  2. tee00max

tee00max New Member

yeah I had some bad battery life as well especially lastnight, was 100% then went to sleep with it off the charger and woke up it was on 50%.
  3. rmart88

rmart88 New Member

I have a similar issue. Im doing some trouble shooting now to figure out what my issue is, ill post back here if i find anything in particular. I didnt really notice it right after the Patch, rather just in the last couple days.

Here is what i have thus far:

This morning, after a full night of charging, I rebooted into recovery --> Wiped cache (5x) --> Rebooted into recovery --> wiped Battery Stats (5x). Now waiting to see if there is any improvement from yesterday. Currently after 5 hours of use, I am at 90% which is pretty good, but i think my real issues lies at lower %'s falling off much faster, we'll see when i get there i suppose.
  4. hags2k

hags2k New Member

I've noticed a similar problem. I wouldn't say the battery life is TERRIBLE, but it seems to be a good 25 percent reduction over my previous battery life.

I'm going to try the cache wiping/battery stats wiping suggestions above and see if it helps.

EDIT: By the way, i do notice that, according to setCPU, my cpu is spending an awful lot of time at 550 mhz using Chevy's Kernel. This is even when I have the "screen off" profile set to 125 min 550 max, conservative governor. It used to spend more time at 125 and 250 mhz, if i recall correctly. I can't reduce the max frequency to 250, though, because at that speed I sometimes am unable to answer phone calls because my phone is too unresponsive!
  5. Official_n00b

Official_n00b New Member

My battery life has been absolutely terrible with that patch. Like I said, it totally drained the battery TWICE in one day (and I didn't even do anything with the phone). When I looked at the battery usage it was nearly all to "Android OS".

I switched back this morning and I'm still at 80%. Something about the patch causes my phone to eat the battery and not play videos.
  6. zevelking

zevelking New Member

Same Here. batt. dead within 2-3 hours and charging takes for ever.
    Just ordered a new batt. thinking its time for replacement.
  7. bigeric828

bigeric828 New Member

Do me a favor and check battery usage. If android OS is really high then you need to up voltage or lower speed.
  8. Ma_USMC

Ma_USMC New Member

Agreed. high temps, can't use any of the ulv roms with any stability, poor battery life.

Something is a miss.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  9. Ma_USMC

Ma_USMC New Member

I should add that I did a fac reset and dumped everything. Still can't get back to the 5.2 1.2ulv work horse I had.

I'm running the 900lv now. Noticing that it runs at 400 rather than 550 at idle. Seems to help fight heat...

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  10. rmart88

rmart88 New Member

This seemed to work for me guys! yesterday, after 15 hours, my phone was completely drained (sent about 10 texts, 10 minutes on phone call, screen off other than that). Today, after 13 hours I am at 90% still!! sent about 5 texts, 5 minutes on phone call, screen off other than that. anyone having issues, give that shot and try it for a day.
  11. hags2k

hags2k New Member

As a way of comparison, I flashed CM 7.0.3 stable. I figured that since SS is based on CM now, it might provide a useful comparison. I also flashed the same kernel I was using, the latest version of Chevy's ultra low voltage at 1.1 Ghz.

Things I've noticed so far:

It takes longer to charge my phone to full capacity. Perhaps I wasn't getting a full charge on SS 5.4+OTA Patch 1?

Android OS is still the biggest user on "battery stats" (this is unlike every version of SS I'd run previously, back to 4.9.6). Beforehand, it was always "phone idle" and "cell standby". Perhaps it's a kernel issue? I upgraded my kernel at the same time...

According to SetCPU, my CPU is spending MUCH more time at the lowest frequency settings. I've set my profiles to go into 125 min 550 max, conservative governor when the screen is off, and right now the stats say I've spent 50% of the time at 125mhz. On SS 5.4/OTA Patch 1, it sticks at 550 all the time. CM does seem to stick at 550, but only when plugged in, and I really don't care what clock speed it runs at when charging.

So far (only drained my battery 70 percent or so), the battery life seems better. CM is noticeably less "snappy" than SS is, and I tend to have more low memory issues, which is a bummer.

I did a full nandroid backup so I might restore that tomorrow. My install of CM is totally fresh, and I re-downloaded all my apps from the market. I'll report back to see if I'm getting decent battery life, though. The real test is after my battery drops below 50%.

I do hope that I can go back to SS. CM is a great mod, and I use it on my older Eris, but Chevy's tweaks and additions in SS really improve on it quite a bit. It's really a great ROM. Unfortunately, no ROM is useful if my phone is dead :)

EDIT: I'm also going to try another suggestion and flash a higher-voltage Chevy kernel.
  12. RoyR80

RoyR80 New Member

I personally had this issue and my fix was stepping up voltage. (No ulv for me)
  13. hags2k

hags2k New Member

Honestly, I flashed a higher-voltage Chevy kernel (still on CM, haven't restored SS yet) and even after just a few minutes of heavy use, I've noticed a huge difference. Can't speak to the battery yet, but the performance is MUCH improved. Also, it seems more stable (the weather channel app was spontaneously closing, which it is no longer doing).

I'll probably restore SS tomorrow and flash the higher-voltage kernel and see if that's the source of some of my issues. It just seems odd that ulv worked for so long and doesn't seem to work anymore. It probably doesn't make much difference, though, since my phone spends most of its time at the lowest speeds anyway.
  14. EAK

EAK New Member

Yeah sounds like a kernel issue that you are having, cause the battery life has been great for me. One time I had it last 3 days, granted it was with light usage, but still. On average it lasts a day and a half easy.
  15. bigeric828

bigeric828 New Member

anytime android OS is the highest battery user, you want to up voltage.
  16. hags2k

hags2k New Member

That seems to have done the trick. After flashing the replacing the ULV with the LV version, the battery use statistics are back where they should be. I suspect this was the cause of my problems.

I never suspected this, though, since I'd been using Chevy's ULV kernels since I first rooted my phone, and only just recently had this problem. However, the fact that it was an issue in both SS and CM suggests that it wasn't something in the ROM itself that changed, so the culprit is either my phone or some subtle change in Chevy's recent kernels. No big deal, though, just glad it's working properly.
  17. lmg95

lmg95 New Member

Same as all of you here... overheating and terrible battery so yesterday I went to the med voltage and things are noticeably better. I'm only running 900 MHz but Android OS is still up there in the battery usage.
  18. RoyR80

RoyR80 New Member

Unfortunately its hard to pin point to culprit. :-/ But what can be identified is that overclocking and undervolting does take its toll on batteries and processors alike. It just maybe that "your" components have reached a point that they no longer "like" ulv kernels. :-(
    However, im glad to hear that things are returning to normal for ya. dancedroid
  19. b-jammin21

b-jammin21 New Member

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I've also been having bad battery life and heat issues, and mine seems to be across all kernels. See my thread "In DESPERATE Need of Kernel Help."

I created that thread for this very same issue that you are having. So, once again, I'm glad its not just me, cuz I'm not ready for the ol' Droid to kick the bucket.
  20. bigeric828

bigeric828 New Member

ya u jsut dnt want android OS at 15% or more.

its at 8-12% for me typically but i still get good battery life. About a day on heavy use.
Search tags for this page

battery life patch for droid x2

droid 3 is terrible

droid ultra battery life terrible